The Census Getting Too Personal?

I only made it through 2 of the 5 minutes. Had to go check my supply of tinfoil...:facepalm:

If he's successful in his campaign for census disobedience, however, this spoof from 2000 will come true.

U.S. Population At 13,462 | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

'We Don't Think Everybody Sent In Their Census Forms,' Say Officials

April 5, 2000

WASHINGTON, DC–With the April 1 deadline for returning Census 2000 forms finally passed, the Bureau of the Census announced Monday that the U.S. population stands at 13,462.

"We at the Census Bureau are shocked by the incredible decrease in the population that apparently took place in the 10 years since the last Census in 1990," Census Bureau director Kenneth Prewitt said. "A 1999 projection estimated the U.S. population at 274 million and set the annual growth rate at .95 percent. Yet from this latest Census count, we find that this projection overestimates the population by a multiple of 20,000."

Despite the sharp population dip, some data remains consistent with previous censuses. New York remains the nation's largest city, with a population of 664...

onion_news954.jpg

Where do they ask about my income, income sources, housing costs, disabilities, and insurance costs? I looked at the official forms and can't find those questions anywhere...

I think the speaker may be talking about the 2000 census, which had a long form and a short form. The long form went to one in six households and ran several pages. Copy here:
http://www.census.gov/dmd/www/pdf/d-61b.pdf

According to my quick review of the Census Bureau's web site, this time in 2010 we're all getting a short quiz with only 10 questions.

Not returning the form? I'm struggling to think of less effective way to lodge a protest against the federal government.

Hmmm, beats me. But the form behind the guy says "2010." (And I love The Onion. :LOL:)

I have never had a person come to my door; it's always been a mail in form. I will do the same as I have done for the last three census periods. Just write "mind your own business" in most of the questions. They can have my name, age, where I live, and the number of persons living the house. I'm an old hippy; If they want the publicity of arresting a 63 year old man for not answering census questions they can come and get me.

I have never had a person come to my door; it's always been a mail in form.

That's been my experience as well. I don't remember any of the questions as being overly intrusive.

I did read an article about some of the older forms from the 18th century, they were so outrageous it was funny.

Where do they ask about my income, income sources, housing costs, disabilities, and insurance costs? I looked at the official forms and can't find those questions anywhere...

The form that I received was a long from that asked a bunch of personal questions including income etc. I did not fill out the form, they called me about 10 times to follow up on the form. I am not sure if there are two different forms or not but if you get the long form you will hesitate for sure.

mP

I have never had a person come to my door; it's always been a mail in form. I will do the same as I have done for the last three census periods. Just write "mind your own business" in most of the questions. They can have my name, age, where I live, and the number of persons living the house. I'm an old hippy; If they want the publicity of arresting a 63 year old man for not answering census questions they can come and get me.

We did have a Census worker come to the door--badge and all. Frankly, I think he just wanted to talk about the lot next door we own. Was friendly and really asked nothing, but did want all to know that, yes, there are Census workers walking around in your neighborhood even if you aren't aware of it.

I don't feel it's an imposition of the government to ask Census questions at all, because I want to know what the numbers accurately (more-or-less) are. I always look forward to what the Census comes up with as I find it interesting. What's the big deal about answering some simple questions?

My parents married later than normal, my father was 50 when I was born. Consequently, I was raised to be very independent. Both my parents had passed away before I turned 29, I was an only child and have been completely on my own since then. I'm just very distrustful of any government gathering too much information.

My parents married later than normal, my father was 50 when I was born. Consequently, I was raised to be very independent. Both my parents had passed away before I turned 29, I was an only child and have been completely on my own since then. I'm just very distrustful of any government gathering too much information.

Exact SAME background (only here/too independent)--except stepfather and mother would be in their late 20's when I was born--and you can't find any woman more independent than I. I can, personally, attest to that since it has drawn so many negative reviews from past beaus...which my response is, "too bad, so sad.":whistle:

Don't all of us have to act together to make this a better country? Good gawd, man, if this recession doesn't encourage that I don't know what will. And, frankly, I consider the Census count to be just one tiny act of community myself.
Is this a North Dakota philosophy?

I haven't seen or received any census material for 2010 yet, but does anyone believe that if the government wanted to find out the info they are asking about they could? :whistle:

The form that I received was a long from that asked a bunch of personal questions including income etc. I did not fill out the form, they called me about 10 times to follow up on the form. I am not sure if there are two different forms or not but if you get the long form you will hesitate for sure.

mP

When was that? 2000? I haven't seen any long form on the Census website for 2010.

I received the long form in 2000. No biggie.

So the government asks about your income... Don't you file taxes with the IRS each year? Doesn't the government already know exactly how much you make and how you make it? If you lied on your tax return, certainly you won't feel compelled to tell the truth to the census people either...

Doesn't the government know your street address already (from IRS, SSA, Post Office and passport application among many possible sources) and therefore, just like anyone with Google Earth, don't you think they can already figure out the GPS coordinates of your house?

Come on, there is no such thing as personal information anymore. You probably disclose much more about yourself when you apply for a credit card than when you answer the Census survey.

It may be a ND philosophy; quite a few people around here are averse to any large government. I am a firm believer in the "power corrupts" idea. I like to see government power restricted as much as possible.

Nodak, my man, I'm surprised you don't head over to New Hampshire: home of the Libertarian Party (still say: great idea but nonworkable in reality for the masses). North Dakota must be another version of the New Hampshire philosophy of life. Must be all that cold:confused::LOL: (Kidding!) Only the heartier of us can tolerate those Winters!

Nodak, my man, I'm surprised you don't head over to New Hampshire: home of the Libertarian Party (still say: great idea but nonworkable in reality). North Dakota must be another version of the New Hampshire philosophy of life. Must be all that cold:confused::LOL: (Kidding!) Only the heartier of us can tolerate those Winters!

I just revised a statement on another thread. It is not government so much as people desirous of power that I distrust. I will oppose anyone that so much as attempts to tell me how to live. And, yes, I am very much a Libertarian even though I know it is unworkable. Not very logical, but there it is.

I don't feel it's an imposition of the government to ask Census questions at all, because I want to know what the numbers accurately (more-or-less) are. I always look forward to what the Census comes up with as I find it interesting. What's the big deal about answering some simple questions?

Most of us agree that there's "no big deal" in answering simple questions. The issue brought up by the YouTube clip is that there is an additional form (ACS) that includes a lot of very personal questions. I'm happy to tell them how many people live at this address and how old we are, etc. But some of those long form questions are totally not necessary for the Census, IMO.

It may be a ND philosophy; quite a few people around here are averse to any large government. I am a firm believer in the "power corrupts" idea. I like to see government power restricted as much as possible.

You don't happen to be one of those 'keep government out of my hair' while also making sure that you get your farmer's subsidies are you:confused:

The govt is not a monolithic all knowing entity. The census does statistical reporting and nothing more. They can't get your IRS info. By law. Law enforcement can get hold of it but not the census.

I am more confident of the census not abusing my data than just about anyone else. When they collect extra data it is only because they have to the basics by law and might as answer some other questions while they are at it.

Perhaps some of you will find this of interest...

http://www.census.gov/acs/www/Downl...2010_Census_and_American_Community_Survey.pdf

American Community Survey (ACS)

Do you think they need to know about your marriage history? Your health insurance coverage? Your FERTILITY:confused:

I totally understand why people might not want to answer some of the questions, but I can see how having statistics/data about these issues and the others on the forms would be helpful in planning services for an area, and this is one way to collect it.

We get a ton of calls for research studies that pay a little for one's time (we rarely qualify)--the census folks should pay $50 for filling out that long form, to be paid when it's sent in, and I bet they'd get them all back and would save a lot of $$ not having to follow up on forms not sent in.

http://www.census.gov/acs/www/Downl...2010_Census_and_American_Community_Survey.pdf

Do you think they need to know about your marriage history? Your health insurance coverage? Your FERTILITY:confused:
FERTILITY caught my eye...go forward in the Questions document to page 24 and you will see it is a question about how many children were born to the [-]female[/-] person in the last 12 months.

Fertility seems to be a pretty important parameter for an organization whose goal is to monitor the evolution of the US population... It is certainly much more relevant to their purpose than the type of health care coverage you have, IMO.

The govt is not a monolithic all knowing entity. The census does statistical reporting and nothing more. They can't get your IRS info. By law. Law enforcement can get hold of it but not the census.

The point is, if you don't mind greatly detailing your income and income sources to the IRS each year, why do you mind giving your gross income to the Census once in a decade? What makes the Census Bureau so much more dangerous than any other governmental organization you share information with?

You don't happen to be one of those 'keep government out of my hair' while also making sure that you get your farmer's subsidies are you:confused:

My entire career in farming was three hours of shoveling old grain out of a silo; that was 45 years ago. Have no interest in doing any more farm work. I was a software engineer before retiring.

Back
Top Bottom