Your Latest Bucket List Item Completed!

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
We have a 'pet peeve of the day' thread and someone just started a 'happiest moment today' thread too - a welcome positive addition IMO.

I've completed two long standing bucket list items in the past few weeks, why not a thread on that too as a companion to the happiest moment thread? Share your most exciting experiences to inspire others! For example:

I've wanted to see glassblowing in person up close for decades, and finally made it happen a few weeks ago. DW and I signed up for a Make-Your-Own class (even better than watching someone else?) - I made my new favorite rocks/Old Fashioned glass, and DW made a scallop bowl (pic below is a likeness). As excited as we were going in, it far exceeded our expectations - we were blown away. So much so that we've been back several times for demos and bought several pieces they've made. https://www.hotglassalley.com/

I've wanted to see falcons in person up close for decades, finally made it happen last week. DW and I spent two hours with a Falconry Experience where we saw a Peregrine Falcon and a Barn Owl so close we could touch them and then we handled and flew two Harris' Hawks (5 times for her and I, 10 total), closely supervised of course. The sensation as they approach for their 'reward' is hard to explain, it's intense. As excited as we were going in, it far exceeded our expectations - we were blown away. We will go back for the experience periodically, there's nothing quite like it - incredible creatures. https://curtiswrightoutfitters.com/falconry/

If you're at all interested, I'd encourage you to find out where you can do the same and do it - we'd highly recommend it.

It was years ago, but same goes for a hot air balloon ride. We did that in Napa and we were blown away by that experience too.

Sorry for the sideways pics.

Attachments

• teal-scallop.jpg
    teal-scallop.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_3106.jpg
    IMG_3106.jpg
    529.3 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_3103.jpg
    IMG_3103.jpg
    483.8 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
We were successful in getting my DD married off last month in a wedding that we basically planned, and executed from alot of hard work, and stress.

She and the SIL are very happy, and stable, both with good jobs, and health, so I view this as an accomplishment/win for my DW and I.

Earlier in July, my son graduated from UNOH with a degree in diesel Tech, and multiple ASE certifications.

Mine is complete. :) Seriously.... My first ~decade of retirement has "almost" been tiring. I retired early in part due to my recognition that life is short and that I might not be able to do the things I want in 10 or 20 years. So my burn rate (physically and monetarily) has been very high compared to what most people might consider normal, IMO.

I've spent well over a million USD, just on travel, hobbies, and/or discretionary things since retiring. On a go forward basis (next ~decade) I'll probably rinse and repeat some of my most enjoyable "bucket list" items, albeit at much slower rates. I may even think of a few new ones. :)

Last edited:
Last month I was able to go to Kiev and take a tour of Chernobyl and Pripyat. I've always been drawn to abandoned and remote places, and have been to many. But this has always been at the very top of my travel bucket list. I'm so happy I got to do it.

Beautiful Harris’s Hawks! They are native down here and we see them perched all the time. Sometimes in groups of two or three.

We don’t have a bucket list per se, but I still have places to visit!

Last edited:
Last month I was able to go to Kiev and take a tour of Chernobyl and Pripyat. I've always been drawn to abandoned and remote places, and have been to many. But this has always been at the very top of my travel bucket list. I'm so happy I got to do it.
Oddly enough, this is in my bucket as well.

In March, I am planning to fly over the Arizona Memorial, Pearl Harbor, Waikiki, our cruise ship and Diamond Head in a WW2 SNJ aircraft.
It will be my swan song as far as flying goes, as I will not be flying after that.

To Midpac:
Glad you enjoyed the falconry experience. It was on our bucket list also, and we did it on the Isle of Wight

Attachments

• IMG_6172.jpg
    IMG_6172.jpg
    463.6 KB · Views: 60
This Summer we took a helicopter ride through the Grand Canyon. It was breathtaking and ticked 2 items off the bucket list simultaneously. Since my husband’s unexpected near fatal heart attack last year, I’m making a concerted effort to live life to the fullest.

Now that I am retired, I have no bucket list that I can think of. If I want to do something, I do it. If I haven't done it, then I guess I didn't really want to do it very much, now did I?

I tell you, it's TOUGH being completely, genuinely content and happy in retirement. :D

Oh.... wait.... I was wrong. :blush: There is one thing on my bucket list, I guess. There is a new Animal Crossing video game coming out that is to be released on March 20th, 2020, called Animal Crossing, New Horizons. I have played the previous game in this series (Animal Crossing, New Leaf) for over 3,830 hours so far since its 2013 release, and have had such fun playing it. I really, really, really want to play this new Animal Crossing game (New Horizons) so I pre-ordered it last June 13th. It will arrive on my doorstep on its release day, and I plan to have a ball playing it. So maybe you could say that is on my bucket list, but there is no way that I can get it any earlier than March 20th.

I don't have much of a bucket list either. Some travel here and there but nothing that would impress the ones that travel the globe. Just some road trips in the States.

I did a lot of my bucket list items over the years while working. Since ER I can think of two: a trip to the Galapagos early on, and a raft trip through the Grand Canyon coming up in May. I hope to have some good rafting photos to come if this thread is still chugging along. Here are a bunch from the Galapagos.

Attachments

• AA608D27-6A45-4836-A923-E97F4B12B7B1.jpeg
    AA608D27-6A45-4836-A923-E97F4B12B7B1.jpeg
    99.9 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
I don't have much of a bucket list either. Some travel here and there but nothing that would impress the ones that travel the globe. Just some road trips in the States.

That's about where we are these days, especially now that DW is 100% on oxygen, has severe osteoporosis, and it's difficult for her to do much more than walk across a room.

Although, I would like to restore at least one more classic car, but times running out on that too. :blush:

Last edited:

Same here. Nothing that I absolutely have to experience or buy before I die.

I want to visit the battlefields in Normandy which I might do in 2020 that’s about the only thing I can think of for a bucket list. Everything else I kind of do or purchase when the opportunity arises but I must admit the desire for long flights is not there. Nothing on the must purchase list.

Although, I would like to restore at least one more classic car, but times running out on that too. :blush:
Wow, I can really relate to that. I'm so glad I did my car restorations over my younger years. I got out of the business (hobby) in just the past few years. I've sold them all. Now I limit my activity with cars to changing the oil and driving the latest and greatest (From my POV :)). But I still have the all the "mechanical" tools (and knowledge) just in case I want to do another. If I do, it will be one at a time and no big rush!

Caboose

I live in a Mobile Home Park. I just found out my next door neighbor will be selling their single wide home. DW and I are thinking about buying it and moving off the property. That way we will have a nice area next to our home.
I had a great idea, about buying a caboose and putting on the property. We could screen it from the street with Italian Cypresses, and it would be my ultimate man cave:DI guess I could post it under the Blow that Dough thread too

Last edited:
I have checked off a few in 3 years, but a trip to Alaska next summer is something I have always wanted to do. My brother has agreed to join me for
part cruise and part train adventure in Alaska over July 4th.

I have checked off a few in 3 years, but a trip to Alaska next summer is something I have always wanted to do. My brother has agreed to join me for
part cruise and part train adventure in Alaska over July 4th.

I ahve attached 3 stories about oiur Alaska trips. Two are cruises, and one was a land tour. We know you will enjoy your Alaska tours

Attachments

• ALASKA APRIL 2019.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 26
  • ALASKA EXPLORER 2011.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 9
  • North to Alaska June 2007.pdf
    762.6 KB · Views: 12
We have been to Europe 4 times but our month long trip in August will take us to places we have not been. If I never go again I will be fine.

I ahve attached 3 stories about oiur Alaska trips. Two are cruises, and one was a land tour. We know you will enjoy your Alaska tours

Thank you Souschef for sharing your trips. The information will be great to have.

Was the Regency cruise in 2007 good for a first cruise to Alaska?

don't really have a formal bucket list, per se. but my last major accomplishment was earning my Sport Pilot certificate in 2012 after a 30-yr break in lessons. i started training in 1982 but just before i was going to solo my wife injured herself on a ski trip and was off work for several months. flash forward to 2011. my buddies and i were at a mini air show and i saw a "learn to fly here" sign. took a few discovery flights in different types of Light Sport aircraft, took and passed ground school and started lessons shortly thereafter.

i was surprised how quickly some of the 30-yr old skills came back to me...radio skills, take off, etc. unfortunately, taxiing in a straight line and landing weren't two of them. i was flying two or three days a week and making good overall progress...some setbacks but overall forward progress. the day i soloed was one of the proudest days of my life. my wife was there to see and share with me. the day i passed my check ride was the next proudest day in my life.

Drove coast to coast. Not all in one trip, but we finally completed the Utah to LA portion a few weeks ago. If you really want to understand how big, how different this country is from east to west, drive it.

This year went hot air ballooning for the first time (in Sedona AZ), and visited the Jurassic Coast of England plus Glacier and Acadia National Parks.

Attachments

• IMG_5472fb.jpg
    IMG_5472fb.jpg
    820.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_4014fb.jpg
    IMG_4014fb.jpg
    629.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_5135fb.jpg
    IMG_5135fb.jpg
    1,010.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_5609fb.jpg
    IMG_5609fb.jpg