The Census Getting Too Personal?

The point is, if you don't mind greatly detailing your income and income sources to the IRS each year, why do you mind giving your gross income to the Census once in a decade? What makes the Census Bureau so much more dangerous than any other governmental organization you share information with?

Truthfully, I mind very much detailing my income and resources to the IRS...however, I have no choice in that matter. Further, I don't believe the Census Bureau to be more dangerous; I just don't see why I should share personal information with them beyond how many people reside in my household.

I got the long form once, way back when I was in college with a bunch of roomies. We had fun filling it out.

The demographic info is very helpful. This is how we know things like how many people have health insurance. Or find out that an area may be in need of services because incomes are so low. Etc. Unless we collect data we can't know the issues facing an area or the country.

Last edited:
Can't they find out how many people have health insurance by getting the count directly from insurers?

And...if the demographic is so important, why doesn't EVERYONE have to fill out the long form?

Can't they find out how many people have health insurance by getting the count directly from insurers?

I suppose theoretically you could pass a law requiring insurance companies to report how many people are insured and then count up the insurance companies and the insured and get some information of value. But the census tells us so much more. It tells you what sorts of groups are not insured. Are they making a certain amount of money? Are they young? Are they employed? How long have they been uninsured? There is a huge amount of valuable data on the issue collected by the census. We need more data not less. Too much of what we do in this country is based on opinions, not fact. The census can give us some facts.

And...if the demographic is so important, why doesn't EVERYONE have to fill out the long form?

It is all statistics. You don't need the info from everyone, only a sample.

I think insurers might be prohibited from providing that information to the Census under HIPAA (not sure but possible). It's probably a good thing that federal agencies aren't sharing our information and that we have to provide it separately to IRS, census, state department for passports, etc.

I am hopeful that providing the requested information will allow the government to have accurate data regarding the characteristics of our population so they can make rational decisions on matters of public policy. It has been my experience that actions taken in the absence of accurate information are often misguided.

SarahW;908836 Do you think they need to know about your marriage history? Your health insurance coverage? Your FERTILITY???[/QUOTE said:
Never got anything like that and never heard of it till now. Wonder who gets that?

Every census is a complete record of our nation. A snap shot as it were, that is mandated by our founding fathers. The most recent census records available online is 1930 census. A wonderful national treasure of data and minutia.

I am prepared to supply my info, as my parents did in my first one in 1950. Wish me luck.....

I am hopeful that providing the requested information will allow the government to have accurate data regarding the characteristics of our population so they can make rational decisions on matters of public policy. It has been my experience that actions taken in the absence of accurate information are often misguided.

I'm not sure a rational decision has come out of Washington DC in the last 20+ years.

Here is an interesting document about historical census forms (I admit my mother worked for the CB in DC for several years so I have a soft spot for it)--not only are the data used for present day purposes, there is historical value to them. RE the first census:

In 1790, marshals took the census in the original 13 states; plus the districts of Kentucky, Maine, and Vermont; and the Southwest Territory (Tennessee). Each household provided the name of the head of the family and the number of persons in each household of the following descriptions: Free White males of 16 years and upward (to assess the countries industrial and military potential), free White males under 16 years, free White females, all other free persons (by sex and color), and slaves.

Here is an interesting document about historical census forms (I admit my mother worked for the CB in DC for several years so I have a soft spot for it)--not only are the data used for present day purposes, there is historical value to them. RE the first census:

Cool! Things have changed a bit since the 1790 census. ;)

Like so many other aspects of government, there has been a lot of "scope creep" since the founding. At one point the census was little more than your name and the number of people in your household, with the only Constitutional reason being the need to know populations in order to properly apportion Congressional representation (and electoral votes).

Wishful thinking, Gumby!! Do you suppose those millions of illegals will be responding to the Census? Of course not. Will that stop them from obtaining public assistance? Of course not.

Teehee...you said "rational decisions" when referring to government. :LOL:

Wishful thinking, Gumby!! Do you suppose those millions of illegals will be responding to the Census? Of course not. Will that stop them from obtaining public assistance? Of course not.

Teehee...you said "rational decisions" when referring to government. :LOL:

I am unclear on the precise relationship between undocumented immigrants not completing the census and their obtaining public assistance. I didn't think they could obtain public assistance in any event, regardless of whether they completed the census or not.

And yes, I do think the government can and does act rationally in many areas. They are just not the areas we hear about on talk radio.

We have info at the police department showing what i.d. the census bureau 'takers' must have when they go door to door. I'm proud of this as I know I'll receive calls wanting to know if they're [-]revenuers[/-] legit. :angel:

My entire career in farming was three hours of shoveling old grain out of a silo; that was 45 years ago. Have no interest in doing any more farm work. I was a software engineer before retiring.

Good to know... most of the people I have seen who wants gvmt out that is in a farming area... get lots of money from the gvmt... I think they are hypocrites.... glad to know you are not one of them...

Our local paper said that if you fill out the form, no one will come to your door. I will fill out the form because I want an accurate count of people in my state for govt representation. Is there anyone out there who still thinks the govt or anyone else for that matter can't find out all about you?

Our local paper said that if you fill out the form, no one will come to your door. I will fill out the form because I want an accurate count of people in my state for govt representation. Is there anyone out there who still thinks the govt or anyone else for that matter can't find out all about you?

I'm quite sure they can find out anything they want to know. That doesn't mean I have to make it easier for them.

Nodak....what are we going to do with you?:nonono: I think you just can't be persuaded at all to cooperate, can you? Singing: "He's a rebel..and he'll never, never...":whistle:
You're a pistol, kid!:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL: At least, you have the good sense to live in a fiscally healthy State...North Dakota is really in great shape (just so darn cold up there...brrrrr!).
Interesting that the cold States are the fiscally healthiest. Does this mean the warmest States where retirees are flocking are burning thru their State's supplies of money?

I'm sure the Census assumes a certain percentage of non-cooperators in their study always.

WoW! I hopeful they will make good decisions based on what the population want/need rather than what the lobbyist and their re-election contributors want! However, I have never seen it work that way!

MickeyD:
Founding fathers said take a count. Specifically:
'The actual Enumeration shall be made within three Years after the first Meeting of the Congress of the United States, and within every subsequent Term of ten Years, in such Manner as they shall by Law direct.'

The did not say count how many chickens you have, or slaves, or automobiles. All of that came later.
Heck, I would be happy if they would just go home. Another great thing about Texas, their law makers only meat every two years and then only for 5 months. That's when the people of the great state are really in danger!

'by such Manner as they shall by Law direct.' has given your legislator a great deal of power.

I'm sure the Census assumes a certain percentage of non-cooperators in their study always.
Yeah, but the problem -- not to start anything political here -- is that the folks who make these decisions are likely to claim that there are more "non-cooperators" in their state or among groups that are more likely to vote their way.

Back
Top Bottom