The world is changing

Breedlove

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I got up this morning mowed /edged my grass raked my lawn and bagged it . Enough for today beer time . My neighbor boy came in I started talking to him . He is going to college 20 years old and has never had a job . I joked with him since he is home he could mow his parents lawn . He laughed and said the lawn men come every Thursday. What happened with kids working I had a paper route when I was 14 . My parents had two words when I asked for money ( were broke ) it worked I worked. These kids ( some of them ) have it made !

I see kids driving better cars then I have ever had , where do the parents get the money to give the kids or are they mortgaging their retirement ?

I could go on a long rant on the subject and get banned in no time at all. therefore I STFU.

"In them days we was glad to have the price of a cup o’ tea."

"A cup o’ cold tea."

"Without milk or sugar."

"Or tea."

That was Warren Buffet time. I paid my nephews $25 an hour for 4 hours max to help with my garden, they are tall strapping boys, 6'2 and over. While they like the cash but they didn't seem to latch on the part that while they are young they should do some physical work to earn money.
Only my kids drove old beaten up cars when they first started driving, everybody else in my immediate family has nice car.

Last edited:
I see kids driving better cars then I have ever had , where do the parents get the money to give the kids or are they mortgaging their retirement ?

I have no idea. I knew of kids in my high school class whose parents gave them a new car when they turned 16 but sadly I was not one of them. I got a slightly used one from a junkyard and had to put the transmission in it before I could drive it, but at least it was a set of wheels, more than a lot of other kids had. Basically it was a "spare" for my parent's cars if one of those broke down but when all were up and running I could use it. Dad and I did all the car maintenance, including engine rebuilding. The only time our cars went to a shop was for stuff that needed expensive equipment to do like a front end alignment.

I mowed lawns and shoveled snow for spending money starting at around 13 or 14, then got a job in a gas station when I was 17 (back when they had guys pump the gas, check the oil, clean the windshield). I could also do light maintenance like oil changes, wheel balancing, tire repair/replacement and the like. Starting in 1967 it paid $1.25/hour.

Like someone else here wrote I was born with a plastic spoon.:D

Boy I've been on these forums awhile I guess because I now know where those references come from, and I'll take the next inevitable step of posting:

I could go on a long rant on the subject and get banned in no time at all. therefore I STFU.

Same for me. There's no way I could rant about this issue without getting political. So I'll shut my yapper

Interesting, I don't see this as political in the least and can't begin to make it so in my mind.

"You had a mind?"

Last edited:
Their parents have more money than yours did, I suppose.

Nothing about this seems terribly different from when I was a kid. Other kids' dads made more than mine did (even though my dad worked much harder). Ergo, the kids had more stuff and did less work than I did.

What happened with kids working I had a paper route when I was 14 . My parents had two words when I asked for money ( were broke ) it worked I worked. These kids ( some of them ) have it made !

I got up this morning mowed /edged my grass raked my lawn and bagged it . Enough for today beer time . My neighbor boy came in I started talking to him . He is going to college 20 years old and has never had a job . I joked with him since he is home he could mow his parents lawn . He laughed and said the lawn men come every Thursday. What happened with kids working I had a paper route when I was 14 . My parents had two words when I asked for money ( were broke ) it worked I worked. These kids ( some of them ) have it made !

When I was 7 or 8 I was collecting coke bottles for the deposit. There's no deposit refund anymore, and in many places if kids that young were wandering around they'd end up in foster care and their parents would be in jail.

At 11 I got a paper route, had to start work at 5 am so it was all finished before school started. By the time I was in my 20s adults had taken all the routes and delivered by car. Kids were out of luck. Plus, see above re kids on bikes in the dark and jail.

When I was 12 I worked weekends on a farm (after the papers were delivered) for $5/day. Today that would be considered child labor and someone would be in jail, probably the farmer and the parents.

As a young teen I mowed grass, shoveled snow, and raked leaves. Nowadays those are jobs that adults fill, and even if kids tried to do them they'd need licenses and certifications.

At 15 I started at McDonalds, then went through various food service, construction, and retail sales jobs. I guess kids could do that now, but by the time they are in their late teens and haven't ever developed (or needed) to earn money, they see no reason to.

I know many people think kids are snowflakes now, and I don't totally disagree. And there's so much emphasis on school and grades and getting into college these days that many parents would never consider letting their kids work. Plus kids don't have the freedom of movement that we did, and most of them are in regulated activities after school. But I think the bigger reason is over-regulation that has totally locked them out of developing a work ethic. You can read about kids' lemonade stands being shut down by gov't officials every summer. I'm sure it's a combination of being spoiled and gov't interference, but I really can't blame the kids that much for it.

Why do I suspect our grandparents generation thought the same about us when we were 20-something's? Every generation actually.

I worked when I was a kid because I wanted money, not because I had some notion of the inherent dignity of labor. If I could have obtained money without working, I would have done that.

List of things I did to get money prior to college:

Picked up bottles for the deposit
Picked wild blackberries and sold them to the farmers market
Delivered newspapers
Mowed lawns
Shoveled snow
Babysat children
Caddied at the country club
Bussed tables at the country club
Bagged groceries
Flipped burgers at McDonald's

As the mother of teens I'll weigh in here. My kids regularly complain that their friends are given more stuff, fewer chores, and more freedom. I just smile and point out that the friends have nice parents, lucky them.

But in truth some kids have little responsibility, some have more. Some are given silver spoons, some have to work hard and save for the plastic spoon. Life isn't fair.

Last edited:
sMy 63 year old neighbor has a tidy little business mowing surrounding lawns because you can NOT "get a kid" to do it, at least with any dependability. People are glad to get him, and he has to turn away business.

Anyway...why would some 17 year old driving an air conditioned 2016 F150 want to mow lawns?

When I think of my 1963 Dodge Coronet ( that I had in 1978, with it's faded paint job and passenger fender made out of some flattened bondo-ed Sacramento Tomato Juice cans)..but it DID have a push button transmission!!!! I think I should be embarrassed but I'm not.

And I DO think that kids are missing out. My timeline is like Harley's ...I never did NOT have some kind of job from 14 on....

Making up rooms in a boarding house (today-gotta watch for diseases on the sheets and toilets!!!)....and you need a permit to work at 14....

Running a bread slicer in the bakery-slicing hundreds of loaves for the summer camps in the Catskills...without blade guards or brakes (today-you'd need "training" and chain mail gauntlets and eye protection)...We also filled jelly donuts and iced buns without a hairnet and NONE of the customers died.

or.... I "stuck the underground tanks" at the gas station at end of shift to determine what's left (today...you'd need neoprene gloves, eye protection, a hard hat, a vest to walk around the lot with,hazmat training, and a "spotter" with a spill kit lest a drip of gas hit the pavement)....

It's SOOOOOOO ridiculous. There is no need for common sense anymore.

Working can really get you out the parental door and on the road to adulthood. Once you make your own money, you will NEVER want to go live in your parent's basement or move back down the hall to your childhood bedroom again.....sheeeeesh that makes my skin crawl just thinking about it!!!!!

My kids have a phenomenal work ethic and decent careers but didn't have regular jobs in high school during the school year (a sport/activity year-round and massive homework took care of any free time for them). Times are different. I could get homework done on the bus on the way to school....

Don't you think it is the responsibility of every parent to loan their child $1,000,000 so they can start a business ? :facepalm:

Oh, come on, really? That's where you went about a random middle class teenager not having a job? :confused:

As the mother of teens I'll weigh in here. My kids regularly complain that their friends are given more stuff, fewer chores, and more freedom. I just smile and point out that the friends have nice parents, lucky them.

But in truth some kids have little responsibility, some have more. Some are given silver spoons, some have to work hard and save for the plastic spoon. Life isn't fair.

Our eldest (28) has as one of his facebook quotes: "It's good for you .... builds character. Mom."

Only disappointment is that, of the two of us, she got the credit. :LOL:

Like Bestwifeever, ours did not have jobs during the school year--the 40 minute school commute and we were more concerned with academics and having family dinner every night possible...

Why do I suspect our grandparents generation thought the same about us when we were 20-something's? Every generation actually.
+1
Since caveman days the standard of living has been growing higher, in fits and starts of course.

Back
Top Bottom