Sport Shooting in Retirement and how you have adapted…

B-Guy

Recycles dryer sheets
Those of you that sport shoot or hunt, how has aging after retirement affected you? Currently 60, I’m physically active, and not seeing much difference than where I was at 20 years ago, except I walk a bit slower and enjoy the beauty around me more.

With that said, I’m trying to get a feel of what is in store for me. I like to hunt for food and shoot out to 1000 meters. I’m considering getting some new glass and if a significant number of you are having issues shooting as you age, I may forgo upgrading and keep shooting with my current rig.

I’m also considering getting an AR in .300 BLK to shoot suppressed subsonic. Anyone shooting a simi auto rifle and have you had any age-related problems?

I would love to hear what kind of issues, if any, you are having in this sport as you age?

Those of you that sport shoot or hunt, how has aging after retirement affected you? Currently 60, I’m physically active, and not seeing much difference than where I was at 20 years ago, except I walk a bit slower and enjoy the beauty around me more.

With that said, I’m trying to get a feel of what is in store for me. I like to hunt for food and shoot out to 1000 meters. I’m considering getting some new glass and if a significant number of you are having issues shooting as you age, I may forgo upgrading and keep shooting with my current rig.

I’m also considering getting an AR in .300 BLK to shoot suppressed subsonic. Anyone shooting a simi auto rifle and have you had any age-related problems?

I would love to hear what kind of issues, if any, you are having in this sport as you age?

I'm in my late 70's and most of my friends are too. We all gave up hunting and just go to the range now and then. I take 50 rounds of 9 mm Luger ammo and blow them off at targets! My friends do the same. We are keeping our proficiency up here in Texas as we all have carry permits.

A couple of guys in the group go fishing now and then, although one guy (the youngest of the group) goes for a deer with his sons once per year.

My hunting days are pretty much done even though I could shoot deer off my back porch any time I'd like. I don't hunt for food so what's the point! My eyes actually got better in my early 60's and I don't glasses anymore to drive or shoot. I was told by an optometrist that happens to some men in their 60s'. Still need/use reading glass. Go figure that.

Regarding AR's in 223/5.56 (or AK's 7.62 in my case)

I finally bought my first real AK about two years ago... I had a few SKS's but I don't personally consider them AK's :) Anyway, I had so much 7.62 ammo for the SKS's, I finally went ahead and bought a real (or clone) AK... It's fun to shoot but honestly it's only accurate out to about 100 yards or so.

Target Shooting:

I mostly shoot lighter loads in my indoor range. (Barn) For higher powered stuff, I shoot outside. My favorite by far, is a Colt Series 70 in 38 Super... I have some nice 22 target pistols and a Series 70 Gold Cup that are fun to shoot too. One of the benefits of living way out in the country is I can shoot anytime I want and my main shooting range is only a ~1 minute walk away.

Summary:

So, since retiring I still shoot a lot but I hunt very little. Other changes, I tend to shoot pistols mostly and not rifles as much as I did although I'll admit, I'd like to try my hand at 1000m/y shooting if there were a good range nearby. Still reload too but not nearly as much as I did 10 years ago.

Have fun, it's a great retirement hobby, and be safe.

Last edited:
B-Guy - I retired effective 1-Feb-21 and am currently age 63.

If you can afford it and it brings you pleasure - get the new 300 BLK.

I grew up hunting and fishing and have been shooting since age 4 or 5 year old - grew up in East Texas and Grandparents had a farm that we would go to quite regular.

I have never shot 1,000 meters / yards ! A long shot in the thick East Texas woods for deer is 100 yards and most times much closer.

As a concession to aging eyes and Trifocals, ms gamboolgal and I have put Red Dots on our EDC pistols, and have put Red Dots on our SBR's. For my centerfire hunting rifles I still use scopes.

The Red Dots are faster and for us are worth while. Now the never ending pursuit of Holsters that accommodate Red Dots... ha !
Do recommend Red Dots.

We have Suppressors for our Rifles and SBR's - so nice as my hearing was damaged after 43 year in the Oilpatch and probably also all the shooting as a kid and young man with no ear protection. So doing all we can to preserve what's left.
Do recommend you get Suppressors.

We have His & Her's Hog Slayers - Customized Saiga 308's, with Suppressors. I haven't bought yet but I want to get Thermal sights for night time "makin Bacon" hunts - ha !

One thing you might consider for your long range shooting is the Long Shot Target Camera System. We bought this and love it vs using a Spotting Scope.
Do recommend the Long Shot System very much.

The truth is that while I do still enjoy the Hunt - it is not the same as when I was a kid and young man. Now - just getting out in the Woods and enjoying nature is what I really enjoy - and it does not matter too much is if I make any kills or not. In fact - I will let deer pass sometimes.
When we was young married - we ate a lot of deer. In fact we bought a Sears Kenmore Chest Freezer to pile up the Deer meat in. We still have the freezer almost 40 year old now.

We enjoy going target or IDPA pistol shooting is enjoyable.

Doing IDPA is great fun and I probably enjoy it more than hunting if I'm being honest. It was / is really eye opening to practice more realistically vs shooting paper plates standing still !

All the best and enjoy your retirement

gamboolman....

My biggest age related problem:confused:?? Seems the older I get, the more it costs...
Life long shooter and hunter, I can have as much fun with a Bow or BB gun as I do long range target. My deer hunting has severely changed. I have always enjoyed being out in the woods, But a few years back I got put on a depravation permit for the orchard next door. I can spotlight and shoot them off my porch.
As for the AR platform... I cut my teeth on one in the Army, and didn't have any desire for another till several years back. I built a 300 BLK for coyotes at night. A suppressor helps keep the neighbors happy. I will tell you that the AR platform is a lot friendlier to the shoulder than a bolt or lever rifle. Love the curved MOE stocks. I have both 556 and 300 BLK, and just built an AR-10 in 308.
I also enjoy reloading... got the wife to believe its saves money... I need to try politics next.

I am 67 years old. I enjoy target shooting at the local Sportsman Club. I have taken several shooting and gun safety classes. I do not hunt. I enjoy shooting pistols mainly, but occasionally shoot a .22 rifle or an AR-15, which I built. I enjoyed building the AR just to gain the knowledge from putting one together. As far as age related issues go, the sight in my left eye (not my dominant eye) is not as good due to tears in the retina and subsequent surgeries. I have a little more trouble racking the slide on semi-auto pistols, presumably due to some arthritis in my hands. Just do not have the same grip strength. I would also say that in the last couple years I have noticed that I do not have the stamina that I once had. However, that is a highly individual thing. I recently bought a S & W .380 EZ, which is great for the slide racking issue. May also get an EZ 9 mm. I have a red dot on the AR, and it is great! As someone else said, the AR is a really soft shooter due to the buffer spring in the stock. Very easy on the shoulder. No black and blue. Fun to shoot! Contrary to popular belief, it is a semi- automatic, not automatic. A sound suppressor on it would be great, but Illinois outlaws sound suppressors. Really makes no sense, but it is Illinois. Would like to get a pistol that will accommodate a red dot, as I think it would improve my accuracy. I still very much enjoy the hobby at my age.

I'm in my late 70's and most of my friends are too. We all gave up hunting and just go to the range now and then. I take 50 rounds of 9 mm Luger ammo and blow them off at targets! My friends do the same. We are keeping our proficiency up here in Texas as we all have carry permits.

A couple of guys in the group go fishing now and then, although one guy (the youngest of the group) goes for a deer with his sons once per year.

I have a way to go to be in my late 70's and you still going out to practice with a pistol does my heart good. I do still go fishing a half dozen times a year or so, but nowhere like what I use to. I put 1-2 deer in the freezer each fall and it really cuts down on our grocery bill.

I was maybe 15 and a Boy Scout a neighbor was a NRA instructor. I always had a .22 bolt, and a 12 gauge pump for rifled slugs required in my MD county.

Anyway my neighbor sponsored a shooting merit badge and Hunter safety course. Final exam was 1000 meter with 30-06, I think I did good I passed.

Today I have soup to nuts firearms, but heck I even catch rattlesnakes in my yard, and move them to state gamelands. By the way this morning I took a nice Black-tailed buzztail to it's new home # 26 for the year.

My hunting days are pretty much done even though I could shoot deer off my back porch any time I'd like. I don't hunt for food so what's the point! My eyes actually got better in my early 60's and I don't glasses anymore to drive or shoot. I was told by an optometrist that happens to some men in their 60s'. Still need/use reading glass. Go figure that.

Regarding AR's in 223/5.56 (or AK's 7.62 in my case)

I finally bought my first real AK about two years ago... I had a few SKS's but I don't personally consider them AK's :) Anyway, I had so much 7.62 ammo for the SKS's, I finally went ahead and bought a real (or clone) AK... It's fun to shoot but honestly it's only accurate out to about 100 yards or so.

Target Shooting:

I mostly shoot lighter loads in my indoor range. (Barn) For higher powered stuff, I shoot outside. My favorite by far, is a Colt Series 70 in 38 Super... I have some nice 22 target pistols and a Series 70 Gold Cup that are fun to shoot too. One of the benefits of living way out in the country is I can shoot anytime I want and my main shooting range is only a ~1 minute walk away.

Summary:

So, since retiring I still shoot a lot but I hunt very little. Other changes, I tend to shoot pistols mostly and not rifles as much as I did although I'll admit, I'd like to try my hand at 1000m/y shooting if there were a good range nearby. Still reload too but not nearly as much as I did 10 years ago.

Have fun, it's a great retirement hobby, and be safe.

I too live on a farm and shoot any time I want to. I also reload and have for decades. On one of our farms, I have a place where I can shoot out to 1600M but I currently don't have a firearm that I can shoot accurately to and past that point. I primarily shoot .308 bolt action but loose accuracy at about 1000M as the bullet goes subsonic at about that point. Usually is see indications of tumbling. I like the .308 as it is easy on the shoulder, but am considering going to something heaver and faster.

Perhaps a .338 Lapua Magnum. It is a bit punishing on the shoulder but I may go there as I’ve hit the 1000M wall. I shoot heavy rifles to minimize recoil. My .308 comes in at about 14 ½ pounds. I won’t be trekking across at 10,000 ft trails on a quest for elk, but that’s not it’s purpose. I’ve hunted elk in my youth and really don’t have the desire any more.

The only way I would go again would be if I went out with a cross bow. 4 years ago, I would have said with a bow, but after blowing out my shoulder a few years ago I am sticking closer to home and using a rifle.

When I first retired in 2019 (at age 60), I went to the range regularly. But then the ammunition supply dried up around here for almost 2 whole years after Covid started, so I went once in 2020 and once in 2021. It's getting easier to find ammunition now so I will be starting up regular shooting days again. I prefer to go to the range in the spring and fall.

My main age related problem is eyesight. I shoot only iron sights and find that if I wear my regular classes, I can see the target well, but not the front sight. If I wear my readers, I can see the the front sight just fine, but the target is blurry. Of the two, I prefer seeing the front sight better. As far as recoil, I haven't noticed any problem. And I have always used double hearing protection - both plugs and earmuffs

I shoot a Springfield M1A 7.62x51 mm; a Ruger Mini-14 5.56x45 mm; Colt 1911A1 .45 ACP; and a S&W Model 39 9mm. I also have a 12 gauge Remington 870 Police, but I almost never shoot it. No plastic in my gun safe.

Last edited:
. On one of our farms, I have a place where I can shoot out to 1600M but I currently don't have a firearm that I can shoot accurately to and past that point. I primarily shoot .308 bolt action but loose accuracy at about 1000M as the bullet goes subsonic at about that point. Usually is see indications of tumbling. I like the .308 as it is easy on the shoulder, but am considering going to something heaver and faster.
My long range rifle is a 300 Weatherby Mark V with a 6x32 Swarovski (IIRC) I had a Zeiss variable on it at one time. It's been a while since I've shot it but I "think" I have it currently zeroed for 300 yds. I'd love to try it out on a 1000m/y range... Maybe someday.

Oh, and it's got a good bit of recoil with just about any bullet weight at max loads. I have a small scar above my right eyebrow to prove it. :)

Last edited:
Go to the range once in awhile for target practice with my 9mm, do good at the outdoor range but my eyes struggle at the indoor range, just too dark.

I hope to get back into the woods after I leave the j*b. My favorite deer spot is 293 yds from my stand across a valley. The .270 Weatherby mag works like a charm for this distance.

On weekends while in college, I would frequently buy a brick of .22s and shoot all of them in 2 days. I finally wore out the feed throat on my Marlin semi-auto at 40k rounds. I did replace it, but the gun was never the same.

Trap, sporting clays, 9mm and recently purchase a 17hmr which is blast. Have a 270 for deer but shot my last one five years ago.

On weekends while in college, I would frequently buy a brick of .22s and shoot all of them in 2 days.
Which cost more, a brick of 22's or a brick of gold? Well it's not that bad yet but OMG have prices ever gone up.... Fortunately I still have plenty... I even have some bricks with price stickers on them that say I paid $9.95. (Some years ago) I bet that's about what a box of (50) cost today, if you are lucky. Haven't needed to buy any 22's in a decade or more.

I'm not sure how long ammo (the powder and primers) last but I have some shotgun shells that I reloaded over 40 years ago and still work great.

Last edited:
I have a couple AR15 uppers in 300BLK and a couple registered suppressors. As long as you understand the hassle and timeline of dealing with NFA items like suppressors and SBR receivers, it's worth doing IMO. 300BLK is only really worth playing with if you reload and components - mostly primers - have been mostly unavailable for years now. If you have primers stashed, then it's a lot of fun.

I'm 63 now, and haven't had to deal with much decline in my shooting ability/enjoyment yet, but I suppose it's inevitable. I've lived in Alaska for 40 years and have killed/eaten tons of wild game, but I don't hunt much anymore. Not because I'm too old, mostly because I don't like dealing with processing large quantities of meat. I haven't shot a moose in 25 years, although I could every year without much planning. I haven't shot a goat in 15, nor even a deer in 5. I sort of like store bought and restaurant served steaks now. I do still put fish in the freezer every year, but that's about it for "living off the land".

I live just outside of Huntsville, Alabama, and we have a couple of the finest shooting ranges anywhere. With Redstone Arsenal being an Army base and the FBI moving in another 2,000 employees (4,000 total), there's quite a shooting community locally.

The demand for ammunition was so great that a couple of young men went into the bullet manufacturing for common calibers--38 wadcutters, 9 mm and others. They're selling in bulk to police departments but they're keeping enough bullets on hand to service the local shooting customers.

There's a retiree that was with the ATF that teaches pistol courses and self defense courses at one gun range. He also works with companies and churches on improving security in their operations. And he also does home inspections and works with individuals on their home personal security. That's a great retirement job.

Which cost more, a brick of 22's or a brick of gold? Well it's not that bad yet but OMG have prices ever gone up.... Fortunately I still have plenty... I even have some bricks with price stickers on them that say I paid $9.95. (Some years ago) I bet that's about what a box of (50) cost today, if you are lucky. Haven't needed to buy any 22's in a decade or more.

I'm not sure how long ammo (the powder and primers) last but I have some shotgun shells that I reloaded over 40 years ago and still work great.

Yeah, got on a binge of buying bricks before ER. Still got all I could ever use. As far as how long stuff lasts, .22s seem to have a shorter life than CF stuff. I have some 9mm from '43 that worked last time I tried them. YMMV

Any one know why ammo is so ridiculously expensive?

Five factors, I think. Three related to demand, two to supply:

1. Hoarding.
2. People looking to resell to the hoarders.
3. Greatly increased firearm sales in 2020 and 2021.
3. Remington went bankrupt and their ammunition plant in Arkansas shut down.
4. Other supply chain issues, including the price of copper and brass, and shipping backlogs.

Last edited:

I started buying stuff to reload 556 when they got ridiculously high priced per round....I should have HOARDED 100K rounds then.... Its costing me more now to reload them....
300 BLK or 308.... Holy Crap

I wondered if the issues in Ukraine and previous wars had competed for ammunition components.

I wasn't aware of Remington filing bankruptcy. Hard to believe a "growth" industry would fall on hard times when prices are though the roof. One would think the ammo plant would have been picked up by another company. I do understand that there have been law suits based on use of Remington firearms in mass shootings.

Thanks for answering my question.

I wondered if the issues in Ukraine and previous wars had competed for ammunition components.

I wasn't aware of Remington filing bankruptcy. Hard to believe a "growth" industry would fall on hard times when prices are though the roof. One would think the ammo plant would have been picked up by another company. I do understand that there have been law suits based on use of Remington firearms in mass shootings.

Thanks for answering my question.
The Remington ammunition plant was purchased out of bankruptcy and has restarted under the "New Remington", which is now an ammunition-only company. I understand that they are just about back to full production, so prices might ease a little.

Yeah, got on a binge of buying bricks before ER. Still got all I could ever use. As far as how long stuff lasts, .22s seem to have a shorter life than CF stuff. I have some 9mm from '43 that worked last time I tried them. YMMV

I haven't noticed any problems with my 22 ammo "yet" but most of it is only ~15 years old or so, some is older but I do try to shoot the older stuff first. I still have some 4831 WWII surplus rifle powder (old time re-loaders will know about that stuff) that is still good. I've also got a lot of 7.62 stuff that I'm sure is ~40 years old. Could be a lot older but I can't read Chinese :confused:

I think Gumby got most of the reasons in his earlier post. Of course government pressures and liabilities haven't helped either. Fortunately (for me anyway) I probably have enough in stock to last the rest of my shooting life.

Last edited:
I haven't noticed any problems with my 22 ammo "yet" but most of it is only ~15 years old or so, some is older but I do try to shoot the older stuff first. I still have some 4831 WWII surplus rifle powder (old time re-loaders will know about that stuff) that is still good. I've also got a lot of 7.62 stuff that I'm sure is ~40 years old. Could be a lot older. :confused:

I think Gumby got most of the reasons in his earlier post. Of course government pressures and liabilities haven't helped either. Fortunately (for me anyway) I probably have enough in stock to last the rest of my shooting life.

I have had the occasional misfire with really old rimfire. Don't recall a CF misfire and most of mine is old or even older.

Too bad other issues have come into this subject of late.

The demand for ammunition was so great that a couple of young men went into the bullet manufacturing for common calibers--38 wadcutters, 9 mm and others. They're selling in bulk to police departments but they're keeping enough bullets on hand to service the local shooting customers.
Good for them.... Personally I'd be scared to death to get in the ammo manufacturing business these day.

Back
Top Bottom