What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazon claiming to ship 'prime' items in two day when in reality it is a week. I'm told my prime item was shipped on Thursday and not to expect it till Wednesday the following week.

I'm not a mathematician but that seems like more than 2 days to me.

After expressing my frustrations over Amazon chat customer service I am basically told "oh well, tough luck. If you're item(s) have to come from a different fulfillment center - the shipping might be longer"
If you are advertising 2 day shipping and could actually do it by shipping it overnight to meet the 2 day time, even from a different fulfillment center, shouldn't you do it?

I've actually had the most accurate and actual on time delivery with Walmart's two day shipping over Amazon's. I guess they are the go to place for online ordering now...

Amazon claiming to ship 'prime' items in two day when in reality it is a week. I'm told my prime item was shipped on Thursday and not to expect it till Wednesday the following week.

I'm not a mathematician but that seems like more than 2 days to me.

I think that's a problem. :LOL:

I remember, in high school, when my English teacher said, "Don't say 'I think ...' It makes your statement weaker." She gave an example:

I think Everett Dirksen is a great senator.

vs.

Everett Dirksen is a great senator.

So, not really a peeve, but I'm surprised at how many politicians and others still say "I think ...," not realizing how much it weakens their argument.

I sometimes write "I think ..." but only when trying to be polite (e.g. when critiquing someone's writing).

Adding "I think" makes it an opinion. Without it it is stated as fact. "I think" is appropriate if stating a hypothesis rather than a proven fact.

Plus they cannot win a lawsuit if it is an opinion....

I kinda have the same thought at times when the news always uses 'suspect' when talking about a criminal... even if he was shot dead with the gun in his hand and everybody saw him as the shooter he is still a 'suspect'... really?

I remember, in high school, when my English teacher said, "Don't say 'I think ...' It makes your statement weaker." She gave an example:

I think Everett Dirksen is a great senator.

vs.

Everett Dirksen is a great senator.

So, not really a peeve, but I'm surprised at how many politicians and others still say "I think ...," not realizing how much it weakens their argument.

I sometimes write "I think ..." but only when trying to be polite (e.g. when critiquing someone's writing).

I'm with the others on this. You and your English teacher are wrong.

"Everett Dirksen is a great senator" is a subjective opinion, even if the vast majority were to agree. Saying "I think" is appropriate. It's not 'weak', because it isn't a fact.

When "politicians and others still say "I think ...," ", it doesn't weaken their argument, it actually would show arrogance to state an opinion as fact.

-ERD50

I kinda have the same thought at times when the news always uses 'suspect' when talking about a criminal... even if he was shot dead with the gun in his hand and everybody saw him as the shooter he is still a 'suspect'... really?

The media do that in self-defense because until he's actually convicted in court he's a "suspect". If they don't it can put them open to libel suits if by some weird set of circumstances he's exonerated later on. And that does happen. Not often, but it does.

The media do that in self-defense because until he's actually convicted in court he's a "suspect". If they don't it can put them open to libel suits if by some weird set of circumstances he's exonerated later on. And that does happen. Not often, but it does.

That's your alleged opinion. :)

Adding "I think" makes it an opinion. Without it it is stated as fact. "I think" is appropriate if stating a hypothesis rather than a proven fact.
+1
I wrote a lot of reviews on various implementions of the software megacorp developed. The audience was the customer and our implementation folks. I quickly realized that passive statements were my friend. Especially with some hard headed ignorant folks. [emoji23] There were some very fragile egos that had to be preserved.

One of the nicest compliments I ever received was from an internal guy in the UK. He received an early copy and commented how nicely I'd called his customer a dumb azz.

Interesting to see that viewpoint.

OTOH, of course it's what you think.

From: https://qz.com/647121/five-weak-words-you-should-avoid-and-what-to-use-instead/

3. I believe/I feel/I think

Example: ”I believe the author has a great point here…”

I had this professor in college who wasn’t afraid of telling you just how crappy your writing was. One day he pulled me aside and said, “Andrea, you don’t need to say ‘I believe.’ We already know it’s what you believe, you’re the one writing it.”

Why it’s a problem: ”I believe,” “I feel,” and “I think” do not inspire confidence in the reader—they do the exact opposite. Their use causes the reader to question the author’s authenticity and honesty. These words make the writer sound unsure of themselves and the topic discussed. It also forces the writer to overuse pronouns and that’s bad news. Here’s why:

Computer programmer James Pennebaker analyzed over 400,000 texts in his mission to see what our word choice reveals about us. When Pennebaker analyzed military transcripts, his team could tell individuals relative ranks based entirely on patterns of speech. What does this tell us? Our choice and use of pronouns reveals how we view ourselves and how we view our relationships with others. In short, it reveals our personality to the reader. This is fine in cases of autobiography, but most of the time it only serves to weaken your work.

The use of words like, “I think” or “I believe” changes the focus of the sentence. Instead of the focus being on the subject, it is on the author. It’s like a big blinking neon light saying, “Hi, this is me the author talking, look at me sitting here talking about my opinions! Isn’t this great?” It’s not great. You take the reader out of the piece completely which is generally something a writer wishes to avoid, especially if you are trying to persuade the reader.

Case in point: “I believe the researcher has a great point here.”

Instead try: “The researcher has a great point here.”

This causes the power dynamics to shift. The sentence goes from sounding wishy-washy to sounding confident. It also places the focus back where it belongs. Bonus points to everyone.

Those tiny clear plastic whatsits that affix tags to new clothing. If you use fewer than three hands to remove them, inevitably one of their T ends falls on the ground waiting to be stepped on by bare feet at 3 AM.

If that's true, why didn't you write?

"I think that adding 'I think' makes it an opinion."

Why it’s a problem: ”I believe,” “I feel,” and “I think” do not inspire confidence in the reader—they do the exact opposite. Their use causes the reader to question the author’s authenticity and honesty. These words make the writer sound unsure of themselves and the topic discussed. It also forces the writer to overuse pronouns and that’s bad news.

OTOH, for a person who writes nonfiction pieces for publication, using "I think" can be wise. Without that phrase, the statement is potentially falsifiable. With it, you can't refute the statement. :)

Given today's social climate shouldn't it be "I feel" rather than "I think"?

Cogito, ergo sum. - René Descartes

René Descartes walks into a bar and orders a drink.
When he finishes his drink, the bartender asks him if he would like another.
Descartes replies, “No, I think not,” and disappears in a puff of logic.

My pet peeve is people who lounge on the weight machines between sets.

I was using the weight machines at the gym yesterday. My routine is to do one set of reps on each of 12-15 machines. I prefer to do them in a specific order, but will vary the order if a machine is in use. After I finished the leg adductor machine, I would typically move to the abductor machine but there was a woman using it so I moved to another in my routine. I kept monitoring the situation as I moved from exercise to exercise, hoping to jump back to the abductor. But this woman was doing multiple sets, then sitting on the machine as she rested between sets. I even saw her taking on her phone while sitting on the machine.

Finally, I was finished with all my other stopes and had only the abductor left. The same woman was sitting there still, resting between sets. I approached and asked if I could sneak in between sets. She “I’m not finished yet, I have one more set” to which I replied you’ve been here for a long time, I’d like to get one set while you rest. Then she got all indignant and said “ I don’t have to get off for anyone”. I pointed out that it is proper etiquette to let others work in between sets but she started arguing, so I just walked away.

I was using the weight machines at the gym yesterday. My routine is to do one set of reps on each of 12-15 machines. I prefer to do them in a specific order, but will vary the order if a machine is in use.

+1000
We work out the same as you do. With regulars at the gym most* are happy to let someone work in. Tourists not so much.

* One lady's not, I don't even know her name, but she told me how I should vote last November.[emoji23] I gave her my name and no politics. That was our introduction, haven't had a need to talk since.

News articles that start with the contraction, “Here’s...”. It helps me realize my advanced writing skills compared to the average journalist. This especially spears in local news.

“Here’s what happened today.” “Here’s all what you need to know about...”

It is saying “Here in this article I, the non-expert who writes poorly in a topic about which I know nothing.”

I add an implied "I think" to anyone's posting on the internet, or even in face to face discussions. Whether they say it, or I mentally add it, it is so much easier for me to deal with. Then I decide to categorize it as a fact or as an opinion.

Even worse... people who try to "reserve" a machine even when not on it.

Monday I was working out. There are 2 leg machines - I do not know their official names, so I call them "the spreader" (spread against the resistance) and "the squeezer" (squeeze to the resistance). As I approach the spreader machine a woman gets there and puts her bag, towel, etc. next to it and sits on it to use. No problem, I move on to a different machine. After I finish a couple of other machines the spreader is free, but her stuff is still on the floor next to it, and the woman is now on the squeezer machine, texting.

So, I go and sit on the spreader to use it - and the woman says "excuse me, I'm still using that one".

I gave her a puzzled look at said "Hmm... did the laws of physics change so that a body can be in two places at and the same, and thus occupy 2 machines at once?"

Now it were her turn to give me a puzzled look, so while she tried to figure out my statement I just smiled and proceeded to do my set on the spreader machine, then got up and said "well, physics does not matter at this point, I'm done", and walked away.

People who insist on blocking the shopping aisle with their baskets. I give them one "excuse me" and then move their basket. I don't know if most are just unaware of their action or if they are aware and just don't care.

I hate rudeness.

People who insist on blocking the shopping aisle with their baskets. I give them one "excuse me" and then move their basket. I don't know if most are just unaware of their action or if they are aware and just don't care.

I hate rudeness.

Especially bad are the ones who position the basket at a near 90 degree angle to shelves, thus guaranteeing maximum blockage.

Men wearing hats indoors. Especially veterans. They should know better.
Next up is sunglasses on indoors.

Men wearing hats indoors. Especially veterans. They should know better.
Next up is sunglasses on indoors.

You wouldn't say that if you saw what us vets heads looked like. Why wash or even comb what hair I got left if I can just put a cap on it.

You wouldn't say that if you saw what us vets heads looked like. Why wash or even comb what hair I got left if I can just put a cap on it.
I am a veteran. Active duty 67-70. Do know vets heads look like, including mine. And see what is left of hair it in the miror.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom