Sleep With Spouse or Separate?

Idnar7

Recycles dryer sheets
When I had a herniated disk problem in my back I could only sleep an hour at a time. It bothered my wife's sleeping and I eventually went into the spare bedroom to give her peace. We have stayed that way for 10 years or so and seem to sleep better. Do you sleep together or separate?

What!?

Isn't it bad enough hackers are stealing our identity, Google and the NSA are watching everything we do, now you're asking who I sleep with?

NYDB :nonono:

Reactions: W2R
We have decided to not separate... Ya get used to her after 58 years, and it's a little late to start over.
Besides... a cute little polar bear is cuddly on a cold winter night.

Last edited:
I have cervical and lumbar disc problems, but she married me for better or worse!
Seriously, there are beds where if you move won't shake her side.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

...only if one of us is sick. Then, the other sleeps in the guest room. So, when DW is sick I go to the guest room. And if I get sick, then I go to the guest room. That's fair, right??

My wife and I keep different hours. She gets up all hours of the night taking medicine for her back pain. I stay up very late and my CPAP bothers her.

We also watch different television shows, with me staying abreast of the news.

She has her bedroom suite, and I have my own bedroom at the other end of the house. We just live better sleeping apart. It's a mutual arrangement.

We have separate bedrooms but he usually ends up in bed with me later in the night. Probably 5 out of 7 nights. My room has the bigger bed.

...only if one of us is sick. Then, the other sleeps in the guest room. So, when DW is sick I go to the guest room. And if I get sick, then I go to the guest room. That's fair, right??

Exact same setup here. No point in asking whether it's fair or not. Some things just are the way they are -- like responsibility for the position of the toilet seat.

Considering there is only one bed in the house, the other would have to go sleep in the motorhome!

What!?

Isn't it bad enough hackers are stealing our identity, Google and the NSA are watching everything we do, now you're asking who I sleep with?

NYDB :nonono:

+1000

That said, we do live next door to one another. On the other hand, our houses are about 15 feet apart. And then, do we even count as spouses? We aren't married even though we have been a committed couple for 16+ years.

Guess you all will have to wonder about this (if you ever get bored enough to do so), because that's all you are going to get from me. :)

I have a full size bed all to myself! :dance: (and, yes, it is in the motorhome.) Oh! Wait. You were probably not talking to us single people. :D

We sleep together. I was having problems sleeping with his snoring, but we now sleep with a noisy fan on at night. The white noise works for us. After 43 years, it would be hard sleeping apart!

We are in our late 40's and sleep in the same bed, but I sleep with earplugs in due to DH's snoring. Many of my friends and prior coworkers who were in their 50's and older said that they had separate bedrooms and they all seemed to think they were the only ones. I assured them that many people did this and I also wondered why everyone seemed to share this information with me.

Now in addition to the 2 humans there are usually at least 3, but sometimes up to 6 cats on the bed.

Together. Unless one of us is sick or out of town.
And if DH snores he gets "gently" rolled over onto his side (perhaps with my elbows....lol)

Me, DW and a small dog in the same bed. We spent some frustrating months sleeping apart due to various health issues. Then there was the snoring by both of us. After dropping a combined 100+ pounds we no longer snore!

Separate rooms for the last twenty years. A good night sleep is priceless. We both snore. Many friends of ours also sleep in separate rooms/beds. A poll might be a better way to broach this subject.

Last edited:
Somehow, together for thirty+ years. And unless traveling, always on "traditional" waterbeds. Amazing what your subconscious can tune out.

Together unless one of us is sick. However, uncle and aunt have slept separately for many years. Works for them.

Inquiring minds want to know who likes kinky sex......NOT! TMI! :nonono:

Together, with a small dog and ONE of the cats. Also a fan running.

But I admit that I sleep better on nights when I'm restless and go sleep in the guest room. Or when he's out of town. He and the dog both snore and I'm a very light sleeper.

Its like a parade....

DW goes to bed early, say 9:30 PM.

11 pound dog Toby follows her, but usually first works a "nightcap treat" out of me by faking a wizz in the back yard (sneaky little guy). But I give him the treat anyway, then he heads for the bedroom.

About 11:30 PM, I go to bed in the same bed as both of them. I turn off the TV, which neither DW or Toby are watching.

By 3:00 am, DW is up (she's on steroids and other meds due to COPD) and in the spare room with Toby watching TV. I have no idea if they sleep again.

By 7:00 I am awake and Toby is back with me. DW is already up for the day, until her and Toby take a nap. I don't ever nap.

It's strange, and I really wanted to see this in print to believe it myself.:D

When I had a herniated disk problem in my back I could only sleep an hour at a time. It bothered my wife's sleeping and I eventually went into the spare bedroom to give her peace. We have stayed that way for 10 years or so and seem to sleep better. Do you sleep together or separate?

Time to get your back fixed. :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom