What is your pet peeve of the day? -- 2021

Being the wise guy I am, my temptation would have been to say "Yes, of course it can, but you may or may not be happy with the results." :angel:
Depending on whether altered states of consciousness is something you enjoy.

I keep turning on my gas stove, forgetting it's not plugged in because I'm working on the outlet, and gas escapes because the electric starter needs power. They need to add electronics to detect whether the starter is activated before releasing gas. I think it should be a heat sensor, so in a power outage, you can hold a match to the burner and it will light when you turn the burner knob.

Not really a pet peeve for me, since it works to my advantage... maybe just an interesting observation that have "peeved" those when they realize they could save time...

The Costco gas station usually has the cheapest gas price around and usually has long lines... but ONLY for the pumps that are on the left side of vehicles, as most vehicles those days have the gas tank cap on the left side.

Meanwhile, for the pumps on the right side of vehicles, those lanes are almost always open, or have at most one vehicle there. Even though the hose is engineered to reach the left side of the vehicle.

I am still surprised at the number of times I use the right side pump, and someone eventually makes their way behind me, and makes a remark along the lines "I didn't know the hose was that long!" (of course, one time did result in a "Happiest Moment of the Day" for me... :D).

The attendants on duty also do not seem to be pointing this out to folks on the long lines. Maybe it is just this Costco.

Since we're on Costco, let me list one of my peeves. There is a Costco near my house, on the Boston Post Road (US-1). There is a light at the entrance with a signal controlled left turn lane. If you are going straight in the opposite direction on the Post Road, you are taking your life in your hands if you start out when the light turns green, because the left-turning Costco shoppers run the red left arrow light for many, many cars every cycle - essentially playing chicken with the oncoming drivers. And I have witnessed many of them give the one finger salute to anyone who dares to use the horn on them.

It's a mystery why those morons want to break the law and risk both of our lives just so they can go wait in incredibly long lines for gas and pay to shop in a crappy store. Besides, how do they know I'm not armed, having a really bad day and willing to follow them into the Costco lot to have a discussion about their poor driving?

Last edited:
Not really a pet peeve for me, since it works to my advantage... maybe just an interesting observation that have "peeved" those when they realize they could save time...

The Costco gas station usually has the cheapest gas price around and usually has long lines... but ONLY for the pumps that are on the left side of vehicles, as most vehicles those days have the gas tank cap on the left side.

Meanwhile, for the pumps on the right side of vehicles, those lanes are almost always open, or have at most one vehicle there. Even though the hose is engineered to reach the left side of the vehicle.

I am still surprised at the number of times I use the right side pump, and someone eventually makes their way behind me, and makes a remark along the lines "I didn't know the hose was that long!" (of course, one time did result in a "Happiest Moment of the Day" for me... :D).

The attendants on duty also do not seem to be pointing this out to folks on the long lines. Maybe it is just this Costco.

Since I do not use Costco I do not know how long the hose is...

But at other stations, to reach the other side I have to drape the hose over my trunk... and if you park too far from the pump you do not make it...

As for my Pilot the hose does not reach...

Me, I just go the wrong way to the pump and pump gas at Sams Club... never have had a problem.. but I use Sams very rarely and the opposite way even more so...

The latest in TV commercial viewing...

When watching the Masters this weekend, instead of the traditional "commercial break" (yes, those were there too), the station split the viewing screen 1/3 (the golf), 2/3 (a commercial). When they did that, the sound was off on the golf and the commercial was blaring away.

This "commercial dung" is getting increasingly annoying! :(

When watching the Masters this weekend, instead of the traditional "commercial break" (yes, those were there too), the station split the viewing screen 1/3 (the golf), 2/3 (a commercial). When they did that, the sound was off on the golf and the commercial was blaring away.

I was rooting for Spieth. I don't mind the split screen commercials too much. I'm assuming the same number of minutes of commercials would have been shown with or without the split screen, but I could be wrong. The commercial breaks used to be much longer, I think. So they are moving in the right direction. And remember the year they showed the Masters without *any* commercials? That was great.

Not quite the same...but it is similar to the split screens you see on some news channels and especially The Weather Channel. The radar screen will sometimes be as small as 1/4 of the screen...and that is quite annoying. No wonder we all need 84" TVs to see everything.

Since I do not use Costco I do not know how long the hose is...

But at other stations, to reach the other side I have to drape the hose over my trunk... and if you park too far from the pump you do not make it...

As for my Pilot the hose does not reach...

Me, I just go the wrong way to the pump and pump gas at Sams Club... never have had a problem.. but I use Sams very rarely and the opposite way even more so...

At the local Costco it is quite long. I bring it around the back of my car or SUV without issue. There are also lane markers, so as long as you are between the lane marker and the pump it is not an issue.

I have considered going the "wrong way", but at this Costco they have one entrance side and one exit side, and going the "wrong way" would complicate matters due to the volume.

At the local Costco it is quite long. I bring it around the back of my car or SUV without issue. There are also lane markers, so as long as you are between the lane marker and the pump it is not an issue.

I have considered going the "wrong way", but at this Costco they have one entrance side and one exit side, and going the "wrong way" would complicate matters due to the volume.

Guess we have one of the slowest Costco stores in the country because I have never had to wait for gas and rarely have to stand in line for more than a couple of minutes...and they are opening another location about 25 miles south of the other location. I think it has to do with population density...as ours is pretty low.

I keep turning on my gas stove, forgetting it's not plugged in because I'm working on the outlet, and gas escapes because the electric starter needs power. They need to add electronics to detect whether the starter is activated before releasing gas. I think it should be a heat sensor, so in a power outage, you can hold a match to the burner and it will light when you turn the burner knob.

No need for an outlet...there are plenty of new, battery-ignition gas ranges out there.

They typically use a 9V battery to ignite the range top burners & a pilot light for the oven...pilot is extinguished when oven is turned off.

You can still light the burners manually or even the oven, though that usually requires pulling out the bottom drawer.

Short sighted developers

Contractors and developers that don't plan ahead. Just got an email that a new house being built next to us doesn't have sewer run to their lot. This is the developer that is doing the construction and built the subdivision. Now they have to dig up my front yard and possibly bust my driveway to run a sewer line to the new house. They have promised to redo my yard and driveway to as new with new grass sod.
But why didn't they run the sewer line when they were laying out the street? This is in a planned retirement community so every lot was planned.
But it's not only the developer. The cable company and gas company only runs a line to each house as they sign up that customer. So each time they have to dig up someone's yard for the new service.

Do they have an easement to run a line through your property?

Influencers. Rather, those with no life looking at others' fake ones.

Contractors and developers that don't plan ahead. Just got an email that a new house being built next to us doesn't have sewer run to their lot. This is the developer that is doing the construction and built the subdivision. Now they have to dig up my front yard and possibly bust my driveway to run a sewer line to the new house. They have promised to redo my yard and driveway to as new with new grass sod.
But why didn't they run the sewer line when they were laying out the street? This is in a planned retirement community so every lot was planned.
But it's not only the developer. The cable company and gas company only runs a line to each house as they sign up that customer. So each time they have to dig up someone's yard for the new service.

Top 10 reasons to not buy/build in a neighborhood that isn't complete.

We have a new neighborhood that is being built across the "main drag" but since the new hood doesn't have the streets on Google maps yet, we are getting a LOT of construction traffic coming through. BOO! HISS! BOO!

But our neighbor is complete. This one lot is on a street that was completed years ago. The developer just didn't think to run the sewer to the end of the street.
Yes there is a servitude across the front of my lot.

Media references to Covid vaccine-poor wording.

Media references to Covid immunization. They are all calling it a "jab". Yikes! They could call it a "shot." (In our family we jokingly referred to going out to get "shot") I prefer immunization personally. It's a global description. Vaccination was the word coined for smallpox vaccine with the vaccinia virus but now is synonymous with immunization. But using the word "jab" is awful-it sound violent.

Media references to Covid immunization. They are all calling it a "jab". Yikes! They could call it a "shot." (In our family we jokingly referred to going out to get "shot") I prefer immunization personally. It's a global description. Vaccination was the word coined for smallpox vaccine with the vaccinia virus but now is synonymous with immunization. But using the word "jab" is awful-it sound violent.

I’ve only heard Brits using “jab”. They probably think Americans calling it a “shot” sounds violent, or at least consistent with America’s plethora of guns.

Kleenex boxes that don’t properly lift up the next tissue for grabbing. I hate having to dig down and try in the box and try to find the edge of the next tissue to retrieve it. Only to grab about 5 tissues. Then rinse and repeat.

Kleenex boxes that don’t properly lift up the next tissue for grabbing. I hate having to dig down and try in the box and try to find the edge of the next tissue to retrieve it. Only to grab about 5 tissues. Then rinse and repeat.

I hate that too. Discovered that they make a "flat" box and a "fat" box. The fat box stops dispensing tissues correctly about 1/2 way down. I finally found that they make the flat boxes. The only place I can buy them in bulk is BJ's. Sam's and Costco carry the fat boxes.

I hate that too. Discovered that they make a "flat" box and a "fat" box. The fat box stops dispensing tissues correctly about 1/2 way down. I finally found that they make the flat boxes. The only place I can buy them in bulk is BJ's. Sam's and Costco carry the fat boxes.

That’s probably my deal. Costco is our Kleenex supplier. Never knew of a fat box. I’ll keep an eye out. Your exactly right that the fail point begins about 1/2 way down.

Actually any box with an "easy open" tab most of which rip off requiring you tear open the box anyways.

If "fat" means the cube boxes like these then I've had the same problem with them. Except I've had that problem with the standard boxes too. My other tissue pet peeves are:

• Sometimes when I pull a tissue out a bunch of tissue dust comes out with it. I think it's happened even with some major brands, but not often.
  • The cube boxes are significantly more expensive per tissue. I could use the extra space but it's not as important anymore so I switched to the standard boxes to save money. I use a ton of tissues.
  • Most brands of tissue have a grain, meaning I can tear a very even, narrow strip of tissue along only two of the four sizes. I like when I could make the tear along the end sticking out of the box, keeping the rest of the tissue in the box, but the cheap store brand from my local supermarket only tears well along the sides. Amazon's Solimo tissues have no grain and tear poorly along either axis, but that's what I've been buying because of the price

I put a piece of tissue in the middle of my nasal strip because the glue in the middle doesn't help the strip stay on. The center gets pressed against your nose. So another pet peeve is that they put glue in the center. It's hard to wash it off of your nose. I use a tissue to rub it off.

Last edited:
That’s probably my deal. Costco is our Kleenex supplier. Never knew of a fat box. I’ll keep an eye out. Your exactly right that the fail point begins about 1/2 way down.

They don't show on the Kleenex web site that there are 2 different size flat boxes. The bulk package that I'm buying now is actually marked "flat" and the boxes are 3 1/2" tall. I don't think the larger bulk package says "flat". The larger size box that you have is about 1" taller. Even though I discovered they have 2 different sizes I still goof and buy the larger boxes once in a while.
BOBO, You are talking about a cube box. Not what we are talking about.

Back
Top Bottom