What is your pet peeve of the day? -- 2021

People who don't show up!

DH offered 2 nice items on a local Free Stuff Facebook Group. He got 2 responses, gave our address and both contacts confirmed times for yesterday afternoon. Neither one showed up! Neither person contacted him to tell him they couldn't make it, one person is even the administrator of the Facebook Group!

Jeesh, you try to be nice......and frugal....and generous.

Let's hope it is not like ours... we flew into one island and they had our car reserved on a different one!!! ANNNNND, they directed me to this by showing the 'savings' I was going to get!!!!

An hour on the phone and waiting some more they FINALLY got it fixed... at first they did not want to as it was 'prepaid' and not refundable, but I think they finally realized it was their fault not mine...

The guy at the counter said it happens all the time!! But, he decided to upgrade me to a convertible so I was happy in the end even though I had to pay the extra $200 for the rental
Picky, picky. So it was only one island off? :LOL:

But seriously, I do worry about having a reservation but no actual car.

Stoplights with the countdown in seconds but when reaches zero takes about 10 extra seconds before changing. What part of 5-4-3-2-1-0 is not understood? :facepalm:

Waiting to see if I got a stoplight ticket. We were visiting my daughter in South Florida. My wife forgot something when we left so had to get off the highway and get turned around. I went off on a side street turned around and then I stopped at the light, but when I did stop with about half of the crosswalk covered. Just as I stopped we were all about blinded by a flash, it was about 5am and still dark. We decided it was a stop light camera, but not sure if it was me or not.

Is covering the crosswalk the same as running a red light?

To continue the quote from the article:

Whether your pump advertises it or not, however, there’s a handy way to shut the dang thing up. There’s an array of buttons along the side of the screen. One of these buttons (usually) mutes the ads. Which one is anyone’s guess, as different companies choose a different mute button.

If this works, this will have been one of the most useful posts here on ER.org this year!

I tried it out today. It was the second button from the top on the right of the screen. One tap and the darn gasoline pump shut up and stayed silent as it poured gasoline into my vehicle. What a great tip!

Last edited:
I tried it out today. It was the second button from the top on the right of the screen. One tap and the darn gasoline pump shut up and stayed silent as it poured gasoline into my vehicle. What a great tip!

I tried it yesterday, second button from the top on the right of the screen, nothing. Then tried all the buttons, nothing. This was at a WaWa.

People who don't show up!

DH offered 2 nice items on a local Free Stuff Facebook Group. He got 2 responses, gave our address and both contacts confirmed times for yesterday afternoon. Neither one showed up! Neither person contacted him to tell him they couldn't make it, one person is even the administrator of the Facebook Group!

Jeesh, you try to be nice......and frugal....and generous.

One of the no shows from yesterday contacted DH and said she'd be over today around 4pm. It's now almost 8pm and she's a no show again.

He's ready to toss the stuff in the trash and leave the Facebook Group. I think he should toss the stuff in the trash and post a picture of it on the group before he leaves.

Do these people do this in other aspects of their lives? Do they miss other appointments? Do they forget to go to work or pick up their kids? Or is someone offering a free item to them so insignificant that they can just not show up?

How rude!

Do these people do this in other aspects of their lives? Do they miss other appointments? Do they forget to go to work or pick up their kids? Or is someone offering a free item to them so insignificant that they can just not show up?

How rude!
When I moved cross country I sold a ton of stuff and gave the rest away. The "free people" were by far the flakiest. No shows, "can you hold it for me for a week", "can you load it into my tiny car" - all sorts of aggravation. One thing that helped was listing things for $1 in the proper categories rather than in the free section of Craigslist. Some people watch that category and just respond immediately that they will take it, then decide later if they really want it. A single person can jerk you around for a week with delays and excuses. One guy figured out I was getting rid of almost everything and asked if he could just wander around the house and claim stuff. :facepalm: Then he started on an antisemitic rant and I tossed him out. What an education in human nature.

Discarded face masks that are starting to show up as litter. A reminder of “what are you thinking?” type people that live among us.

Went to a State park south of Ft. Meyers 2 days ago. Get settled in with no one near.

Right in front of us, 2 feet from the water, is a mask.
Discarded face masks that are starting to show up as litter. A reminder of “what are you thinking?” type people that live among us.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/23/mit...ndoors-at-6-feet-or-60-feet-in-new-study.html

There are very few recorded instances of outdoor transmission," [MIT professor Martin Z. Bazant, who teaches chemical engineering and applied mathematics] said. Though rare, he said it's always possible to contract Covid-19 outdoors, especially at crowded venues like concerts. "Crowded spaces outdoor could be an issue, but if people are keeping a reasonable distance of like 3 feet outside, I feel pretty comfortable with that even without masks frankly.

