Antidote for Optimism

haha

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Charlie Rose - Jeremy Grantham

A very interesting interview by an excellent interviewer of an impressive thinker. Jeremy Grantham interview by Charlie Rose.

Ha

Last edited:
Thanks for the link.

I just finished listening to the whole 53 minute and 39 second interview.

Since he did the numbers I can't argue with his conclusions. Yet I think he is way too optimistic on the benefits of alternative energy. Can't agree with his reasoning for opposing the keystone pipeline. ie it would perpetuate the idea that fossil fuels are more available for the long term, simply based on technology advances in extraction.

I definitely see his point on the bubbles, and have to agree.

He does not have any use for Greenspan's methods, and not so much for Bernanke's either. I think his point about keeping interest rates low is valid. I do agree with him that it does not help the economy.

I'll need to listen a few more times to fully understand his points. It is a long interview, need a score card to keep track of the issues, players and his opinions.

Hopefully get a chance to listen later when I can give full attention. -ERD50

He does not have any use for Greenspan's methods, and not so much for Bernanke's either.
I actually got the feeling that he thought Mr B was even more misguided and destructive than the Maestro.

I think he doesn't believe that pure academics should have thls very powerful policy making position.

Ha

I watched it live the other day, and I knew Mr Grantham is considered a 'perma-bear' by many, but the interview was pretty depressing for the long term from my POV - appropriate thread title ha.

He did say they don't see any short term issues with the US/global economy or markets.

At the same time, some of his major longer term concerns seem well founded if we (globally) don't change our ways. Without some changes in human behavior and/or some technological breakthroughs, we could get into trouble with population, climate change, food, energy, water, etc. That said, technological breakthroughs have prevented past issues over and over (as Charlie Rose pointed out), and we'd all like to believe it will happen again and again, as it has in the past.

But when Jeremy Grantham starts talking about bubbles again, his timing may be off, but his track record seeing them coming appears to be pretty good. Might be worth considering when he gets alarmed again. Stay tuned?

Last edited:
Has Grantham translated his market views into index beating returns for investors over the longer term?

I'm guessing what the answer is but don't want to bias anyone here. :rolleyes::)

Has Grantham translated his market views into index beating returns for investors over the longer term?

I'm guessing what the answer is but don't want to bias anyone here. :rolleyes::)
Nah, he is dumber than dirt.

Ha

Last edited:
Very interesting. I could listen to him for days. He makes a lot of valid points on so many different things. Thanks for posting it.

I just put 2 and 2 together and realized that Jeremy Grantham is the person behind the Grantham Foundation. He's literally putting his money where his mouth is.

Grantham Foundation - Home

Back
Top Bottom