2020 Investment Performance Thread

I am going to break things out a bit, just to show that market timing does work. :)

My IRA #1: Up 27% YTD
My IRA #2: Up 16% YTD
My Roth: Up 43% YTD
Taxable: Up 16.5% YTD

Wife's 401K, 100% SPY and Vanguard total stock market, down 10.75%+ YTD

Market timing works!*

*results may vary

I am going to break things out a bit, just to show that market timing does work. :)

My IRA #1: Up 27% YTD
My IRA #2: Up 16% YTD
My Roth: Up 43% YTD
Taxable: Up 16.5% YTD

Wife's 401K, 100% SPY and Vanguard total stock market, down 10.75%+ YTD

Market timing works!*

*results may vary

Break it out even more...what's in your Roth and how did you manage 43%? :D

-5.44 YTD not as bad as I thought it would be. I'm in the ball park of 80% equity.

In reality a hundred dollar bill is still worth $94.56 with a 5.44% hit. I will keep on living life not a big deal for me.

In the big picture the number is terrifying thou. LOL Oh well easy come easy go.

Last edited:
Break it out even more...what's in your Roth and how did you manage 43%? :D

LOL it was all from buying puts on SPY the past couple of weeks. Could have been a 1000% gain but I have weak hands.

Who cares? Short term gains or losses don't mean anything. You have to go 3-5 years to even comment on returns.

Is this really true? As one gets older does not the timeline decrease? Yes for those whipper snapper retirees, but for those approaching and/or in their late 60's to mid 70's and over, long term is somewhat relative.

Who cares? Short term gains or losses don't mean anything. You have to go 3-5 years to even comment on returns.

I'll play this game! So when I started tracking in 2012, up 340% over 8 years and 2 months... so what is that (340 / 8) = 42.5%/yr avg. :cool:

-5.71% total return YTD according to Morningstar. We bought more on Tuesday and Thursday. The rentals are doing swimmingly by comparison, the sun is shining, and I repaired our irrigation system with a new valve purchased for $1 at a yard sale while on my way to HD to buy the same valve for $15. Sometimes stuff just works.

-2.14% 45/55

Not too bad considering the blood bath this week.

I am almost exactly even YTD, having gone down to less than 10% equities end of Nov2019. Down only $13k from Feb peak. I should be up ~1% after Feb divs and interests post.

-6.2%

Bummer until I look over a column (to 2019) and see 24.5%.

YTD -3.87%.
Saved about 0.80% due to my small transfer into bonds on 02/19.

Down 4.3% The balance has been devastated all the way back to where it was on December 4th, 2019. Had been sitting at 99%, now 16%, waiting for that dead cat to bounce...

-4.1%. Taking 1/3 2019 gains in late Jan., then last week's decline and taking remainder of 2019 gains Friday took me down from 57% stocks to 50%; another 2-3% decline in stock allocation will have me start to put all that cash back to work (reinvest 2-3% cash for each additional market decline of 4-5%). Cash is currently almost 25%.
I have enough cash for withdrawals to take me a year past SS FRA.

Last edited:
-3.36% YTD 50/50/0

I track overall portfolio growth as a running average since 5/1/18 (nothing significant about that date that I can think of). I use moneychimp/XIRR in Excel and my own formula and all show 8-9% over that time.

FIRE'd 3 years now, DW still works 2-3 more years and as yet, we have not touched the portfolio.

Let's see what this new week brings.....

Last edited:
As a 40/60 guy I always valued the 25 years expenses I've got in FI. But dang, that 40 group is dragging my supposed conservative portfolio down by six figures. In very short order I might add.
Now, do I rebalance eventually or just let it ride? For now it's a few K at a time back into equities. If I don't keep pace with an upswing I still win. If the drop is prolonged I won't get hurt too much.

-3.1% YTD, started buying last week and changed my AA from 40/60 to 45/55. If it keeps dropping I'll go to 50/50.

That Was The Week That Was

January 2020

-0.16% Total Portfolio Value Decrease (50/45/5 target)

-0.14% American Funds American Balanced (50/50) Class R-6 RLBGX

+2.12% Vanguard Total Bond Market Index Fund Admiral VBTLX
-0.08% Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Admiral VTSAX

+1.28% Vanguard Wellesley Income Fund Admiral VWIAX
+0.35% Vanguard Wellington Fund Admiral VWENX

It's interesting that the simplest 50-50 portfolio design with Vanguard funds above would return the investor +1% approximately.
February 2020

-4.36% Total Portfolio Value YTD Change (50/45/5 target)

-3.93% American Funds American Balanced (50/50) Class R-6 RLBGX

+3.87% Vanguard Total Bond Market Index Fund Admiral VBTLX
-8.23% Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Admiral VTSAX

-1.19% Vanguard Wellesley Income Fund Admiral VWIAX
-4.98% Vanguard Wellington Fund Admiral VWENX

Cousins Wellesley and Wellington both are negative for the year, no doubt hiding from the market ills of the last week of February 2020.

The week was timed by nefarious forces to persuade me that money is greater than time. But I followed my plan and made the final walk to minicorp parking lot.
:tongue:

Started year at 58/40. -4.1% thru Feb. AA fell on its own to 53.6%.

Back
Top Bottom