Your Latest Bucket List Item Completed!

Thank you Souschef for sharing your trips. The information will be great to have.

Was the Regency cruise in 2007 good for a first cruise to Alaska?

I haven't been aboard the Regent Mariner, but after sailing on the Paul Gaugin when it was part of RSSC, a Mariner cruise is on my bucket list! I hope to achieve Commodore status one day! :dance:

Drove coast to coast. Not all in one trip, but we finally completed the Utah to LA portion a few weeks ago. If you really want to understand how big, how different this country is from east to west, drive it.

This is something we are looking at doing in 2020. DW wants to see the giant redwoods, so we are thinking of flying out to California for a few days of sightseeing, then slowly driving back to the east coast and stopping at places of interest along the way.

This is something we are looking at doing in 2020. DW wants to see the giant redwoods, so we are thinking of flying out to California for a few days of sightseeing, then slowly driving back to the east coast and stopping at places of interest along the way.

I highly recommend it. Stop at local cafes, get off the interstate, drive the old main streets. Talk to the locals. We live in a great country, very different though, place to place.

Gorillas in our Midst

Trekked in Sept to see mountain gorillas in Rwanda’s Virunga Mountains/Volcanoes National Park. Soooo worth it!

Attachments

• 83656CD5-25DF-4E76-AF16-75397CBFA980.jpg
    83656CD5-25DF-4E76-AF16-75397CBFA980.jpg
    844.2 KB · Views: 39
Although, I would like to restore at least one more classic car, but times running out on that too. :blush:

I just have the interior left on ol blue - when that's done I may want to do a ranchero or el camino

Attachments

• ol blue (2).jpg
    ol blue (2).jpg
    565.9 KB · Views: 36
This is something we are looking at doing in 2020. DW wants to see the giant redwoods, so we are thinking of flying out to California for a few days of sightseeing, then slowly driving back to the east coast and stopping at places of interest along the way
I highly recommend it. Stop at local cafes, get off the interstate, drive the old main streets. Talk to the locals. We live in a great country, very different though, place to place.
+2. We spent 4 days in San Francisco, most of 1 day at Muir Woods, to see the giant redwoods - incredible. And we spent another 4 days in Napa, 3 days bike touring winery to winery. Ate at Chez Panisse and The French Laundry while there. That’s when we did hot air ballooning too, highly recommend it. Just some ideas...

I just have the interior left on ol blue - when that's done I may want to do a ranchero or el camino
I saw a 66 El Camino just a few weeks ago. It looked to be in pretty good shape but wow, it sure looked different from what I remember... Back then it was one of my favorites....

Seems I recall beginning in the mid 60's, the El Camino shared a lot of the same parts with the Chevelle models of those years. If that's so parts should still be available.

We have been retired for 18 years and have done most of our bucket list (Alaska in our motorhome, Galapagas, spent the night in all 50 U.S. States and all Canandian Provinces, kayaked Milford Sound, NZ, hiked chunks of the Appalachian trail, boated chunks of the Intercoastal Waterway, bareboat chartered in the Virgin Isles, played golf at St Andrews and many other Scottish courses, hiked Uluru, Austrailia, snorkeled the Great Barrier Reef, hot air ballooned, hang gliding, white water rafting on the New River ). Some remaining bucket list items:

See the North Lights

Visit all the U.S. National Parks (we have visited about half of them)

Add more birds to our life list--we are at about 800--would like to get to 1000

That will be an excellent trip. Look into taking parts of Rte 66 - the old rte 66 wherever possible. Lots of unique sights along that route. We are missing East LA to Victorville, Ca from a complete cross country (LA- Portland Me). But East LA - Victorville is not somewhere that I want to go.

Drove coast to coast. Not all in one trip, but we finally completed the Utah to LA portion a few weeks ago. If you really want to understand how big, how different this country is from east to west, drive it.

DW (the DGF) and I did a cross country trip in May 1980 at age 25. I took a month off from work and she had just finished her assignment with VISTA and was to start grad school in the fall at BU.

Vermont to NJ (to pick her up)... Chicago.... Omaha, NE... Boulder, CO... Salt Lake City... Tahoe... Yosemite.... San Francisco... LA... San Diego... Grand Canyon... Charlotte, NC... then back to NJ and then Vermont. (plus probably some other spots that I don't remember).

Stayed one or two nights in each place and some other places along the way... mostly with friends or relatives... some camping in a pup tent... only two hotel nights as I recall in both cases because it was raining.

Some interesting things of note: flat tire in the rain outside of Salt Lake City and of course the spare was under all of our stuff, staying in a pup tent in a campground just across the bridge from San Francisco, attending the opening weekend of The Empire Strikes Back in LA, camping in a pup tent next to a recently retired couple just outside Yosemite - they invited us in to their beautiful Airstream trailer for coffee, hiking in the Grand Canyon, driving all day and night from the Grand Canyon and checking into a hotel at 8am near Oklahoma City because of a tornado 10 miles ahead of us and another 10 miles behind us...etc.

Maybe we should do that again.

We did cave tubing in Belize from DW's bucket list. Stayed in the rain forest for a week doing various adventure activities, including rappelling and jumping off (small) cave waterfalls. I can recommend it for the more active types. We did it this year because we had credits expiring on Southwest Airlines and that was one of the more exotic places they went.

I don’t know about the rest of you, but I’m enjoying reading about all the cool experiences and possessions people have had. I’ve [-]stolen[/-] added a couple of y’all’s to my list.

These highlights of life items make life more interesting to me. I started my list long before I’d heard the term “bucket list.” I hope I always have bucket list items to look forward to, I’ve racked up 97 so far...

Last edited:
Apple pie and baseball

Last year I checked off two things I always wanted to do. Baked an apple pie colmpletely from scratch. Was wonderful, but really why not just buy one? The second bucket list item was learning to score a baseball game. Really enjoyed this in person as well as following my favorite baseball team on TV. Go Hoos! Enjoyed reading your adventures!

This year went hot air ballooning for the first time (in Sedona AZ), and visited the Jurassic Coast of England plus Glacier and Acadia National Parks.

Wow!! I've always wanted to go hot-air ballooning, and this shows me that AZ is the place to do it!

Fantastic photos.

We went to Peru to see Machu Picchu and also visited the Amazon Rainforest in OCT-NOV, 2019. The high altitude in Cusco, Peru slowed us down but I'm glad we planned a 3 day stay to acclimatize our body before traveling to Machu Picchu. Here are some photos from the trip

Attachments

• IMG_20191028_161227462_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20191028_161227462_HDR.jpg
    577.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20191030_111054697_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20191030_111054697_HDR.jpg
    998.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20191031_110529267_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20191031_110529267_HDR.jpg
    834.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20191102_093924974_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20191102_093924974_HDR.jpg
    445.1 KB · Views: 19
I had always wanted to see the Grand Prismatic Spring in Yellowstone. We did in October, on the perfect day and it was worth the wait. Just fabulous.

A few days later, we also took a helicopter ride over the Grand Canyon. I don't like heights but I really wanted to do it, and would do it again in a minute. Wonderful experience.

Hmm, last year we took a 3-week motorbike (well, scooter, really) roadtrip around the north of Vietnam, from the thousands of karst islands in Ha Long Bay to the rice terraces of Ha Giang.

This year didn't really have anything "bucket listy", though we enjoyed our trip to Taiwan.

Last year I checked off two things I always wanted to do. Baked an apple pie colmpletely from scratch. Was wonderful, but really why not just buy one? The second bucket list item was learning to score a baseball game. Really enjoyed this in person as well as following my favorite baseball team on TV. Go Hoos! Enjoyed reading your adventures!

I had the same feeling about making a batch of homebrewed beer. It came out pretty good, but there are so many good craft beers out there!

Nice going on the baseball scoring! I loved keeping a scorecard when I was a kid, so one thing I'm considering for my retirement bucket list (still about 5 years off, probably) is attending a game in every major league park. It would be a nice way to see more of the US, I think.

Last edited:
>>We spent 4 days in San Francisco, most of 1 day at Muir Woods, to see the giant redwoods - incredible. And we spent another 4 days in Napa, 3 days bike touring winery to winery. Ate at Chez Panisse and The French Laundry while there. That’s when we did hot air ballooning too, highly recommend it. >>

If you ever return, there are other, more interesting places to see, activities to do, and honestly? Some better restaurants, for less $$$ - small, intimate, haut cuisine cooking from owner/chefs who are passionate about what they serve.

FYI: Muir Woods is so insanely popular, it is now open by reservation only: https://www.nps.gov/goga/learn/news/muir-woods-reservations.htm

Armstrong Reserve or Portola Park are quieter, larger, and a better experience overall:

(sorry for the annoying pop-up ads our local paper throws onto screens!)
https://m.sfgate.com/outdoors/article/8-places-to-see-redwoods-near-San-Francisco-that-12496300.php

Last edited:
We visited SF many times over the past 40 years, but only visited Muir Woods in a recent visit only a few years ago. It did not require reservation then. Its popularity is no doubt due to the accessibility from SF, but giant redwood forests are all over the West Coast, in fact all the way up to Vancouver Island. Too many to visit them all!

I like the giant Sequoia trees in Kings Canyon, and have visited a few times over the years. In the most recent one, was able to secure a slot for my RV without a reservation due to being off-season.

DH had five states he needed to ride in the lower 48. He accomplished his goal in August. Here's a pic of him 'getting his last state'.....

Attachments

• DSC00825.jpg
    DSC00825.jpg
    365.2 KB · Views: 34
Back
Top Bottom