Then why do I keep smelling pot smoke from passing cars? I'm not flying in the air where the smoke is rising and I'm not closer than 3 feet away. And I'm even wearing my N-95 mask. Not that the mask doesn't help but it's obviously not totally effective.

Whenever I smell pot I inhale deeply.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/23/mit...ndoors-at-6-feet-or-60-feet-in-new-study.html

Then why do I keep smelling pot smoke from passing cars? I'm not flying in the air where the smoke is rising and I'm not closer than 3 feet away. And I'm even wearing my N-95 mask. Not that the mask doesn't help but it's obviously not totally effective.

Well, there's two answers to that. First is that dose matters. Unless you get a solid snort of virus, you probably won't have enough viral load to penetrate your system and reproduce, so you won't catch Covid.

The other is that human olfactory senses are pretty good. Not as good as dogs, but you can smell certain stuff at extremely low concentration. Especially if you have experience with it :LOL:

And, FWIF, at least one recent study has identified ZERO worldwide confirmed cases of casual outdoor transmission of Covid-19. Casual meaning outside of a mass event like a concert or sports arena.

Lastly, that indoor study regarding 6ft vs 60ft was a weird exercise because if 6 feet was good enough to minimize indoor exposure, why would 20 feet or 60 feet be any different? The more interesting study would be 3 feet (as was always recommended by WHO at 1 meter) versus 6 feet, which was apparently made up by CDC out of an exuberance of caution.

On my morning walk, I was always amazed at how I could smell different perfumes and not see anyone around. I just went with, "I must not have Covid, I can still smell!"

First the article from CNBC misses some important points. It is a great example of how the press is ignorant of science and then passes this ignorance on to us in the form of misinformation. It assumes that if an infected person sheds a lot of virus in a room, it is quickly dispersed over the entire volume of the room. In reality, the virus concentration will be higher near the spreader and in certain parts of the room depending on air currents. It all depends on how the room is ventilated. The key to a safer indoor environment is good ventilation. Somehow this fact is tactfully avoided very often.

Smoke and odor particles are not viruses. Just because a person can smell somebody's smoke, perfume or cooking through your mask does not mean that corona virus can easily penetrate the mask. Viruses that emerge from our mouths and nose are far bigger than the most odor molecules. Any mask that would protect you from all odor molecules would probably also severely restrict the amount of oxygen one breathes in. Thankfully, the virus is bigger than oxygen molecules, so a good quality mask can filter out a lot of virus and allow oxygen in.

So, you smell the smoke in the passing cars because the smoke odor molecules are far smaller than the corona virus the mask needs to filter out.

Personally, I wore a mask pre-vaccination indoors and still do it post vaccination if required by the property owner or the law. But, the moment I can, I take the dang thing off.

Note the diagram in the article below. The corona virus is far, far, far bigger than the sulfur dioxide molecule that causes gas to smell bad.

https://medium.com/geek-physics/if-masks-work-why-can-i-smell-farts-c0b8e10323c6

That’s the best I can do. In this diagram, I made the SO2 with a diameter of 4 pixels and the coronavirus with a diameter of 1664 pixels. If I made the coronavirus small enough to fit in the image, you wouldn’t be able to see the sulfur dioxide.

Last edited:
If someone is using dryer sheets in their dyer, I can smell it across the street. Must be good strong stuff in it.

Is that the stuff they put into natural gas so we can smell a leak?

The article I mentioned, is talking about the gas caused by animal flatulence. :)

Still NOT sulfur dioxide! Flatulence consists of several odourous compounds (methyl mercaptan, ethyl mercapatn, etc, sometimes ammonia, maybe methyl amine and non-odorous ones such as methane.
Sulfur dioxide is a very corrosive gas that instantaneously reacts with water to form sulfurous acid (a relative of the better known corrosive agent sulfuric acid). This would be a problem to have in your colon. Remember, the stomach is designed to handle acid, but the colon is designed for neutral to slightly basic pH.

Last edited:

Attachments

• smoke-coronavirus-particle-size.jpg
    smoke-coronavirus-particle-size.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 33
On my morning walk, I was always amazed at how I could smell different perfumes and not see anyone around. I just went with, "I must not have Covid, I can still smell!"

On our late afternoon/early evening walks, we smell the most delicious cooking. Makes us want to knock on doors and invite ourselves over :LOL:.

On our late afternoon/early evening walks, we smell the most delicious cooking. Makes us want to knock on doors and invite ourselves over :LOL:.
Sorry we closed the blinds . We thought you were Jehovah's Witnesses.

Back
Top Bottom