World Cup Football/Soccer 2018

That last save by the Russian keeper was amazing. Talk about focus ..

So far in this round, can’t say any of the teams going home got a bad deal or should continue on.

+1

This match was Spain's to lose and they certainly accommodated the Russian side in that regard.

What I saw was a Russian strategy worked to perfection: since Spain apparently didn't have any star goal scorers who felt confident enough to shoot at will, play excellent defense to a draw and win in the kickoffs. Spain was definitely out-coached.

It was a good result (based on what I have seen of the Russian and Spanish teams).

The guy who scored the own goal in the first half must be relieved as well...:LOL: (probably Mr. Putin will forgive and forget now... :cool:)

It has been a strange World Cup. No really dominant teams. Lots of titans falling by the wayside. And deservedly so based on their play.

Could be the year for a second tier or underdog team.

Spain was definitely out-coached.

Spain's exit in this WC will not go down well back home. Especially in light of their futbol association's decision to fire the head coach on the eve of the tournament.

What I saw was a Russian strategy worked to perfection: since Spain apparently didn't have any star goal scorers who felt confident enough to shoot at will, play excellent defense to a draw and win in the kickoffs. Spain was definitely out-coached.

Russia's strategy worked in this particular match against a Spanish side that has not exactly been impressive. I might be wrong, however, if Russia hopes to advance any further in the tournament they'll need to do more than just bunker 10 men behind the ball, play not to lose, pray to get through 30 minutes of extra time and rely on their keeper to make a couple of saves in penalties. It is a possibility, but I wouldn't bet on it.

You know, I was thinking that also... that Spain was not taking shots... but I saw a stat late in the second overtime... so I just looked... they had 25 shots and 9 were on goal....

I wonder if this is a record... total passes were 1137!!

Yes, this is a big surprise to me... but Spain did not look good in the Group stage and just carried it on to the knockout stage... but they still should have won this game... heck, they were on the easy side...

Now England has got to have their hopes up with this result... looking at the betting site they are now favored to make the finals!!!!

This match was Spain's to lose and they certainly accommodated the Russian side in that regard.
Well said.

Oscar nomination for Yussuf Poulsen, minute 75 Denmark v Croatia, in the category of best dramatic moment. Great camerawork and replay captured all the drama. :)

Last edited:
Oscar nomination for Yussuf Poulsen, minute 75 Denmark v Croatia, in the category of best dramatic moment. :)

+1

Nestor Pitana, the Argentine referee, handled the situation perfectly.

Wow some incredible net-minding in the Croatia-Denmark extra time and penalties.

Denmark v Croatia

What a great match! I'm disappointed that one of these sides had to be knocked out. Both are worthy of a WC quarterfinal.

I really enjoyed watching this one!

Wow some incredible net-minding in the Croatia-Denmark extra time and penalties.

+1

I'm trying to recall if there has been another WC knockout match in recent history with such great goal keeping in saving kicks from the mark.

Croatia was not as dominant in this match as in group play but I was glad that Modric's penalty kick miss did not cost them the match.

Great goalkeeping today by both goalies unlike the play of De Gea who supposedly was the best in the world but was pedestrian in this tournament

Great match this morning - this is the caliber of play we've been hoping for. Mexico should return home with their heads held high.

Fox announcers are pretty bad IMO. Way too much speculation / projection. As an aside and advice to others, don't chop onions with 5 minutes to go in a World Cup match.

Hello Brazil. Nice of you to finally join the tournament. :rolleyes:

Osorio deserves credit for committing players forward vs Brazil. The first 22 minutes or so of the first half, Mexico were taking the play to Brazil and creating scoring chances. Eventually though, Brazil's quality came through.

Carlos Vela had an excellent tournament for Mexico. Willian a strong performance in this match for Brazil.

Definite YC deserved, but not given, for the Mexico player stepping on Neymar in the 2nd half. At the same time, it was not an Oscar winning performance by Neymar for his attempted portrayal of taking an assassin's bullet after being stepped on.

Osorio deserves credit for committing players forward vs Brazil. The first 22 minutes or so of the first half, Mexico were taking the play to Brazil and creating scoring chances. Eventually though, Brazil's quality came through.

Carlos Vela had an excellent tournament for Mexico. Willian a strong performance in this match for Brazil.

Definite YC deserved, but not given, for the Mexico player stepping on Neymar in the 2nd half. At the same time, it was not an Oscar winning performance by Neymar for his attempted portrayal of taking an assassin's bullet after being stepped on.

Mexico played well but Brazil's talent took over in the second half. Mexico's goalkeeper played great or the score could have been much worse.

+1 on Willian. I thought he played pretty bad in the first 3 matches but he was excellent today.

Fox announcers are pretty bad IMO. Way too much speculation / projection.

+1

I prefer Telemundo's coverage. And with the exception of Ian Darke, no one calls a goal better than Andrés Cantor!

Mexico's goalkeeper played great or the score could have been much worse.

+1

Thanks for mentioning Ochoa's performance today. He was great for Mexico in the last WC.

And if the Mexico's national futbol association is foolish enough to let Osorio go after this WC, US Soccer should put his name at the top of the list for candidates to skipper the USMNT.

The acting by Brazil was some or the worst.... around the 77th minute I saw a player in the box act like he had been hit in the head on the ground... ref did nothing and after the player made a quick look at the ref and knowing nothing was going to happen jumped up and quickly ran over to try and steal the ball....

Neymar was acting like his foot was cut off... not sure if a YC should have been given... Neymar was holding the ball even when the guy reached down to get it... it was a Mexico throw in and he wanted to slow down play.... I saw no pressure put on the foot... I think they got it right....

Neymar was acting like his foot was cut off... not sure if a YC should have been given... Neymar was holding the ball even when the guy reached down to get it... it was a Mexico throw in and he wanted to slow down play.... I saw no pressure put on the foot... I think they got it right....
His acting might get him into a Hollywood low budget horror film, but that's about it, and even then he's not that good an actor. I bet if that happened to any other player, a yellow card would have followed. His reputation (B actor, not A player) is just too much out there, and now his opponents get the benefit of the doubt.

I prefer Telemundo's coverage. And with the exception of Ian Darke, no one calls a goal better than Andrés Cantor!
I've done this is past WCs but for some reason cannot get Telemundo on DirecTV Now, even though it's part of the package we have subscribed.

Neymar was acting like his foot was cut off... Neymar was holding the ball even when the guy reached down to get it... it was a Mexico throw in and he wanted to slow down play.... I saw no pressure put on the foot... I think they got it right....

Neymar needs to grow out of his chronic case of Peter Pan syndrome as a futbol player. He is 26 years-old now and needs to man-up. His behavior in this WC has been despicable, with the worst of it on display in the Costa Rica match. Today was not much better. If not for the fact that Neymar was sitting on a previous YC and risked suspension if shown another today, I'm sure we would have been treated to the *full Neymar* of cynical behavior.

Unfortunately, Neymar has too many enablers in the form of teammates and others in the sport who attempt to excuse his antics by casting him as an aggrieved victim. It appears that an increasing number of Brazilian fans in Neymar's home country are growing weary of him, as well. I suppose most, if not all of that would be forgiven should Brazil win this WC.

I admire the Brazilian side. Players like Coutinho, Willian and others show what most of the futbol world considers the best of the Brazilian game. If only Neymar would grow up as a player....

Neymar needs to grow out of his chronic case of Peter Pan syndrome as a futbol player. He is 26 years-old now and needs to man-up. His behavior in this WC has been despicable, with the worst of it on display in the Costa Rica match. Today was not much better. If not for the fact that Neymar was sitting on a previous YC and risked suspension if shown another today, I'm sure we would have been treated to the *full Neymar* of cynical behavior.

Unfortunately, Neymar has too many enablers in the form of teammates and others in the sport who attempt to excuse his antics by casting him as an aggrieved victim. It appears that an increasing number of Brazilian fans in Neymar's home country are growing weary of him, as well. I suppose most, if not all of that would be forgiven should Brazil win this WC.

I admire the Brazilian side. Players like Coutinho, Willian and others show what most of the futbol world considers the best of the Brazilian game. If only Neymar would grow up as a player....

Yes, his antics are turning me off on Brazil.... I have seen some U16 girls on my daughters team get hit harder than he has and usually just cringe a bit and then go back to playing the game....

But they SHOULD yellow card him and make him miss a game... I bet he would stop that behavior quickly if he kept getting yellows... and even two in a game to get a red!!!

He is not the only one though... I wish there were other remedies they could use to stop this, but it would not work in a WC match... but in league play give them a fine... and you can use replay to asses the fine later...

The Great Escape....

Japan played a great game but Belgium survived. They have to play better to beat Brazil.

Back
Top Bottom