What's your brush with fame?

I grew up and played often with Tommy Maypother .... "who's he" you ask. Tom Cruise.

Bill Russell, John Havlicek - and a few other '66/67 Boston Celtics. My Dad flew for the guy that owned them at the time and I got to go along occasionally. Would sit on Bill Russell's lap. Also went to Bob Cousy basketball camp and shot a Converse sneakers magazine ad with him (and about a dozen other campers).

On a spring Sunday morning in 1980, on a flight from DFW to LAX, the flight attendant stopped at my row and pointed out that Ken Curtis was sitting two rows ahead of me. She said he had asked to move to where there were two empty seats together so people could go sit and talk with him. Then she looked back and said "There's nobody with him now -- go ahead. He likes to talk to people."

Around 1997, at a BBQ place in Dallas I noticed I was in line behind a giant of a gentleman who was wearing a Red Rocks leather jacket and the guy in front of him had a John Tesh t-shirt. I scanned the dining room and picked out Connie Sellecca waiting for her lunch watching John going through the line. I got her attention and casually pointed at him (I was behind him), then pointed at her and she gave me a smile and a nod. I replied with a thumbs up, then got on with lunch.

Last edited:
On a flight to Washington DC, I once sat next to Kay Bailey Hutchison (US Senator-R from Texas) in the first class section. We talked a bit off and on through-out the flight. Very nice lady and easy to talk to. We were sitting in the middle of the first class section and it seemed clear that everyone there knew who she was. When the plane landed, everyone stayed out of the aisle to let her off of the plane first. As she was leaving she turned and waved to me, so I guess everyone thought I was somebody too since they stayed out of the aisle and let me off the plane next.

I've seen lots of celebrities but only interacted with two. I literally walked right into - or he walked into me - Alec Baldwin in NYC. I was so miffed that I pretended not to know who he was. I sat down on some steps to fix my shoe and he turned around, I think to see if there was any delayed recognition.

I was delivering boxes to a hotel and they were obstructing my view. I was peeking around them and I heard a man yell, "Get the door". "Someone get the door for her". Someone ran around my back and opened the door and when I turned to thank him I could see that it was Gallagher (watermelon smashing comedian). Very polite!

My closest brush was being invited to meet Pauly Shore in his tour bus after a comedy show. I went with my brother to see the show and his bodyguards got between my brother and myself as we were leaving. Once my brother was outside the door they took me aside and told me that Pauly would like to meet me. I think they thought that my brother was my boyfriend. Very creepy and I said no thanks.

Last edited:
On a 6 am flight out of Jackson, MS the night after the state fair, flew with the Coasters, the Platters, and the Drifters. Asked them the most beautiful place they had ever been --Couer d'Alene. Went there 2 years later.

OK, I was going to cease and desist but the thread still lives. So...
Bill Laimbeer
Bum Phillips
John Candy
Julie Christie: we were sitting next to each other having breakfast at a coffee shop (the original Duke's in the Tropicana Motel). Major Tom might know this place. Anyhow, Julie was just chatting away with me (I still wonder whom she thought I was).
Alan Ginsberg.

I think I'm done except for:
Spud Webb and Muggsy Bogues

...and Lisa Leslie and Howie Long and Charles Bronson, who every Sunday used to come into this small market I worked at and buy a pack of cigarettes. Very rugged looking. Always barefoot and in jeans. He kinda' took a liking to me and decided to let me live.

We had dinner with an old friend last fall who invited a friend who invited the writer Elizabeth Berg. So in this case I really did shake the hand that shook the hand, but then I got to shake the hand myself.

Because of my sister-in-law, I met jockey Gary Stevens, who won the Preakness this year. He's also a commentator and actor and very nice. I also met and we had dinner with jockey Mike Smith, who won the Belmont this year. He's a great guy. Both are small, but incredibly muscular. Unfortunately, when we ate dinner with Mike, he could barely have anything to eat, because he was racing the next day. That must be a very hard way to live.

Years ago, when I was still writing books (back in the days when people bought and read them!), I had to go on the Joan Rivers show to promote it. Let's just say that even back then, she was scary to look at close up (had had lots of 'work" done). And not exactly warm.

When I was 16, I was in an elevator at a Miami Beach hotel with members of Canned Heat (anyone remember them?). It was exciting to be in the elevator with them, but the person I would rather have met later that day was Jim Morrison (he was there performing with Canned Heat while in Miami for his obscenity trial).

DH shook hands with Al Gore at one of the VP debates. He also met Bryant Gumbel having breakfast in a Miami hotel.

I grew up alongside I-5 in Washington....Castle Rock. DB Cooper may have landed near me:LOL:. OK.....I'm reaching a bit.....Nobody likely knows who DB Cooper is anyway:facepalm:

Kelso anyone - go Scoties! I was living in New Orleans when Mt St Helens cut loose but my parents where still there. Friend of my Dad had a private plane - we flew around it July after May eruption.

I have bought a DB Cooper baseball cap in Coougar WA in prior decades.

heh heh heh - ;)

Back
Top Bottom