Sincere apology to Tiger

robnplunder

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I wrote Tiger off more times I thought about ER before pulling the trigger. I wrote him off every time he had a major injury. I wrote him off as being too old. I wrote him off thinking he has no motivation to come back after achieving everything in pro golf. I wrote him off when I saw his mugshot on TV news. I wrote him off b/c no human being can come back in pro sport in similar situation. But there he is, finally, winning a major again. Thousand apologies to Tiger. Sorry for doubting you :facepalm::bow:

To me Sunday afternoon at the Masters is the greatest moment in [-]golf[/-] sports every year. Today was no exception. I didn’t think Tiger would win another major either, I was wrong.

Last edited:
It's hard to imagine what Tiger would have won over the years had his body held up to the physical pressures of the game. There's no telling what physical therapy he's gone through to get back to where he is today--not including working on his game. And he really has been tough mentally to overcome the physical ailments.

I’ve always wanted him to win at least one more. This was great to watch. I’m so happy for him.

I've always hoped he could come back and win some more titles, and majors, and FedEx Cups. He looks very healthy and happy and his game is in excellent shape, not to mention that he has deeper experience than anyone else in the game today. I actually think he'll win the FedEx Cup this year.

My DD worked for NIKE, as I did years ago. She knows the folks to are involved with NIKE's professional athletes. It was her opinion that Tiger came under the influence of a problematic caddie, that started a downward spiral. Emotions and physical problems can be associated. Add that to the fact that he started very young and worked his body hard. It takes time to recover. He worked very hard to regain his health.

It is thrilling to see the old Tiger back in the game and have success confirm his recovery.

My DD worked for NIKE, as I did years ago. She knows the folks to are involved with NIKE's professional athletes. It was her opinion that Tiger came under the influence of a problematic caddie, that started a downward spiral. Emotions and physical problems can be associated. Add that to the fact that he started very young and worked his body hard. It takes time to recover. He worked very hard to regain his health.
So you’re saying Steve Williams (or Fluff) caused Tiger’s downward spiral? I find that hard to believe...

So you’re saying Steve Williams (or Fluff) caused Tiger’s downward spiral? I find that hard to believe...

I'm guessing Erin would probably say: "Tiger caused Tiger's downward spiral"... :fingerwag:

That said, congrats to him - this is an extremely impressive feat! :bow:

I'm glad he finally won another.

Now the conversation is does he have a chance to catch Jack Nicholas? Before his SUV accident and everything else, he looked to shatter the mark. Then looked like Tiger was done. Now, the conversation isn't far fetched anymore.

If you didn't shed a tear when he was being hugged by his kid afterwards, you aren't a parent, or a golf fan.

Just not a woods fan but he did well.

If you didn't shed a tear when he was being hugged by his kid afterwards, you aren't a parent, or a golf fan.
I liked what Tiger said after in Butler's cabin even more. 'In 1997 my Dad was there to give me a hug when I won my first Masters. This time 22 years later, I'm the Dad, sharing the win with my kids.'

"Under the influence" was not meant to intimate that he was blameless. I think it was adolescent behavior, that phase of life - particularly with males - where peer relationships are impactful. He didn't have any rumspringa. Unfortunately, some who have had a very structured upbringing go through that phase in young adulthood.

He paid a high price in both his personal and professional life. He is now a mature father and golfer, it shows.

Last edited:
It's hard to imagine what Tiger would have won over the years had his body held up to the physical pressures of the game. There's no telling what physical therapy he's gone through to get back to where he is today--not including working on his game. And he really has been tough mentally to overcome the physical ailments.

Makes me wonder what that pill was that he was shown on TV taking with 4 or 5 holes left. Anti-anxiety or pain killer I suspect. I don't know that he has overcome his ailments, he just has the meds to help cope. I was happy to see him win again though.

Last edited:
I'm not a Tiger fan, and I didn't think he'd ever win another major. But he did. I figured the mountain was too high. I was wrong. Again.

It was cool to see him hug his mom and his kids, and that his kids have this wonderful memory of seeing their dad on the top of that mountain.

Tom Brady and Tiger in the same year. Maybe there is hope for us old-timers.

Tom Brady and Tiger in the same year. Maybe there is hope for us old-timers.

If by old timers you mean 20 years younger than me, then yeah sure there is hope:D.

I am one that thought he would never win another major. You gotta give him credit for wanting it so bad, and doing the work it took to get there again.

Despite his flaws, he is one H*LL of a golfer.

Missed it today, but have always been a Tiger fan. He has accomplished a lot for the sport.

Where do you folks rate him in historical terms?
I have him currently as #2 behind Jack.

Missed it today, but have always been a Tiger fan. He has accomplished a lot for the sport.

Where do you folks rate him in historical terms?
I have him currently as #2 behind Jack.
Jack is still #1 all time, Tiger is #2. Tiger dominated like no one else, including Jack, ever has for about 10 years from 1997 thru 2008? Tiger didn’t win anything from 2010-11 or 2014-17. If Tiger had not derailed his career with his personal issues and then physical issues, he might have passed Jack’s records, now it may be less likely. The fields are deeper than ever nowadays. Time will tell.

Last edited:
There will be even less golf news after this. Just Tiger news. Flip on a tourney he's playing in & 50% chance he's on the screen.

Was happy to see Tiger win another Major. I think he has paid his dues. Agree that Sunday at the Masters is something special. Brought back memories of watching the Golden Bear win at 46 in 1986. That was extra special for me as I got to watch it with my dad who was both a big fan of Jack's and quite a golfer. After watching Tiger last year, I don't think the win was unexpected, just a matter of time. Though it seems harder for any single golfer to win these days as just so many good golfers.

Last edited:
There will be even less golf news after this. Just Tiger news. Flip on a tourney he's playing in & 50% chance he's on the screen.
And probably 5x as many people will flip on a tourney now.

It was that way even when he sucked. As I said, I'm a Tiger fan, but it was disrespectful for the better golfers at a given tournament to have so much focus on Tiger when he wasn't doing well. Sport is still sport. To the victor go the spoils. Same should be with TV coverage.

Back
Top Bottom