World Cup Football/Soccer 2018

Neymar needs to grow out of his chronic case of Peter Pan syndrome as a futbol player. He is 26 years-old now and needs to man-up.

I definitely agree.

It appears that an increasing number of Brazilian fans in Neymar's home country are growing weary of him, as well. I suppose most, if not all of that would be forgiven should Brazil win this WC.

Yes, but there are still more Neymar defenders than detractors in Brazil. Results matter.

yes, his antics are turning me off on brazil.... I have seen some u16 girls on my daughters team get hit harder than he has and usually just cringe a bit and then go back to playing the game....

Neymar.jpg

Heart broken lost :-( Japan played so well.

Agree... after going up 2 nil I was thinking they would be able to hold them off, but Belgium decided to wake up and played much better in the end...

I am really shocked that nobody on Columbia was red carded when that penalty kick was called... they went after the ref and were pushing and shoving... also yellows should have been given for delays on half the team...

This is bad refereeing IMO... I know that on my daughters games if someone ran and grabbed the ref they would be thrown out the game...

BTW, it was clearly a foul so why argue it so much... like they are going to change the call because you whine....

Still watching, so not sure what the final will be...

England desperately trying to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory...

:facepalm:

Among my favorite moments so far are the pile up celebration by English players. When it happened twice to Kane in the Tunisia match, I wondered what would happen if they all got up and found him lifeless, suffocated and totally flat on the ground. :)

Among my favorite moments so far are the pile up celebration by English players. When it happened twice to Kane in the Tunisia match, I wondered what would happen if they all got up and found him lifeless, suffocated and totally flat on the ground. :)

Notice that they ran after and tackled the goalie? He was trying NOT to be the bottom of the stack...

Even in that state he'd still put two penalties past Ospina.

I am really shocked that nobody on Columbia was red carded when that penalty kick was called... they went after the ref and were pushing and shoving... also yellows should have been given for delays on half the team...

This is bad refereeing IMO... I know that on my daughters games if someone ran and grabbed the ref they would be thrown out the game...

BTW, it was clearly a foul so why argue it so much... like they are going to change the call because you whine....

Red-carding someone really alters the dynamics of the game quite significantly - so refs only award them for the most egregious offenses.

I think they argue with the ref to try to influence his NEXT decision. Make the ref second-guess his current decision so that he may be more lenient next time. Doubt it works.

I don't watch Italian soccer which is where Sanchez plays. So I don't know for sure but it's possible that kind of thing is more acceptable in Serie A, in which case I can understand him complaining. At one point he played in England, I can't recall who for, but English football has a reputation for being more physical.

Neymar was acting like his foot was cut off... not sure if a YC should have been given... Neymar was holding the ball even when the guy reached down to get it... it was a Mexico throw in and he wanted to slow down play.... I saw no pressure put on the foot... I think they got it right....

To be fair, if you look really closely you can see it was cut off.

A poor overall performance by referee Mark Geiger. I was hoping he would follow up his strong showing in the Germany/Korea group play contest and take his game up another notch on the big stage today.

Man management on Geiger's part today was awful. He allowed players on both sides to abuse him early and repeatedly. In Geiger's defense, VAR should have alerted him to the fact that Wilmar Barrios was seen headbutting Jordan Henderson in the area. Clearly a red card offense and Barrios should have been sent off. Geiger struggled with managing nearly every free kick set-piece around the penalty areas. His body language and overall countenance was not strong.

Geiger will not be taking the field again in this WC.

Red-carding someone really alters the dynamics of the game quite significantly - so refs only award them for the most egregious offenses.

I think they argue with the ref to try to influence his NEXT decision. Make the ref second-guess his current decision so that he may be more lenient next time. Doubt it works.

I don't watch Italian soccer which is where Sanchez plays. So I don't know for sure but it's possible that kind of thing is more acceptable in Serie A, in which case I can understand him complaining. At one point he played in England, I can't recall who for, but English football has a reputation for being more physical.

I agree, but I cannot think of a single sport here in the US that you are allowed to touch a ref and NOT get thrown out... I have seen it done in football, baseball and basketball.... sure, in these sports you can replace the thrown out player, but if they did it in soccer I would bet very few refs would be touched at all....

Notice that they ran after and tackled the goalie? He was trying NOT to be the bottom of the stack...

I was there once (Ok so it was "murderball" in the school gym not the world cup) and have a fractured wrist and <80% mobility/power in that arm ever since so I totally get his point of view

England team is mediocre at best, they should exit by next round.

According to FIFA's world rankings, England at #12 may in fact be mediocre, but the rest of draw in the same half of the bracket is even more so.

England now faces 24th-ranked Sweden and then either Russia (70th) or Croatia (20th) for a place in the final. At the same time, in the other bracket, Brazil (2nd), Belgium (3rd), France (7th) and Uruguay (14th) will do battle for the other final spot.

England may still find a way to make a mess of what is a gift in the way of a draw going forward to the final. They nearly did yesterday vs Colombia.

Last edited:
According to FIFA's world rankings, England at #12 may in fact be mediocre, but the rest of draw in the same half of the bracket is even more so.

England now faces 24th-ranked Sweden and then either Russia (70th) or Croatia (20th) for a place in the final. At the same time, in the other bracket, Brazil (2nd), Belgium (3rd), France (7th) and Uruguay (14th) will do battle for the other final spot.

England may still find a way to make a mess of what is a gift in the way of a draw going forward to the final. They nearly did yesterday vs Colombia.

This makes sense. England - Sweden looks like a fair match between between two uninspired teams. Russia might just make it to the end - never bet against the home team in a World Cup match.

Well we now know what soccer rankings mean in real life. It seems that their is parity in the sport unlike other sports. How then would you explain number 1 Germany not making out of group play or number 70 Russia beating a top team like Spain or a higher ranked Portugal team losing to Urguay a lower ranked team.

I like Sweden's chances against England.

Well we now know what soccer rankings mean in real life. It seems that their is parity in the sport unlike other sports. How then would you explain number 1 Germany not making out of group play or number 70 Russia beating a top team like Spain or a higher ranked Portugal team losing to Urguay a lower ranked team.

I like Sweden's chances against England.

+1

Sweden is proving themselves a versatile side that has beaten teams in this WC with distinctly different styles of play. The Swedish team also gives every appearance of having the ability to maintain its composure, unlike Colombia and England yesterday, both of whom seemed on the verge of self-immolation at every turn.

When it comes to FIFA rankings, going back to the 2014 WC, Spain was reigning WC champion and one of the odds-on favorites to repeat. And just like Germany in this WC, they never made it out of group play.

Rankings look good on paper. That's why we actually play the game.

+1
Rankings look good on paper. That's why we actually play the game.

In other, more familiar financial terms "Past performance is no guarantee of future results"

:cool::LOL:

Back
Top Bottom