Sad incident at our hotel this afternoon

Two differences I observe now from when I also walked to school through elementary school, and rode public transportation for middle and high school in the Big Bad City:

1) A lot more people were home. There were more 1 income families, and you would see more people out and about during the time one was walking.

2) Strangers were more likely to get involved to protect kids in public. I can recall many incidents of adults, even teenagers, approaching a situation to ascertain if the child was being bothered by a stranger. Even gangs, or those groups thought of as "radicals" had a "moral code" that young children were off limits and would protect them if they thought they would be bothered.

+ This summary nails it.

Two differences I observe now from when I also walked to school through elementary school, and rode public transportation for middle and high school in the Big Bad City:

1) A lot more people were home. There were more 1 income families, and you would see more people out and about during the time one was walking.

2) Strangers were more likely to get involved to protect kids in public. I can recall many incidents of adults, even teenagers, approaching a situation to ascertain if the child was being bothered by a stranger. Even gangs, or those groups thought of as "radicals" had a "moral code" that young children were off limits and would protect them if they thought they would be bothered.

I miss those days. Growing up, we never locked our doors. Dad never locked our one car. Kids roamed freely and, for the most part, safely. I still recall 2 or 3 of us guys would sling our .22 rifles over our shoulders and ride our bikes out of town to plink. Sister and I (together, or separately) would ride the bus anyplace in town to shop or run errands for the folks, etc.

People looked out for kids and the elderly. It definitely was a different time. It's not all gone though. I still see a lot of that attitude in Hawaii and even some in my old home town. YMMV

My schools were 45min away from home and I walked for 10+ years in the sun/rain/snow until I went to college. I did many things on my own back then, good or bad, struggle through them without guidance, tough life does make one strong.

After I got marred and had 2 kids, I didn't want them go through what I did. I was over protect them. picked up and dropped off to any where that they needed, provided everything for them except moon.

They are grown ups now. They complaining that I was protecting them too much, did not allow their independence; always tell them what to do and didn't expand their creativity. they said they were stressed at home because I always hovering over them.

I am sad, shocked with their comments, but also confused with how to be a good parents. A good parents have to let the rope lose and yet not too lose, there is a fine line.

My schools were 45min away from home and I walked for 10+ years in the sun/rain/snow until I went to college. I did many things on my own back then, good or bad, struggle through them without guidance, tough life does make one strong.

After I got marred and had 2 kids, I didn't want them go through what I did. I was over protect them. picked up and dropped off to any where that they needed, provided everything for them except moon.

They are grown ups now. They complaining that I was protecting them too much, did not allow their independence; always tell them what to do and didn't expand their creativity. they said they were stressed at home because I always hovering over them.

I am sad, shocked with their comments, but also confused with how to be a good parents. A good parents have to let the rope lose and yet not too lose, there is a fine line.

We raised our kids to be independent and they complain about how hard they had it. SO, you can't "win." You love 'em and do the best you can. Only God will be able to judge you in the end.

Another one here. I walked to school, about ¾ of a mile, in Brooklyn, NY starting with first grade. My mom took me there the first day of first grade, and I was on my own for the next eight years.

Obviously, it was uphill both ways, in the snow, barefoot, with a 20 pound stack of textbooks plus my lard sandwich for lunch.

In my earlier years, I roamed about the neighborhood on my tricycle, for a radius of about half a mile.

But it was an utterly different time. Imagine two mail deliveries every day (five in the weeks before Christmas). Milk delivered in bottles to the milkbox on your front stoop every morning. Guys roaming through the neighborhood on horse-drawn wagons selling vegetables. A cigarette vending machine in nearly every store. Absolutely no comparison with modern times.
+1 This all sounds so familiar only for me it was in Arlington Va.

Cheers!

I used to walk to and back from elementary school in Detroit when I was 6.

I used to take the bus downtown to Tiger's games when I was 11 or so. Never seemed like a problem. We also used to walk the alleys behind the houses all the time. Walked the train tracks, too. I'm sure bad things happened, we just never heard about them.

Almost the exact same thing happened to me, right around 1970. My dad gave me his expired license so I of course immediately went out to the car in the driveway and put it into gear just like I'd seen my Dad do many times, rolled down the driveway and just missed a tree. My parents actually realized what was happening pretty quickly, but not much they could do but watch me roll down the driveway yelling at me to hit the brakes, like I knew what that was or could even reach the pedal.

That must've happened to just about everybody. I did it too. Mom took me to visit a friend, I got bored went back to the car, slipped it in reverse and rolled down the drive way into the driveway across the street.

Sad incident a week ago here locally. 4 year old girl slipped out of her house and went to small lake in the neighborhood. She would go there with her mother and feed fish. However this time by herself she ended up drowning. Very sad for the whole community.

Sad incident a week ago here locally. 4 year old girl slipped out of her house and went to small lake in the neighborhood. She would go there with her mother and feed fish. However this time by herself she ended up drowning. Very sad for the whole community.

Oh that’s terrible! So sad.

I used to take the bus downtown to Tiger's games when I was 11 or so. Never seemed like a problem. We also used to walk the alleys behind the houses all the time. Walked the train tracks, too. I'm sure bad things happened, we just never heard about them.

Much more recently, boss and I were staying at the RenCen for a conference. He and some other guys decided to take in a Tiger's game. No idea of which way they went, but police pulled them over and told them they were in a a dangerous neighborhood - and it was near the stadium. Things have changed since we were little kids. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom