tunes

Martha

Moderator Emeritus
Friday I discovered iTunes. Oh my how convenient! I am in love. :smitten:

Is there anywhere else on the internet where I can buy :police: tunes and not get infected with anything? There are a number of songs I would like but are not available on iTunes.

Also, try pandora.com. You enter an artist or song you like, and it plays music of a similar style. It is great for discovering new artists in styles of music you like. You can give each song a thumbs up/down to fine tune the selections. You can click and add an artist to your 'favorites'. And you can create a bunch of different 'stations' to match different moods.

Clicking on any song takes you to iTunes to buy the single, or to Amazon to buy the CD.

Once you buy a few iTunes, I'd suggest you burn them to CD to have a backup. If your hard drive crashes you can be out-of-luck.

-ERD50

also archive.org - not so user friendly. A bunch of live recordings that bands offer up for free. Tons of other stuff.

-ERD50

Martha said:
Friday I discovered iTunes.  Oh my how convenient!  I am in love.  :smitten:

Is there anywhere else on the internet where I can buy :police:  tunes and not get infected with anything?  There are a number of songs I would like but are not available on iTunes. 

The itunes software 1) syncs to your ipod 2) you can enter all your CDs and MP3s and 3) can download legally, at 99 cents a song, from the itunes website which has 1M= songs but maybe not everything you are looking for. have you checked the itunes web site? Pretty safe and the first place to check since you said you were willing to buy songs.

Now illegal downloads are another issue, free but can be tricky in the inconsistent and infection departments.

iTunes also lets you connect to hundreds of internet radio stations (one of which is mine), all sorted by genre, and playing music in CD quality in most cases. Just click on the "Radio" button and drill down until you find a station you like.

SamHouston said:
iTunes also lets you connect to hundreds of internet radio stations (one of which is mine), all sorted by genre, and playing music in CD quality in most cases. Just click on the "Radio" button and drill down until you find a station you like.

Cool

Another vote for Pandora...it is a great place to find more music that you like, based on what you enter...it get's smarter each time you use it. It has cost me a lot at iTunes. Don't forget the local library as a great resource for cd's that you might like to add to your iTunes library. I'm getting ready to digitize my album collection (instructions courtesy of Cnet.com) so I can add some music not available on iTunes. This is a time-sink on the level of Photoshop, be warned!
Sarah

Walmart has 88 cent downloads on their website.  I'm not sure how their selection compares to others, but in the past I found what I was looking for and was happy. 

Aaron

I just discovered iTunes myself a couple months ago--now it threatens to set back retirement with all the costy tunes I've been loading on my iPod.

Did you notice no Beatles on the iTunes website? I wanted to download the White Album and discovered the complete absence of the Fab Four. It has to do with a lawsuit between Apple and ... Apple, I guess. Anyway, sucks.

Also, Amazon offers free downloads in their music section .. not well-known folks, but I've pulled some good stuff..

I still buy CDs from Amazon.com. That way I can rip into whatever format I want and always have a high quality backup, Digital Rights Management Systems (DRM) are very cumbersome. I will not buy anything from the iTunes store as long as they have a closed platform that only works with iTunes/iPod. Having said that, the iTunes/iPod work great together. But I can't stand for the 'lock you in' business model.

I don't use it any more but I used to use a Nomad MP# player with itunes. You can certainly transfer MP3s to any MP3 player or burn CDs

Yup, I do just that with my mp3s too. You'll run into problems when you buy music from the iTunes store or rip your music into aac format which isn't supported by other players. The songs on the iTunes store are encoded in aac and wrapped in the 'fair play' drm system. It's not so easy to move a 'fair play' song over to another device. Once you buy from the iTunes store, you are tethered to Apple for the life of the music.

mclesters said:
I'm getting ready to digitize my album collection (instructions courtesy of Cnet.com) so I can add some music not available on iTunes. This is a time-sink on the level of Photoshop, be warned!
I want an automatic way to do this, for my 250 cd's.

Thought it would be easy with a PC with 3 internal and 3 external CD readers, just load up 6 discs, hit go, and then come back later and load up 6 more. But haven't found software to do this.

I also have an old cd changer that holds 300 cd's and has optical audio out. Would be great to hook that up to USB of computer (I do have a way to do that with USB sound card, and was able to record from CD I think, or maybe only from cassette) and hit play and come back in 250 hours, all done. :) I don't expect to ever see software to do that.

Ideally, I'd like to encode in flac or some other lossless format, instead of mp3, so there is no loss of quality at all, and if I ever want to reencode to some strage format in future, should be possible without artifacts. (Can sometimes be bad to encode to one format, then reencode to another, I think)

There was some outfit...I forget how it works...but something like this...they have just about every tune on the planet already digitized, you send them your stack of cd's in a box, once they see you definitely have the physical disk, they transfer the rights for the tune to you for a lot less than 99c a song. Do a google...I've seen that around.

I just plopped an old laptop on the kitchen counter and put a stack of cd's on it with some s/w or other set to auto rip and whenever I walked by it, I stuck another disk in. Took a couple of weeks.

Martha
I was looking through the pod casts in itunes and Bill Gross for pimco has one. Greg might like it. :)

Mike

JB said:
I still buy CDs from Amazon.com. That way I can rip into whatever format I want and always have a high quality backup, Digital Rights Management Systems (DRM) are very cumbersome. I will not buy anything from the iTunes store as long as they have a closed platform that only works with iTunes/iPod. Having said that, the iTunes/iPod work great together. But I can't stand for the 'lock you in' business model.

This is why I'm a mp3 purist. I absolutely will not purchase an iPod because of Apple's closed platform.

Isnt copy protection swell stuff? I see the latest being bandied about regarding the high def dvd is that they wont output high def through any unprotected analog outputs such as the component input that happens to be the best option available on a lot of early hd-tv's.

When will these buttheads learn that no matter how smart they are, some 15 year old will defeat them within a day or two, and all they're doing is limiting their mainstream customers from fully enjoying their products? The enemy isnt piracy, the enemy is them. Sorry Pogo.

Sony Connect has been having various coupons for downloads (but hopefully it doesnt have any spyware). I wouldnt otherwise pay for any of their downloads. Fine if you want to just play on your computer with their program. Looks like you can burn to a CD, but I dont see any easy way to download to a mp3 player. Also, I cant play the mp3's I downloaded from wal-mart in sony's player :p. I have downloaded a few songs from walmart. I like just buying used greatest hits cd's from amazon.com and converting to mp3s.

mikew said:
I was looking through the pod casts in itunes and Bill Gross for pimco has one.
When I used to read his columns, I wondered if he sounds like Cramer's radio show...

cube_cat said:
This is why I'm a mp3 purist. I absolutely will not purchase an iPod because of Apple's closed platform.

That's somewhat true if you buy from the iTunes music store (AAC and FairPlay DRM). But the iPod itself supports lots of formats, including uncompressed (CD quality) WAV and AIFF. Also supports: MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3 and 4), and Apple Lossless.

Also, the ITMS purchases can (and should) be burned to a CD. Once you do that, there is *no* protection on the CD itself.

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom