What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand the sidewalk issue but so what if I park on my lawn.

July, 4. My house, 8 cars in the driveway and about 10 cars on the lawn.
Could have had the lawn parkers park in the road and block half of the road but I'm a good neighbor and wouldn't do that.

I have no sidewalks and even better no street lights.
I have your sidewalks and street lights, and love having them. :D I love having a street light right in front of my house, even though it shines in the bedroom window. I think/hope it deters crime. No cars have parked on my lawn that I ever knew about. I didn't invite a single soul over here on the 4th. OK, I think one of us must be living in Reverse World.

I have your sidewalks and street lights, and love having them. :D I love having a street light right in front of my house, even though it shines in the bedroom window. I think/hope it deters crime. No cars have parked on my lawn that I ever knew about. I didn't invite a single soul over here on the 4th. OK, I think one of us must be living in Reverse World.

They just put in a new type of street lamp in front of my house(lamp was there just new bulbs), if you stare up at it you can tell its LED. Talk about bright. The one around the corner when it was installed last week it looked like car headlights were aiming down the street. I kept inching out of the intersection to see where the car was,hahaha

Reverse world indeed.
About 15 years ago the power company sent out notices that they planed to install street lights in our subdivision and all the residents objected and signed a petition against them and they acutely listened. So far so good, no street lights.

How about this:

HOA's that write your house up for violations, but it's really your neighbor's house, but you get the obnoxious and threatening letter. Plus, they SPELL YOUR NAME WRONG!

How about this:

HOA's that write your house up for violations, but it's really your neighbor's house, but you get the obnoxious and threatening letter. Plus, they SPELL YOUR NAME WRONG!

There was an empty lot behind my mothers house , every few years the sanitation department would clean it out and put a summons in my mothers mailbox, and then they sent her another bill in the mail. In the pre computer days I had to go down to the tax people and look for who the real owner was, then I had to go to court and show that the lot was not hers. This would take several appearances because the guy who wrote the summons was not present on the first hearing date.

Went out to dinner this evening and a couple had decided to bring their two children, probably about 6 and 8, out for a family dinner. A nice thought but perhaps better done when the two kids aren't having coughing fits. Common sense somewhat lacking.

I open a fair # of envelopes each day - mostly bills for the rentals and credit cards and a few payments on loans or such. Usually flip the stack and use a letter opener, then go through the pile with Quicken. Seems like banks are fond of sending autopays not in a regular envelope but in glued together monstrosities that require one to fold and tear three perforated sides off before picking the cover sheets apart to reveal a check one must also carefully tear out. ARGGH! Not a fan.

Imagine my joy at discovering some loan company decided to use the same horrible tear apart format just to offer me a loan that could have a longer term and LOWER PAYMENTS! Sneaky beggars managed to get by my normal awareness of junk mail and forced me to spend time folding and tearing.

Today's pet peeve - people out in public totally ignoring the person they are with to look at their phone. Yesterday it was a dad with a toddler at lunch. He never stopped looking at his phone, not once.

People who have dogs and don't pick up their poop, especially on the sidewalk for other pedestrians to step on.

People who have horses and don't pick up their poop, especially in the middle of the road for cars to run over.

Just posted to the repair thread and decided to add to this...

When you take your car in for service and they decide to torque down a screw so hard that you cannot get it loose!!!

Was changing out the air filter on the SUV... was using a screw driver and I was only able to break 3 loose using that... and with a LOT of force... you could hear when they broke loose with a loud pop... the 4th would not budge and I was starting to strip out the screw.... so had to get out the socket wrench and was using one that looked like a screwdriver... it finally came, but I thought I would have to get an extension and use a ratchet to get leverage....

I am NOT weak!!!

When you take your car in for service and they decide to torque down a screw so hard that you cannot get it loose!!!

Was changing out the air filter on the SUV... was using a screw driver and I was only able to break 3 loose using that... and with a LOT of force... you could hear when they broke loose with a loud pop... the 4th would not budge and I was starting to strip out the screw.... so had to get out the socket wrench and was using one that looked like a screwdriver... it finally came, but I thought I would have to get an extension and use a ratchet to get leverage....

I am NOT weak!!!

Dollar to doughnuts they used an air tool to put them in.

Dollar to doughnuts they used an air tool to put them in.

It is the air filter for the car... not easy to do with small screws... but heck, they might have an air tool for that anyhow...

-------------------------------------------------------- Right! I watched the guy at my last car inspection putting my wheel back on with the air wrench. I couldn't tell if he had it set on any certain amount of footpounds, or just maxed it out. Didn't ask him (awkward) , since we had become pals talking about my car, and I had learned something valuable about checking rear drum brakes easily, through a sight hole. As soon as I got back home, I put my own lug wrench on the wheel and man they were on tight. I didn't want the rotor to warp (front) so I loosened them all up, and retightened them to normal. Had to stand and jump on the wrench to loosen them. :(

Last edited:
Ooh, I have always wanted to add on here. I have two today. People that park in their yards on the grass and people who block the sidewalk with their cars.

I think I can one-up you here, Yoga. People who pave over their entire front lawns to have more parking space. Hey, no more pesky lawn to mow. Who cares if the neighborhood now looks like a public housing project? I get to park more cars. Life is good. (sarcasm). I live in a townhouse development and everyone has tiny front yards, with grass (originally). Some buildings now have no front yards, just a big ugly parking lot. Yeah, it's their property, I get that, but whoa......

I live in a townhouse development and everyone has tiny front yards, with grass (originally). Some buildings now have no front yards, just a big ugly parking lot.

'Luckily' for us our little townhouse development is a condo with 'rules & regs'.....sure we have to communally pay for lawn/garden maintenance, but they do a good job and it eliminates the horrors you mention. Yuk.

My pet peeve of the day is folks that don't answer straight forward questions.

I sent via an online portal a message to my sister's doctor about needing a copy of a prescription to forward to my sister's insurance. I asked, "How do I get a copy of the prescription?" The answer was 'A prescription was sent" :facepalm: not explaining sent to whom or where? Or do I go to the office and pick up a copy?

My pet peeve of the day is folks that don't answer straight forward questions.

I sent via an online portal a message to my sister's doctor about needing a copy of a prescription to forward to my sister's insurance. I asked, "How do I get a copy of the prescription?" The answer was 'A prescription was sent" :facepalm: not explaining sent to whom or where? Or do I go to the office and pick up a copy?

Whenever I hear a story about some "disgruntled" person walking into a place and shooting the place up... I, sort of, feel like I might understand, just a little, where he's coming from

Whenever I hear a story about some "disgruntled" person walking into a place and shooting the place up... I, sort of, feel like I might understand, just a little, where he's coming from

Actually, the doctor is a very good doctor and listens to my sister during the checkups. So, I hear, as I have another sister who is present during the checkups, not me.

Hopefully, I'll get better when the doctor responds (I expect) later on :angel:.

How about this one. I emailed a guy selling a car on Craigslist asking him 8 specific questions since I'm looking for a small vehicle to tow behind my motorhome and need to know the specific answers before I consider driving 200 miles. Here is his response: "That's exactly what it is. I just replaced it. Although I would rather buy a new towbar,
I was going to use the tow bar for my new vehicle."

Would anyone like to interpret this for me? IOW what exactly is it? Will he buy another towbar or keep that one? And what about the other questions?
Geez! think I'll pass on this one, hate to bother him with any more questions.

That was one my pet peeves when I was working: people who respond to only either the first or last question in a list. Either they can only be bothered to read the first one, or they have such a short attention span they can only retain the last.

How about this one. I emailed a guy selling a car on Craigslist asking him 8 specific questions since I'm looking for a small vehicle to tow behind my motorhome and need to know the specific answers before I consider driving 200 miles. Here is his response: "That's exactly what it is. I just replaced it. Although I would rather buy a new towbar,
I was going to use the tow bar for my new vehicle."

Would anyone like to interpret this for me? IOW what exactly is it? Will he buy another towbar or keep that one? And what about the other questions?
Geez! think I'll pass on this one, hate to bother him with any more questions.

Your too critical. Drive the 200 miles. Bring cash:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Large, tortoise-like individuals who block the egress from the cash registers to the exit door at box stores. They can sense, without looking, when to move left or right, to block you from going around them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom