Dow over 28,000!

I just discovered that I started the original "W" thread when the Dow was HALF as much - - it had just gone over 14,000.

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/record-dow-whee-30317.html

Just think, it has doubled without a major recession since (EDIT: Well, except for that little incident in 2008-2009.... :D ). Anyway, maybe it will double again before we end up on the down side of that investment rollercoaster.

Dow 56,000, anyone? :D

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 337
that's it, we're all doomed, sell it all and go in the bunkers.

It seems to me that W2R copying and pasting the w-word is close to the same as her typing it... so I'm afraid to say that I think we are DOOMED.

Be as doomed as you like. Me, I'm having BIG fun!

Be as doomed as you like. Me, I'm having BIG fun!

It's a great day to have BIG fun!

Happy days are here again
The skies above are clear again
Let us sing a song of cheer again

Altogether shout it now
There's no one
Who can doubt it now
So let us tell the world about it now

Your cares and troubles are gone
There'll be no more from now on,

The skies above are clear again
So, let us sing a song of happy cheer again,

Happy, happy, happy days
Are here again!

Can you just program things so if anyone types the w-word that it automatically changes it like it does with **** and ****? :LOL:

They could. I think that only works for ***** and ******** currently.

ETA: Yup. :)

This 28000 milestone brings back to light something that I’ve been thinking about lately. My portfolio has risen to a point that I didn’t think it would ever get to post retirement, and generates more than an adequate income. And my age has risen to a point where I have less time left to spend the money, and less time to recover from a future downturn.

So why continue the current AA? Even 50/50 presents more risk than reward to me. I have no heirs to leave $ to, so I have no reason to chase a higher $. So I’m not only going to rebalance. I’m going to reconstruct my portfolio into a more than safe AA.

They could. I think that only works for ***** and ******** currently.

ETA: Yup. :)

After all these years reading this message board, I still can't figure out what the "W" word is. Would someone be willing to whisper it in my ear?

Okay, everybody sell some equities NOW, and don't buy any equities!!! Because, you know, as soon as you sell the market goes up, and as soon as you buy the market goes down. At least that is what happens to me... :D

You all have me to thank for this. I made a small sale last week as part of raising cash for next year's spending pot, and I made another one yesterday. One more to go plus a minor rebalance.

After all these years reading this message board, I still can't figure out what the "W" word is. Would someone be willing to whisper it in my ear?

Start with "Whew" and then substitute the appropriate vowel for the last "w" in the word.
The story line is that once @W2R says that word in celebration, then the market starts going down.

... So I’m not only going to rebalance. I’m going to reconstruct my portfolio into a more than safe AA...

IMHO, others will disagree, you are doing the right thing, and will be able to snooze at night.

This 28000 milestone brings back to light something that I’ve been thinking about lately. My portfolio has risen to a point that I didn’t think it would ever get to post retirement, and generates more than an adequate income. And my age has risen to a point where I have less time left to spend the money, and less time to recover from a future downturn.

So why continue the current AA? Even 50/50 presents more risk than reward to me. I have no heirs to leave $ to, so I have no reason to chase a higher $. So I’m not only going to rebalance. I’m going to reconstruct my portfolio into a more than safe AA.

I can relate.

Out of curiosity, what AA are you going from/to? I will confess that in the process of moving DW's IRA from USAA to Vanguard a couple of months ago I allowed our equity allocation to drop from the low 40's to the low 30's. So far I've been reluctant to increase it.

Last edited:
I was thinking about doing some covered call selling but looked into it and the downside protection really just isn't there unless you go really deep, at which point perhaps should just go cash or bonds.

Like on SPY you can sell Jan 2021$320 calls for $16.5 with the index fund at $312, but that only protects you from about a 5% drop while only giving you a max return of about 8%

Bonds are not very attractive right now though.

Cash or very very short term cash like things...but that is totally market timing.

So best to put head in sand.

Thread starts with jubilation about market highs and ends with healthcare.

It was still late 2007 (November) when the thread ended. After the Market peak, but still well ahead of the bloodbath that occurred in 2008.

I’m sure there are numerous threads here with gnashing of teeth in 2008 and early 2009! I remember reading many.

It was still late 2007 (November) when the thread ended. After the Market peak, but still well ahead of the bloodbath that occurred in 2008.

I’m sure there are numerous threads here with gnashing of teeth in 2008 and early 2009! I remember reading many.
We were still working during the bloodbath, so we had healthcare (at least) and a paycheck. Our dreams of retiring going out the window. I cannot imagine going through this time with the HC system the way it was for ER.

Back
Top Bottom