World Cup Football/Soccer 2018

I didn't. At least I predicted correctly that Sweden would advance. [/I]

I am soo happy today! I am originally from Sweden and I'm back home visiting family for the summer. I was so excited I was crying watching the game last night. :dance:
Forza Sverige!

I am soo happy today! I am originally from Sweden and I'm back home visiting family for the summer. I was so excited I was crying watching the game last night. :dance:
Forza Sverige!

Congratulations!

I was really pleased to see Sweden advance too. That game against Germany must have been heartbreaking and the way the players picked themselves up after that defeat and went on to win against an on-form Mexico team was inspiring.

People didn't give Sweden much chance in this World Cup after Zlatan retired but it doesn't seem to have affected them at all.

So, how about a friendly contest. Let's pick our top two finishers in each group. My picks

Group A - Russia, Uruguay
Group B - Spain, Portugal
Group C - France, [-]Peru[/-] Denmark
Group D - Argentina, [-]Nigeria[/-] Croatia
Group E - Brazil, [-]Serbia[/-] Switzerland
Group F - [-]Germany[/-], Mexico, Sweden
Group G - England, Belgium
Group H - Colombia, [-]Poland[/-], Japan
So, 11 of 16. Not impressive. :facepalm:

Let's see if I can do better this round. This time I first talked it over with my 6 year old grandson (yesterday after his weekly game), so watch out :)

Uruguay v Portugal -- Portugal
France v Argentina -- France
Brazil v Mexico -- Brazil
Belgium v Japan -- Belgium

Spain v Russia -- Spain
Croatia v Denmark -- Croatia
Sweden v Switzerland -- Sweden
Colombia v England -- England

We could see Brazil - England in the final, their first World Cup match since the '02 quarterfinal in Japan. :)

So, 11 of 16. Not impressive. :facepalm:

I got 13 out of 16. Horseshoes and hand grenades anyone ... :cool::LOL:

I'll have another go... the price is right....:D

Brazil v Mexico -- Mexico

Spain v Russia -- Spain

Looking forward to that Uruguay/Portugal matchup. Will Portugal and Ronaldo end up taking a dive? Does Uruguay and Suarez have enough bite to advance?

I got 13 out of 16. Horseshoes and hand grenades anyone ... :cool::LOL:

I'll have another go... the price is right....:D

Brazil v Mexico -- Mexico

Spain v Russia -- Spain

I like your Mexico pick. Brazil has remained unconvincing.

We could see Brazil - England in the final, their first World Cup match since the '02 quarterfinal in Japan. :)

Well I would love that !

Here is my assessment of England's chances.

So far they haven't really been tested. I'm discounting the game against Belgium since both sides played their B teams and the match was terrible - more like the England performances I'm used to :( I was particularly disappointed by Rashford's performance. Being a Man Utd fan I watched most of his games last year. Rashford blew hot and cold. In some games he was brilliant - for example against Liverpool - and in others he was awful. I was somewhat hopeful after the recent friendly against Costa Rica where he scored an absolutely stunning goal and otherwise looked really sharp.

He's actually challenging for Raheem Sterling's place. The match against Belgium was his big opportunity to impress. I saw one or two bright spots but not much else. I would not pick him on that form ahead of Sterling. I'm told that Sterling played really well For Man City last year and he did get a hatful of goals. I only saw 5-6 of their games. He has a tendency to get into good positions and then miss open goals. In the Manchester derby last year (that Man Utd won 3-2 after being 2-0 down BTW :)) he missed at least 5 clear chances! - some of which even I could have scored. He seems to have the same problem playing for England and has not scored internationally for a few years. Witness the open goal that he missed against Panama. If Sterling could fix this aspect of his play or if Rashford plays to the form of which he's capable (and he will likely not get picked for the next game - but may come on as a sub) then I think England could go far. Otherwise, I don't see them making it to the semis despite having Kane and Lingard on form at the moment.

Their first opponents, Colombia, are no dummies. They lost their first match against Japan but had a player sent off after a few minutes and still looked the better team. I was impressed by their performance in that game even though they lost. They thrashed Poland 3-0, even though that score may have flattered them, they did deserve to win. They looked a little weak against Senegal for most of the match. The only bright spot from England's point of view, if it can be called that, is that their best player Rodriguez may be injured and may miss or only play part of the match.

If England make it past Colombia, they face Sweden or Switzerland both of whom are on form. Then there is Spain, Russia or Croatia in the semi-final. All well capable of beating England.

Uruguay v Portugal -- Uruguay

Spain v Russia -- Spain
Croatia v Denmark -- Denmark

Interesting link, thanks. The video quality is fantastic.

So far, I think that VAR has proven to be a valuable tool for referees in this WC. With the stakes so high, decisions like awarding goals, penalty decisions, red card decisions and cases of mistaken identity are match critical ones. Implementing VAR for this WC was a controversial decision after a number of less than successful trials in Europe and the Confederations Cup. We've seen occasions in this WC when it appeared there has been some indecision on its use. VAR, like any new process, will require further refining.

Going forward, I would hope that VAR becomes routine technology in professional futbol leagues world wide.

Uruguay v Portugal -- Uruguay

Spain v Russia -- Spain
Croatia v Denmark -- Denmark

2 for 2 so far. Well done on the Uruguay pick! I think your Denmark pick is a much gutsier one than Uruguay. Croatia has been in great form.

Not a fan of either Ronaldo or Suarez but the better team won in my opinion. Cavani is something else too, just like Mbappe.

Might be the last Cup for Ronaldo.

I am really getting tired of all the theatrics that these players are doing... the other day Namar was fouled but then proceeded to do 5 or 6 major rolls... even the announcers made a comment on that one...

Today someone was pushed in the back and he fell down and was rubbing his head and making it look like a head injury.. ref did nothing and the guy stayed down a LONG time..

Another one got the ball stolen from him but thought he was fouled... threw himself to the ground and started to clutch his leg or ankle... ref and the game moved on and the guy saw nobody was going to make a call and quickly jumped up and ran back into the play...

I also saw a few rough tackles that were on purpose to stop a break that did not get a yellow.... come on... these are clear yellows when you are behind and kick at their legs to take them down...

The best player on the field wore #10, and his last name starts with 'M', but it was not Lionel Messi. ;)

For whatever reason(s), during the prime of Messi's career, the powers that be for the Argentina national futbol organization have failed to get more than a single, deep run into the WC with a supporting cast that has included the likes of Di Maria, Aguero and Higuain. This current Argentine side barely made it out of CONMEBOL qualification, relying entirely on Messi heroics in their final match.

Messi will be 35 years-old when the 2022 WC rolls around. This WC may have been his last for arguably the best player to ever step on the pitch.

I am really getting tired of all the theatrics that these players are doing... the other day Namar was fouled but then proceeded to do 5 or 6 major rolls... even the announcers made a comment on that one...

Today someone was pushed in the back and he fell down and was rubbing his head and making it look like a head injury.. ref did nothing and the guy stayed down a LONG time..

Another one got the ball stolen from him but thought he was fouled... threw himself to the ground and started to clutch his leg or ankle... ref and the game moved on and the guy saw nobody was going to make a call and quickly jumped up and ran back into the play...

I also saw a few rough tackles that were on purpose to stop a break that did not get a yellow.... come on... these are clear yellows when you are behind and kick at their legs to take them down...

I hear you. Ramos, the center referee for the Portugal/Uruguay match did not have his best day out there.

After setting the bar with an early caution, he failed to follow that up as the match went on and allowed too many rough tackles, as you mentioned, that should have warranted at minimum a good ass-chewing, or in the case of a couple of others, a caution.

The simulation on Suarez's part was ridiculous (where he grabbed his head in feigned agony). And if in fact Ramos did not stop the match as a result because he was certain there was no foul (and his AR1 who was closest to that play could have summoned Ramos via headset if there was a foul), then Ramos erred by not cautioning Suarez for his actions. If it is not protocol in a case like this particular one for the VAR official to notify the referee of obvious simulation, then that needs to change for the good of the game.

Cavani is something else too, just like Mbappe

+1

That finish by Cavani on his second goal where he opened up his hips and curled a beautiful shot inside the far post was a technical masterpiece.

Last edited:
Photo of Argentina Futbol Team

Just sayin'......

Messi.jpg

That last save by the Russian keeper was amazing. Talk about focus ..

So far in this round, can’t say any of the teams going home got a bad deal or should continue on.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom