What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't reviewed all 279 pages, so this may be redundant. I hate it when the background music in a movie or TV program obscures the dialog. I admit that my hearing is not what it once was but I don't think that's my problem in most cases. YMMV

Well, let's change the hypothetical a little. Suppose I claim to have been awarded the Medal of Honor for my heroics as an Army Green Beret in Vietnam. Not an assertion that many could judge to be true or false. Now suppose that you are the reporter and you have checked. You find out that: 1) I was never in the Army; 2) I am too young to have been in Vietnam; and 3) there is no record of me among the official list of recipients of the Medal of Honor. You would be quite correct to write that "Gumby falsely claimed to have been awarded the Medal of Honor", and that would be fact, not editorializing. It would also be a service to your readers, who could not be expected to know that fact.

The problem is that the headlines claim way too many 'facts' that are actually opinion...

The headline could read "Gumby claims to have been awarded the Medal of Honor" and in the story say that this is a false claim as you have done your research and lay out the points you mentioned....

Then again it seems most 'news' articles now a day seem to just be them printing off many tweets of people that have the same opinion that the reporter has.... presenting them as fact.... like the number of tweets will make it so...

Automated chats. I was expecting a UPS delivery yesterday and when at 9pm it still stated delivery today by 9pm, I asked the 'chat' where my delivery was. It responded immediately that delivery was by 9pm today!! This morning it shows delivery for today.

The other day after deciding which Brother printer to buy and determining none of the local stores had it in stock, I went on-line to order and set up store delivery for pickup. It requested input of an order number before I could complete the process. I asked 'chat' what an order number was and it immediately responded with 123-456789. I called the local store for assistance, and lo and behold, they had one and only one in stock. We ran right over.

Those ads/clickbait, mostly on social media, that say "How much does it cost to retire?" or the like.

That question cannot be answered unless you have determined something called "expenses". There are always 2 sides to the equation. Many of them make it seem that no matter what your lifestyle, there is some magic number that you need to "retire"...

I have had still working friends ask me "How much did you need to retire?".

Sometimes I say "About $40k. But then again, I live in a van down by the river."

Those ads/clickbait, mostly on social media, that say "How much does it cost to retire?" or the like.

That question cannot be answered unless you have determined something called "expenses". There are always 2 sides to the equation. Many of them make it seem that no matter what your lifestyle, there is some magic number that you need to "retire"...

I have had still working friends ask me "How much did you need to retire?".

Sometimes I say "About $40k. But then again, I live in a van down by the river."

Chris? Is that you?

Equitable, home of the 403(b) cannot find a way to reflect the correct, dated balance of the account.

At 7AM on the 1st, the balance is current to the 27th of previous month. Okay, that includes a weekend, but I didn't know computers have the weekend off!

Equitable, home of the 403(b) cannot find a way to reflect the correct, dated balance of the account.

At 7AM on the 1st, the balance is current to the 27th of previous month. Okay, that includes a weekend, but I didn't know computers have the weekend off!

DW’s 401k admin only puts out quarterly statements. I get it, that should be all one really needs but I like to look at my finances monthly. Can’t imagine it would cost much to produce monthly statements, especially since it’s all online.

DW’s 401k admin only puts out quarterly statements. I get it, that should be all one really needs but I like to look at my finances monthly. Can’t imagine it would cost much to produce monthly statements, especially since it’s all online.
They do let you pull online statements, but it was dated 27th of previous month too.

We get mailed quarterly statements, and they are several weeks late...lol.

When this gets rolled over in a year or so I will not miss the company at all. The month-end number hunt will be a few steps shorter. Will definitely find something else to peeve about.

I ordered coffee that was shipped Priority Mail and the status has been "Shipment Received, Package Acceptance Pending" ever since Nov 30. It's from a roaster only about 50 miles away so I should have received it by Dec 1.

I filed a report with the USPS but it seems my coffee is AWOL. The worst part is: it was part of a one-day sale so now I've missed out on a 25% discount plus a free bag of Christmas Blend. Maybe that's the second worse part; I'm out of coffee!

Maybe that's the second worse part; I'm out of coffee!

Gahh! You have my sympathy.

My peeve is my mom's habit of holding things in her mouth when she needs a free hand. Glasses, keys, grocery list, credit card, just about any small item, she won't just set it down. She's always done this and I guess it bothers me more now with the virus thing going on.

I ordered coffee that was shipped Priority Mail and the status has been "Shipment Received, Package Acceptance Pending" ever since Nov 30. It's from a roaster only about 50 miles away so I should have received it by Dec 1.

I filed a report with the USPS but it seems my coffee is AWOL. The worst part is: it was part of a one-day sale so now I've missed out on a 25% discount plus a free bag of Christmas Blend. Maybe that's the second worse part; I'm out of coffee!

These things happen, but they do seem to happen more at this time of year (no surprise).
When I bought a replacement watch, Apple sent me a box to return the old one, but it got lost in the UPS system. I tried to get UPS to acknowledge what was obvious on their website, but no luck. I tried twice to show Apple what happened, but they said they could do nothing. Eventually, after a few weeks, Apple sent another one which was delivered normally.

Two days ago, after well over a month, UPS delivered the first one. Apparently someone looked behind a shelf in their building, saw it, and put it on the next truck.

You should try to get some of that free coffee that was sent to me a few days ago. It just showed up near the front door. :)

My reliable and dependable peeve continues to be crowding. Traffic. Stores. Libraries. Everything. Lately some good news, though. Libraries not crowded at all. Grocery store sometimes unexpectedly uncrowded. I revel in it, and stay longer than necessary when that happens.

I recently purchased an older townhome in a quaint and quite community in Bonita Springs, Florida.

It has been going great. Lots of people in this area, but my community has been a refuge of peace and quite.

New neighbors moved in about a week ago.
He has been busy hauling truck loads of garage stuff from wherever his previous or other home is. His pickup truck is a Dodge diesel, and he has started it up at 4am a few times now. Not sure why.

He is also a Harley owner. No big deal. He heads off for rides on occasion. Yesterday he decided to warm up the rebellious unit for about 20 minutes, just idling in the parking lot, with the exhaust aiming at my place. Whatever.

Tonight after the big ride, he has his home stereo cranked up very loud all evening. My woman went out to confirm he was the source. Other neighbors were out there checking at the same time. At least he is in a different building from me, but it is loud from over here.

I think I can confirm this guy is oblivious to anyone else around him. It is a bummer. Hopefully he will consider being considerate at some point, but I doubt it. Leonard Skinard going now. Wee!

Thanks for listening to my whine/ pet peeve.

Take care, JP

I understand completely. I actually like hearing stories like this. Not that I enjoy knowing people are having their mellow harshed but because I have suffered from the same "neighborliness" over the years and t seems nobody else finds this kind of thing annoying, offensive or disturbing.

It's one reason I have mostly lived palpably below the standard of living I could otherwise have afforded. These people seem to be everywhere and are the rule not the exception. So I figured I if I'm going to have to put up with substandard neighbors and their noise I might as well pay lower rent/house payments.

I had a GF who had gone to medical school and made outstanding bucks as you can imagine. She confirmed this social phenomenon. At one time in the early 90's she lived in a $500,000 house in a ritzy 'hood in Minneapolis. Number 1 complaint? NOISY NEIGHBORS! And it was no use asking people to please turn it down 'cause they'd just flip you off and turn it up. "S!" I can get that in a ritzless neighborhood and put money in my pocket.

I recently purchased an older townhome in a quaint and quite community in Bonita Springs, Florida.

It has been going great. Lots of people in this area, but my community has been a refuge of peace and quite.

He has been busy hauling truck loads of garage stuff from wherever his previous or other home is. His pickup truck is a Dodge diesel, and he has started it up at 4am a few times now. Not sure why.

He is also a Harley owner. No big deal. He heads off for rides on occasion. Yesterday he decided to warm up the rebellious unit for about 20 minutes, just idling in the parking lot, with the exhaust aiming at my place. Whatever.

Tonight after the big ride, he has his home stereo cranked up very loud all evening. My woman went out to confirm he was the source. Other neighbors were out there checking at the same time. At least he is in a different building from me, but it is loud from over here.

I think I can confirm this guy is oblivious to anyone else around him. It is a bummer. Hopefully he will consider being considerate at some point, but I doubt it. Leonard Skinard going now. Wee!

Take care, JP

Skynyrd eh?

Tell 'em to crank it up!

Give him three steps.

previous or other home is. His pickup truck is a Dodge diesel, and he has started it up at 4am a few times now. Not sure why.

He is also a Harley owner. No big deal. He heads off for rides on occasion. Yesterday he decided to warm up the rebellious unit for about 20 minutes, just idling in the parking lot, with the exhaust aiming at my place.

I've heard tales of people hired to get those around them to sell at bargain prices because the sellers just want gone.

It is weird. Even if you enjoy someone else's music taste, being forced to listen to their music without option tends to take away the pleasure.

Had an apartment neighbor in my youth who worked as a bartender. At about 1:30am every night she would crank up her favorite Bob Segar CD.

As Rasstass suggested, asking for her to turn if down just made matters worse.
We moved out of that place, because of her.

No loud music last night, so hopefully it will not be all of the time. It was Saturday night.

I'm just surprised people operate like this guy. I have a tendency to want to fit into my community, and get along with other people. Lots of different people in the world. Hopefully this situation will work itself out. Maybe some old grandma will tell him to knock it off.

JP
Skynyrd eh?

Tell 'em to crank it up!

Kinda like someone who calls your phone at 2am. Years ago I had a guy who did that every few nights. Finally started calling him at 6am since I figured he'd be sleeping by then. It worked, after a few calls waking him up he realized he had the wrong number!
Same goes for neighbors who partied all night. Just blow your horn the next morning at their house as you're going to work at 6am.

JP.mpls, sorry you have to deal with the noise.This is a reminder of one of the big reasons DW and I hesitate to downsize to a condo. Having more than an acre of land does mean we have to spend time on yard work, but any noise from neighbors is never heard within our house and minimally heard outside. Likewise, our noise is not heard by them.

Take care, JP

There is more then a slight chance this dude is hard of hearing. So no, he won't consider being considerate because he doesn't know how loud he is.
Next time perhaps measure his noise level on your cell phone. Try talking to the guy and see what happens. Otherwise there is power in numbers and perhaps your HOA.

It is weird. Even if you enjoy someone else's music taste, being forced to listen to their music without option tends to take away the pleasure.

Had an apartment neighbor in my youth who worked as a bartender. At about 1:30am every night she would crank up her favorite Bob Segar CD.

As Rasstass suggested, asking for her to turn if down just made matters worse.
We moved out of that place, because of her.

No loud music last night, so hopefully it will not be all of the time. It was Saturday night.

I'm just surprised people operate like this guy. I have a tendency to want to fit into my community, and get along with other people. Lots of different people in the world. Hopefully this situation will work itself out. Maybe some old grandma will tell him to knock it off.

JP

Playing any music at 130 AM in a multi unit building makes you an asshat.

Kinda like someone who calls your phone at 2am. Years ago I had a guy who did that every few nights. Finally started calling him at 6am since I figured he'd be sleeping by then. It worked, after a few calls waking him up he realized he had the wrong number!
Same goes for neighbors who partied all night. Just blow your horn the next morning at their house as you're going to work at 6am.

On the other hand, I fondly recall receiving a 3am wrong number call from a woman that was quite interesting and provocative for about 30 minutes, until she realized that, even in her "under the influence" state, I was not who she thought I was :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom