Dow over 28,000!

W2R

Moderator Emeritus
It's hard to believe, but at closing today the Dow is 28,005 and the S&P is at 3,120 . Seems so amazing.:D

But before you all "poo poo" my excitement, look at your portfolio balance. In my case, my portfolio is at its all time high (again) today. Also it is 145% of what it was when I retired ten years and six days ago, despite living on it. During that time the CPI only went up a little over 16% so most of this gain is real. During most of those ten years I didn't have SS to lean on like I do now, so who knows what the future may bring.

It would have been nice if I had had two cents to rub together when I was younger, or even middle aged. But then, maybe it's just as well since I did learn to LBYM by not having much.

Well, I just wanted to make all of you fine people smile and feel happy. :dance:

Well...unless you sell, it is all imaginary gains. :cool:

Here we go again! Well, I was looking for a buying opportunity.

I didn't say it! I didn't say it!!! :ROFLMAO: :2funny:

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 760
Okay, everybody sell some equities NOW, and don't buy any equities!!! Because, you know, as soon as you sell the market goes up, and as soon as you buy the market goes down. At least that is what happens to me... :D

Today is an all time high for me too. Better than my all time low last Dec.

W2R - good thing you didn't have a typo on "Whew".

28,000 means we go to 30,000 before we drop

Today is an all time high for me too. Better than my all time low last Dec.
That's great!!! It's such a good feeling to see these record breaking high numbers finally showing up.

W2R - good thing you didn't have a typo on "Whew".
Eek, I didn't even notice that I used a "W" word. :LOL: I'm not actually sure but I don't think that "Whew" would have the same effect as that other word. :)

Made me look... DJIA was ~12,218 when I retired at the end of 2011... 28,000 today is much better than I would have thought.... based on my retirement date assumptions I would have thought it would be 16,000 by now, but not 28,000...wow!

I was wondering if W2R would say the Wh__ word at today’s close.

The rest of you made me look, when I retired the DJIA was 12261.42. Needless to say our nest egg is up substantially, and our equity allocation is the lowest ever, since we’ve “won the game.” Life is good, risk is lower...

We are at about 72% equities (retired, but age 49 - 50) I feel happy but scared.

Thank you W2R made me look. Dow Jones was [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]8341.63 on my retirement date of 12/31/2002. Lets see today's 28004.89/8341.63 = 335.72% a compound annual rate of about 7.38%. The amazing thing is that this is a "normal" rate of return given our economy's growth since then.[/FONT]

Yeah!!! What he said!!! :D

The day I retired (11/9/2009), the Dow was 10,227. Now it is 28,005. Whew, stratospheric!

I remember when it hit 10k for the first time, in 1999. And the mod team is now exploring ways to implement "are you sure" logic, before you can ever again start a word with "W"

(jk)

Dow at 28,000. Is that it?

Back in 1999-2000, the following books were published.

Come on, it has been 20 years already. I don't have another 20 years to wait. :)

51M8857Z3NL._SX315_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

516BBV6ZA6L._SX316_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I remember when it hit 10k for the first time, in 1999. And the mod team is now exploring ways to implement "are you sure" logic, before you can ever again start a word with "W"

(jk)

Can you just program things so if anyone types the w-word that it automatically changes it like it does with **** and ****? :LOL:

Wonderful, just wonderful.

Really puts some ease into blowing that dough eh? Sell when high baby, enjoy the gains and blow that dough with little pain.

Back
Top Bottom