Your Latest Bucket List Item Completed!

The two big items on my bucket list that I completed were taking a day trip on the county's oldest running wood fired steam locomotive in the Colorado Rocky Mountains. Here is a video of the trip (recorded by someone else)
https://youtu.be/5MnDBhzMc7Q

Second item: Earlier this year I took a flight in one of the two flyable WW2 B-29 bombers. Sat up front where all the action was. Here are 3 phone videos I took (sorry about my lack of video skills). This is by far the neatest thing I have ever done! Fifi is the bomber's name if you wish to look her up. The Commemorative Air Force takes the plane on tour periodically.

https://youtu.be/DCBzoVAfs_Y
https://youtu.be/ZIt4AVueR1s
https://youtu.be/Ss--t-3icgI

My remaining big ticket item is to get a sport pilot's license. I am trying to convince DW this is a sane thing to do to keep me busy in retirement.

Nate

My bucket seems to have a hole in it because things keep appearing at its bottom. Nowadays I don't let desired experiences sit around for long.

In September we did a month in Italy going to places we had been and some new towns/cities too. We had been to Venice in 1972 and this time we had more knowledge and money to enjoy it even more. Got a small apartment and had a great time exploring it even with all the tourists. Varenna in the Lake District was beautiful and a welcome respite from air travel. Took a nice hike in the alps area out of Castelrotto. Rome is always interesting for Roman history and Ostia Antica was kind of haunting. Lots of variety and exploration.

I never have an official bucket list, because if I should fail to achieve it, would it mean I would be kicking myself on my deathbed, that my life was incomplete? Why is something so important that I must have it? No, it's just a matter of priority, and convenience that I chose to do something over something else.

I wanted to build my own solar array and battery storage. And I did (still can use a lot of refinements).

I do have places and things in mind that I like to do. I did make a long-range RV trip to the Canadian Maritimes. And another long RV trip to Alaska, which turned out to be a bit exciting at times due to mechanical problems in remote locations. I visited small villages and drove country roads in Europe. These are the things I wanted to do. And I just barely scratched the surface, and could do again.

So many things one can do. Not enough time to do it all. If not one thing, I can do something else. What I have done is finite. What I have not is infinite. Just do something different is good enough.

I wanted to build my own solar array and battery storage. And I did (still can use a lot of refinements).
I've often thought about doing this but always backed-off over concerns of ROI and on going maintenance.

Have you or will you break even and/or make a profit?

Being a hobby, this project was not expected to be profitable, although it has to produce some decent power else would be an outright failure.

It looks like it is going to take at least 10 years for payback. And that is with free labor, parts shopped carefully for low prices, no serious maintenance, and opportunity costs not considered.

What hurts is that at this point with all the electronics and batteries there, some more solar panels will have excellent return, but I am running out of space to mount them.

In other words, my charge controllers, inverters, and batteries are oversized compared to the existing solar array. The payback period will be shorter, if I can mount more panels.

Last edited:
That's somewhat what I expected. Still, if I can come close to breaking even I may give it a shot for the fun of it... Two thing's I have plenty of here in Texas, sunlight (usually) and space (always).

Just put PV system in, but didn't do myself. 10 years payback but I think it would help the property sell, and will provide some power during the frequent power outages.

My last bucket list item checked off was getting to play in Willie Nelson's poker game.

Being a hobby, this project was not expected to be profitable, although it has to produce some decent power else would be an outright failure.

It looks like it is going to take at least 10 years for payback. And that is with free labor, parts shopped carefully for low prices, no serious maintenance, and opportunity costs not considered.

What hurts is that at this point with all the electronics and batteries there, some more solar panels will have excellent return, but I am running out of space to mount them.

In other words, my charge controllers, inverters, and batteries are oversized compared to the existing solar array. The payback period will be shorter, if I can mount more panels.

We burn 6 - 8,000 kWh a year...doubt we are in the home more than another 19 years. Our sun solar score is very low like 9/100 the house roof has quite a few peaks and valleys and is covered by trees. One solar guy didn't even bother coming to visit for a looksie to see if he could sell me something.

I am still wondering... could I save /store 8,000 kWh a year with some sort of solar system? I live in the north where solstice effects us greatly. We have a lot of cloudy days. I pay about $1000/yr in electricity charges. So if the system costs more than 19k, it doesnt seem feasible.

I just returned from diving San Diego (HMS Yukon and the Ruby E), and the Acanapa Islands. First 10 dives there, for me!

DH had five states he needed to ride in the lower 48. He accomplished his goal in August. Here's a pic of him 'getting his last state'.....
That’s outstanding, congrats!

Attending The Masters is on my bucket list. Anybody got an in?
+1. I went in 1989 with a Megacorp connection (just be valuable to sales/marketing or C-level). I’ve applied every year since 2011 with no luck. Applied for the ANWA tickets this year, thinking that would be easier, no luck there either. I’m close enough to drive down and look for a scalper now... Anybody got an in?

My remaining big ticket item is to get a sport pilot's license. I am trying to convince DW this is a sane thing to do to keep me busy in retirement.

Nate

Do it!

I, and everyone else who has ever flown an airplane, can assure you that the solo flight is one of those experiences that you will never, ever, forget.

The checkride for the license is a bit anticlimactic, at least it was for me.

Do it!

I, and everyone else who has ever flown an airplane, can assure you that the solo flight is one of those experiences that you will never, ever, forget.

The checkride for the license is a bit anticlimactic, at least it was for me.
I concur. As a member of the United Flying Octogenarians, it was one of the best things i ever did.

Thank you Walt34 and Souschef for your supporting comments. Looks like I have a goal to work towards.

So, we're lounging around the house on Jan 1 and DW is watching the Tournament of Roses Parade and casually mentions that it would be neat to see it someday. Has anyone out there done that? I would have an interest in that and the Rose Bowl too.

So, we're lounging around the house on Jan 1 and DW is watching the Tournament of Roses Parade and casually mentions that it would be neat to see it someday. Has anyone out there done that? I would have an interest in that and the Rose Bowl too.

Yes, and I lived near there, too (1980s). Like crowds? It's fun and the game is worth going to.

I'm not big on crowds but can tolerate them.. especially for one day. I guess that I would want to do it with a grandstand-type seat for the parade rather than just standing. And while I know it would be expensive, perhaps a hotel within a reasonable walking distance of the parade and the football game.

Bought a Les Paul.
Congrats. That's really cool. If I'd ever gotten good enough to spend the money, a Les Paul would have been at the top of my (electric) list.

Done the parade many times.
As a child my parents always knew people living on or near the route, so we went to their house and watched.
In high school, many of us went the night before spending the night on Colorado Blvd to party all night long. My parents thought it was wonderful we all wanted to go the night before just to get a spot on the curb to see the parade in the morning, but of course after staying up all night drinking garbage (Sloe Gin comes to mind) who could stay awake to watch the parade.
The Rose Parade is remarkable, nothings compares to the floats in it. It's also nice to view the floats up close before or after the parade.

Back
Top Bottom