What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
no wheels i am not allowed to operate machinery currently

but trawling the internet i may have found my next sport

PS i have no natural sense of balance ( everything is creative falling for me .. i just decide which direction i would like to fall in and adapt , to many it looks like walking and running until i build-up some speed )

People who make reservations but don’t honor them.

I have a sometimes gig as a bike guide. There is a summer camp for girls about 30 miles away that brings about thirty of their campers out periodically. They rent bikes and ride out/back for about two hours. Dozens of people every day (hundreds on a Sat or Sun) ride this trail without assistance, but this group requests a guide to help supervise the girls and take care of any potential equipment issues. For religious reasons the guide (and preferably the shop staff) must be female.

My peeve is that this group does not show up when their reservation says they will. A couple of weeks ago, they had a 2 pm Wednesday reservation. It was raining hard and steady, so I checked with the office at 1 pm before leaving for the trailhead sho to make sure the group hadn’t cancelled. No word from the group so I made the drive. Our office called the shop at 2 pm to say that the group hadn’t left camp yet, but were coming (it’s a forty minute drive from the camp to the bike shop). The group showed up at 4 pm, and after twenty minutes of dithering decided to postpone the ride to Friday at noon.

I go up to the shop Friday for a noon ride, they show up at 2:00 pm. No phone call, just showing up two hours late.

Another instance: The camp has reservations for thirty girls at 2 pm July 5th. They show up with sixteen girls at 4 pm on July 4th, expecting a guided ride. They were fortunate that there was an extra person working because of the holiday, otherwise no one would’ve been available to guide them.

Yesterday the camp had reservations for 2 pm. I showed up at 1:30 to set up the bikes. At 2:05 we got a call from the office, the group would be there at 3:30. At 4:00 we got a call from the whitewater rafting center (our sister company) that the campers were there (20 miles away from the bike shop). The same camp has been here at least three times— you think they might know where we are? The bus finally showed up at 4:45. I finished at 7 pm, on a day that should’ve ended at 4:30.

I don’t know if it’s a case of rudeness, entitlement, or cluelessness, but the adults running the outings for this camp really get on my nerves!

People who make reservations but don’t honor them.

I have a sometimes gig as a bike guide. There is a summer camp for girls about 30 miles away that brings about thirty of their campers out periodically. They rent bikes and ride out/back for about two hours. Dozens of people every day (hundreds on a Sat or Sun) ride this trail without assistance, but this group requests a guide to help supervise the girls and take care of any potential equipment issues. For religious reasons the guide (and preferably the shop staff) must be female.

My peeve is that this group does not show up when their reservation says they will. A couple of weeks ago, they had a 2 pm Wednesday reservation. It was raining hard and steady, so I checked with the office at 1 pm before leaving for the trailhead sho to make sure the group hadn’t cancelled. No word from the group so I made the drive. Our office called the shop at 2 pm to say that the group hadn’t left camp yet, but were coming (it’s a forty minute drive from the camp to the bike shop). The group showed up at 4 pm, and after twenty minutes of dithering decided to postpone the ride to Friday at noon.

I go up to the shop Friday for a noon ride, they show up at 2:00 pm. No phone call, just showing up two hours late.

Another instance: The camp has reservations for thirty girls at 2 pm July 5th. They show up with sixteen girls at 4 pm on July 4th, expecting a guided ride. They were fortunate that there was an extra person working because of the holiday, otherwise no one would’ve been available to guide them.

Yesterday the camp had reservations for 2 pm. I showed up at 1:30 to set up the bikes. At 2:05 we got a call from the office, the group would be there at 3:30. At 4:00 we got a call from the whitewater rafting center (our sister company) that the campers were there (20 miles away from the bike shop). The same camp has been here at least three times— you think they might know where we are? The bus finally showed up at 4:45. I finished at 7 pm, on a day that should’ve ended at 4:30.

I don’t know if it’s a case of rudeness, entitlement, or cluelessness, but the adults running the outings for this camp really get on my nerves!

Sounds like you need to charge a late fee for not showing up on time.

Attention grabbing sound effects on commercials. The two that drive me absolutely nuts is 1) the Trip Advisor owls "HOO!!!!!!!" at the beginning and end of the commercial. It's not a owl, it's some female singer that YELLS "HOOOOO!!!!' and 2) Honda's "ding dong" doorbell that they also do at the beginning of the commercial. Just STOP with this...I beg of you!!!

When hotels post a rate for the room, but tack on extras, sometimes mandatory. The "facilities fee", for wifi, fitness, etc, is usually mandatory.

Why isn't it just included in the cost of the room?

Perhaps a reason is to avoid State taxes. In Hawaii, the gov just vetoed a bill that would have subjected the fee to a state hotel tax (transient accommodations tax). But veto was made because language was vague, and could have unintendedly subjected things like spas and restaurants to it.

What happens if you just leave after giving them 20 or 30 minutes to show up? Showing up two hours late and then expecting the reservation to be honored is just rude at the least and I'd call it arrogant.

And danged if I'd guide them anywhere if they did that to me.

What happens if you just leave after giving them 20 or 30 minutes to show up? Showing up two hours late and then expecting the reservation to be honored is just rude at the least and I'd call it arrogant.

And danged if I'd guide them anywhere if they did that to me.

I’m not the boss. My guess is, if I left when they didn’t show up on time, I’d no longer be asked to guide the trips. But that would put me in a bad light for the other trips I like to work (longer bike trips and whitewater trips). I wouldn’t leave the owners hanging, but I may decline to take these “camp” trips next year.

It may be that the owners don’t even know how “high maintenance” this group has become. Customer service is drilled into all of the employees, so all of us in the loop (reservationists, shop keeper, guides) just do what it takes to keep them happy. I’m friends with the owners; next time we are hanging out around a campfire I’ll ask if they realize what’s been happening.

It’s also possible that the reservationists have not communicated to the group that we are going out of our way to accommodate them. Maybe they think that we keep a guide at the shop to go out with anyone who asks at any time?

Attention grabbing sound effects on commercials. The two that drive me absolutely nuts is 1) the Trip Advisor owls "HOO!!!!!!!" at the beginning and end of the commercial. It's not a owl, it's some female singer that YELLS "HOOOOO!!!!' and 2) Honda's "ding dong" doorbell that they also do at the beginning of the commercial. Just STOP with this...I beg of you!!!

Wait! Commercials have sound? I haven’t listened to a commercial sine the mute button was invented. (And give that guy a Nobel Prize for inventing it.) :)

I’m not the boss. My guess is, if I left when they didn’t show up on time, I’d no longer be asked to guide the trips. But that would put me in a bad light for the other trips I like to work (longer bike trips and whitewater trips). I wouldn’t leave the owners hanging, but I may decline to take these “camp” trips next year.

It may be that the owners don’t even know how “high maintenance” this group has become. Customer service is drilled into all of the employees, so all of us in the loop (reservationists, shop keeper, guides) just do what it takes to keep them happy. I’m friends with the owners; next time we are hanging out around a campfire I’ll ask if they realize what’s been happening.

It’s also possible that the reservationists have not communicated to the group that we are going out of our way to accommodate them. Maybe they think that we keep a guide at the shop to go out with anyone who asks at any time?

If the group is going on its own then there should be an extra charge for being late... but if it is joining another group, then too bad... I have never been on an excursion where they waited at the start for people... heck, my wife and daughter went on a canoe trip and I hung around a bit and people showed up late... they were told where they could go to meet the group but had to drive themselves there and back....

Also, if you are paid the hours you sit around then no big deal... if the owner does not pay you then they are not following the law...

My DD was a manager at a local water park and had to deal with the same groups as you do, they rented the whole park for 4 hours, same deal all women staff on duty, lifeguards, concession stands, etc, etc. When they make reservations which are done a year in advance she required 100% payment at time of reservation. Come, don't come, who cares they have paid. Show up late they are still leaving at the same time due to no lighting in park. My DD dreaded those nights.

People that wear T-shirts with words on them but give you dirty looks when you try to read them. I guess they forget what they are wearing.

The group by now must believe you guys don’t care if they are late or reschedule at the last minute. Probably not something that will change.

My peeve today is Best Buy.

I decided to buy a computer monitor and turn my laptop into a desktop. Best Buy has a great 'open box' deal on a highly rated monitor.

This Best Buy location is about an hour from me, but I figure it's worth the drive as the discount is pretty significant. There's no box, but the monitor is well protected under a couple of layers of shrink wrap and bubble wrap.

I ask if it has all the cables and accessories. Absolutely, I'm assured, and so I don't check.

Sure enough, I drive home, unwrap all the layers and -- Surprise! -- no power cable, no video cable, no manual, nothing (except the monitor). :mad:

I can return it to my local Best Buy, but am going to wait till tomorrow to be sure I've cooled off before talking to anyone there.

Last edited:
... going to wait till tomorrow to be sure I've cooled off before talking to anyone there.
I'm happy to be able to report a nice outcome to my frustrating experience with Best Buy.

In thinking about it some more, I started to wonder if perhaps the cables had somehow gotten separated from the monitor. I called the store this morning and talked to a very pleasant young lady who agreed to look around for the cables. She promised to call me back within a half hour.

She called not more than 5 minutes later to say she'd found the cables on a shelf in the back of the store. She said she would have them waiting for me at the customer service desk.

I told her that I'd already driven an hour each way to their store and didn't really think I should have to make another 2-hour round trip because of their mistake. She graciously agreed and said she was going to have the cables shipped to me.

Assuming I get the cables in the next couple of days, I will feel a lot better about Best Buy. :)

So glad to hear about the nice outcome! :)
Thank you!

For me, the best part of this was (finally!) convincing myself to take a deep breath, cool off, and wait till the next day to call.

It looks like I really am starting to mellow. I'm so glad I'm retired!! :D

Similar thing happened to me, Bought a open box tv online. Got it delivered.
TV worked great. Box was missing the feet for the TV. Called support and asked
them to send me the feet. No can't do that. I needed to take it to closest Best Buy store.
Took it to the store and tried to get them to just give the missing pieces. No can't do that.
My only option was a refund and then I bought new one at full price. They put the other one
back in the "open box" system for the next sucker.

Similar thing happened to me, Bought a open box tv online. Got it delivered.
TV worked great. Box was missing the feet for the TV. Called support and asked
them to send me the feet. No can't do that. I needed to take it to closest Best Buy store.
Took it to the store and tried to get them to just give the missing pieces. No can't do that.
My only option was a refund and then I bought new one at full price. They put the other one
back in the "open box" system for the next sucker.
Wow. I would be boiling if they had tried this stunt.

Doctors who write a new prescription for you for 90 days. And then when you have a severe reaction, you obviously can't return them. Why not write for 10 days to give it a test drive, then you can call the office and have the rest sent via mail order?

Doctors who write a new prescription for you for 90 days. And then when you have a severe reaction, you obviously can't return them. Why not write for 10 days to give it a test drive, then you can call the office and have the rest sent via mail order?

Because when it comes to bad reactions most doctors will claim they've never even heard of such a thing.

Because when it comes to bad reactions most doctors will claim they've never even heard of such a thing.
:LOL: Had this happen recently. Doc gave me a medicine for a cough and I asked specifically if it had heart burn as a side effect. "Nope, never heard of that". After I got the prescription filled and had the worst heartburn, I Googled it and heartburn was one of the main side effects.

My pharmacist will do a partial fill when I ask, don't need the doctor for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom