Retirement gift to self?

Ready2Go

Recycles dryer sheets
Did a quick search and didn't see a thread on this. I apologize if it has been discussed.

What retirement gifts have people treated themselves to? I've been saying for years that I was going to get myself a nice watch (Omega Seamaster). I always wanted a nice (but not flashy) watch.

What have others treated themselves to?

Retirement itself, and then the long planned travels. The thought of something tangible never entered either of our minds. OTOH, if you have always thought a watch would be nice, go for it! :dance:

Two days after I retired, we were on a plane to South America for a 14 day tour. We were in Chile, Argentina, and Brazil. The highlight was a trip through the rapids of Iguassu falls and actually went under one of the falls.

Attachments

• South America 2009.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 49
When I retired, my DW gave me "stuff" for my 1960's era/vintage cars.... Kept me busy for years.

Last edited:
I didn't buy anything on the day I retired, because Frank took me out to lunch at my favorite fancy restaurant to celebrate, his treat.

I went clothes shopping at a "Dress Barn" clothing store just a few hundred feet from my former office on the day after I retired. I bought three pairs of nice, warm, long pants; it was November and starting to get colder.

Then a couple of months after retiring, I bought my 2009 Toyota Venza as a gift to myself. Part of my retirement plan was to retire with a brand new car so I made that happen.

I think you should buy that nice Omega watch! It sounds like a perfect (though somewhat traditional) retirement present.

No big splurge, but when i retired I had to give up the company iPhone. No problem, I'll get a cheap cell phone.

Then again, I was used to the iPhone.

So, after considering that my friends had grandkids with iPhones, I figured I was worth the extra bux.:D

Retirement itself, and then the long planned travels. The thought of something tangible never entered either of our minds. OTOH, if you have always thought a watch would be nice, go for it! :dance:

Pretty much the same here. I am so glad to just be retired, as it was not truly planned to the extent as some members here, although the travel part has been temporarily put on hold.

I've no need for a watch, but I treated myself to a trip to Costa Rica. Planning that trip kept me sane in the last few months at MegaMotors.

My mates at work did give me a really nice watch. And I keep thinking I should buy myself a nice retirement gift.

But I am too cheap to splurge-so far. But maybe a car.

Several months after retiring, I bought a new vehicle (Toyota RAV4.). The only reason for buying it was that I received a decent private party price for my old Honda.

I guess old habits do not change.

I

We went on a Northern European cruise and splurged for a sweet. The memories are priceless.

A set of Waterford Crystal old fashion glasses to toast my retirement.
Simple pleasures for a simple mind I guess.

A set of Waterford Crystal old fashion glasses to toast my retirement.

Simple pleasures for a simple mind I guess.

Those are nice and I’d love to have some. But things tend to get broken in my house. I love my wife, but she’s a bit clumsy.

Nevah thought about a retirement gift for me. lol

I have always just bought an item/product if I needed or wanted something. So, I guess I gifted myself all through life, with really no meaning behind the gift to me.

Yeah.... Out of the original set of 4 I'm down to two.
But still enjoying them

at retirement in 2005 i bought us...myself...a new Dell Laptop... D800 i think. kept it for 14-yrs when we replaced it with a newer model. i tend to keep things a while. at d+1 we took off on 9-10 week RV excursion thru the upper midwest the highpoint of which was doing the Macinac Bridge Walk on Labor Day. including the bridge (5-mi) plus both approches (1-mi each) and the walk back to the bus to to take me back to the campground i did between 8-9 miles that day. that was a very good day.

Not exactly a retirement gift for "me", but we did have a plan to install an inground pool. We did that this past summer, about a year and 1/2 after retirement due to planning and lead time. We (Me, DW, Grandkids) had a great time this summer and we didn't even get in until July1st. Already looking forward to next year and years to come.

I've also bought a few other things like my truck, but nothing beats the joy in just being retired. That's the best gift I've ever given myself.

I decided to treat myself to a new vehicle since megacorp made me turn in the company car. Same with laptop. I dug up DDs old Dell from college but couldn’t decide if I wanted to get a car or a pickup truck......finally settled on a new John Deere riding mower.

DW and I retired within a few months of each other 4-1/2 years ago. Shortly after we retired, we bought a new 38’ motorhome and a new Jeep to tow behind it. We’ve had some great trips so far, and looking forward to many more as the COVID risk starts to ease up.

I was going to buy a new (used) car when I retired to replace my 10-year old Subaru. Then I found out that you could take up to a year leave without pay (govt. job) and it would still count as employable time towards your pension as long as you paid both shares of the pension. I had enough savings so I took a one full year of leave just before I turned 54 (retirement was at 55).

So, I "bought" myself an extra year of retirement as a retirement gift :cool:

I told myself that when I retired I would treat myself to two new books a month. I just started and am patiently waiting the 4 I just ordered. I need some good reading for the coming cold months of winter.

We planned an end of the year trip-- 2 weeks in Hawaii--Oahu and the Big Island.
Christmas in Hawaii, it was beautiful!

When I first retired I purchased a new Porsche Twin Turbo S. I have since sold it as I did not use it as much as I thought. I enjoyed looking at it in the Garage and doing the regular maintenance more than actually driving it. Oh Well. Live and Learn.

Back
Top Bottom