What is your pet peeve of the day? -- 2021

I've stopped doing reviews after a neighbor told me about problems with a repair done to his home. He gave the outfit a good review since the repair fixed the problem. About a month later the repair failed, and their reason for wanting to fully charge him again was that "you gave us a good review so the failure can't be our fault."
Not so good.

I've stopped doing reviews after a neighbor told me about problems with a repair done to his home. He gave the outfit a good review since the repair fixed the problem. About a month later the repair failed, and their reason for wanting to fully charge him again was that "you gave us a good review so the failure can't be our fault."
Not so good.

Amazon allows product reviewers to update their posts, as I have seen when researching for my purchases. Apparently, not all sites do this.

Frightening experience with T. Rowe Price

ANYBODY KNOW A WAY AROUND THIS MESS ?

I fear my bad experience with T Rowe Price over three MONTHS may be a harbinger of worse to come.

But before you all jump down my throat…
I AM AWARE T. Rowe Price’s expense ratios far exceed Vanguard & Fidelity. I became a client in the 80’s and kept some money at TRP for the service that it usually used to provide. I thought: you get what you pay for. :facepalm:

Now it seems you don’t get what you pay for. ::confused:

T. Rowe Price’s representatives have repeatedly assured me copies of several documents and a form letter were forthcoming “in a couple of weeks.” These are basic, scan-and-send type requests, nothing fancy.

Still, I have had to prod repeatedly, always dealing with a customer service representative who pretends to have authority, but then reveals, weeks later, that s/he does not. Endless phone calls. Two weeks has become three months. Not having these documents has cost me opportunities. A serious problem.

Calls from superiors are promised, but never happen. There is no way to contact anyone with authority directly. The representatives tell me they don’t know who I could complain to within the organization. The span of these commuincation-blocking walls is frightening because there are times when we need a human being to meaningfully address a concern.

I appreciate that big companies staff call centers at close to minimum wage and it’s likely a horrible job. But you try to be understanding with these people, and they just take advantage of your good nature. And you lose.

Anybody know a way around this ?

I bought a jar of olives that said “whole olives” but the fine print says “machine pitted, caution: may contain pits or pit fragments.” Fine. Looking at the olives inside the jar, they all have little holes on each end.

But NO! Every single one has a pit that’s adhered to the flesh like superglue.

ANYBODY KNOW A WAY AROUND THIS MESS ?

I fear my bad experience with T Rowe Price over three MONTHS may be a harbinger of worse to come.

But before you all jump down my throat…
I AM AWARE T. Rowe Price’s expense ratios far exceed Vanguard & Fidelity. I became a client in the 80’s and kept some money at TRP for the service that it usually used to provide. I thought: you get what you pay for. :facepalm:

Now it seems you don’t get what you pay for. ::confused:

T. Rowe Price’s representatives have repeatedly assured me copies of several documents and a form letter were forthcoming “in a couple of weeks.” These are basic, scan-and-send type requests, nothing fancy.

Still, I have had to prod repeatedly, always dealing with a customer service representative who pretends to have authority, but then reveals, weeks later, that s/he does not. Endless phone calls. Two weeks has become three months. Not having these documents has cost me opportunities. A serious problem.

Calls from superiors are promised, but never happen. There is no way to contact anyone with authority directly. The representatives tell me they don’t know who I could complain to within the organization. The span of these commuincation-blocking walls is frightening because there are times when we need a human being to meaningfully address a concern.

I appreciate that big companies staff call centers at close to minimum wage and it’s likely a horrible job. But you try to be understanding with these people, and they just take advantage of your good nature. And you lose.

Anybody know a way around this ?
My career took me inside many of these organizations; most call centers respond to "please transfer me to a supervisor". Tell them you'll hold.

If that's not helpful try this link, it provides snail mail and supposed email addresses for the key executives. They generally give a crap about the back office/customer experiences. I'd suggest a nice snail mail.

https://app.lead411.com/company_TRo... Stromberg | T.,Email CEO @troweprice.com CFO

ETA: Those folks are licensed series 6/7 and make a bit more than minimum wage.

Last edited:
Crossword puzzles with abbreviations that could be about any combination of letters in the words, and plurals that are rarely plural. Even if you know the answer for the abbreviation you don't know which letters they decided to use without knowing crossing answers. An example of plurals is in today's WaPo, "Hurlers stats". The answer is ERAs. But ERA is almost never used in plural. It's all just lazy, IMO.

People shooting off fireworks on Memorial Day. It is a day of remembrance, not a day of fireworks and celebration. They're shooting them off right now, illegally, in our neighborhood.

Reactions: W2R
People shooting off fireworks on Memorial Day. It is a day of remembrance, not a day of fireworks and celebration. They're shooting them off right now, illegally, in our neighborhood.

Happening here, too, and I am annoyed for the same reason. I spent a portion of today re-reading the stories of my USNA classmates who died in the line of duty. Every time, as I read their stories and look at their pictures as smiling young Midshipmen, I am reminded of this stanza from the poem "For the Fallen" by Laurence Binyon

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

Reactions: W2R
Happening here, too, and I am annoyed for the same reason. I spent a portion of today re-reading the stories of my USNA classmates who died in the line of duty. Every time, as I read their stories and look at their pictures as smiling young Midshipmen, I am reminded of this stanza from the poem "For the Fallen" by Laurence Binyon

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

I pray we keep remembering them. God bless them for their sacrifice.

What? You mean it's not a day of fireworks and mattress sales?!? :cool:

I have annoyances, but Memorial Day "misunderstandings" is close to my #1 pet peeve.

Don’t forget the unthinking “Happy Memorial Day.” I’m happy we had heroes who sacrificed all to protect us, but it’s not an appropriate greeting.

I agree wholeheartedly. My DW showed me a couple of posts on Facebook of folks who started their post with, "Happy Memorial Day!" and then went on to tell everyone the "real" meaning of the day. :mad:

A different view by a former Navy pilot.

... This Memorial Day, I will head to the ocean as the sun is coming up. I will spend some time alone, and think about those who never made it back. Then I will return to my wife and kids and be grateful for my life. I will fire up the grill and invite friends over. And I will wish each of them a Happy Memorial Day, knowing full well that this day and the joy it brings are gifts I can never repay. Except, perhaps, by living a life full of happiness as my fallen friends would have wanted.

https://observer.com/2015/05/its-perfectly-ok-to-say-happy-memorial-day/

+1 I have no doubt that is happening all over the country. Not what I consider a respectful way of remembrance. I understand New Years and 4th of July fireworks but after that - not so much.

Cheers!

Interesting... we have people here who will shoot off fireworks for any occasion.... but none were heard on Memorial Day... guess they at least have a bit of class...

Long, long, long wait times on hold for customer service. It seems to be much worse with Covid and not letting up. It seems like everyone "is experiencing higher than normal wait times." I'm currently on hold with Pella to ask about a door replacement part. Had to laugh at their voice message:"We at Pella strive to answer all calls within 30 seconds. We estimate your wait time will be 25 minutes." What is wrong with this picture?

Ignorant drivers. A person couldn't wait behind the motor home they were trying to pass for another mile for a passing zone to open up. They were also afraid to drive too fast. That's OK, me and others can drive off the pavement to keep grandma from killing a bunch of us as she's in the oncoming traffic lane. I wonder what she thought her contingency was?

Wow, nobody has posted in this thread since the beginning of June? Everyone must be reasonably happy lately then? ;)

OK, my pet peeve. I see in flyers "88c sale", "99c sale". They list up a bunch of items that cost 99c, $1.99, $2.99, etc. What??

Those 88c sales and 99c sales are useless IMO. They should have sales like "20% off sale", "30% off sale" which are much more clear cut and understandable.

Wow, I sound so trivial!

Flyers from stores with sale/coupon items. The few times I looked, none of the stuff would I ever buy, sale or no sale.

Flyers from stores with sale/coupon items. The few times I looked, none of the stuff would I ever buy, sale or no sale.

Maybe that's why the stuff is on sale. No one else is buying it either.

OK...AMZN packaging. The say they plan to be "carbon neutral" by some date. Well, considering they use no less than 50 square feet of cardboard to package a 4 oz bottle of lotion, I don't think that is happening anytime soon.

Oh, and one more. This kind of math just boggles my mind but I see it often.

Attachments

• fractions.jpg
    fractions.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 32
Back
Top Bottom