Free Meals and Retirement "Seminars"

It seems like 2/3 of them are at Ruth's Chris - but from many different insurance salespeople. I wonder if Ruth's Chris have enough seating for regular diners! :)

So we, the end consumers, are bombarded by these offers to listen to seminars while eating free at Ruth's Chris.

Meanwhile, the insurance people and FAs are bombarded by Ruth's Chris with some sort of deal to sponsor their seminars.

I get mainly mailings for these. but the free meal isn't much fun listening to a sales pitch. Now, if instead of a meal they offered cash... I might consider it. :)

+1 *exactly*.

I can't imagine enjoying even the best meal with some yayhoo yammering on in the background trying to sell me something I don't want.

On the other hand, I can imagine being tempted some day by a timeshare pitch vacation - to a suitable place, for a steal - but so far I've managed to hold out there as well.

+1 *exactly*.

I can't imagine enjoying even the best meal with some yayhoo yammering on in the background trying to sell me something I don't want.

FWIW, both presentations I attended were done BEFORE the food arrived.

omni

omni

That being the case, it looks like my imagination must be out of focus.

And I see that some on this thread have attended talks they felt were interesting or worthwhile. Good on that.

Still, unless it was something in which I was truly interested, I wouldn't be too happy about having wasted my time there come meal time anyway.

Most of the mailers I get read like "little known secrets of wealth preservation" (or similarly "come on" sounding). Not for me. Perhaps I'm not in the right zip code.

;-)

...I can imagine being tempted some day by a timeshare pitch vacation - to a suitable place, for a steal - but so far I've managed to hold out there as well.

That's different. Most people go for the freebies, with no intention of buying. It's the hard-sell which gets the weakest to relent.

The "steal," if there is one in that field, is NOT going to come from the salesmen pushing new units. It more likely would come from people paying annual fees and trying to get out of a rotten deal. And I suspect you really have to know the ropes even in that arena.

It was good to read here that there are some folks making the timeshare thing work for them, but I suspect they're in the minority, and did a LOT of homework, first.

That's different. Most people go for the freebies, with no intention of buying. It's the hard-sell which gets the weakest to relent.

The "steal," if there is one in that field, is NOT going to come from the salesmen pushing new units.

Yep. The "steal" to which I was referring would be the deeply discounted vacation package, in a location in which I had some interest, at a resort (or brand) in which I had some confidence or, better yet, personal familiarity.

For example, two recent pitches came through our mail, one for a Marriott (I think) in Poipu and another for another branded property (I forget whcih brand) in Princeville, both on Kauai. We've been to (and enjoyed) both areas, and would enjoy going back sometime. Either could be a good base for exploring other things on the island. So, if I felt it were time, I'd consider sitting through a morning of time share pitch if I thought I was saving enough on accommodations for a trip I might make anyway. Everybody has his price.

Re: the meal thing. Perhaps I was bit harsh with the "yayhoo yammering" comment. I realize these folks need to make a living and some I'm sure are selling services that may be useful to some attendees. Nevertheless, I'd go to meal/presentation if I were interested in the presentation, and the meal might be a kicker in a borderline case. I don't have any interest, on the other hand, in polluting a meal experience with a bad (or misfit) presentation. Not for me.

I went to one hosted by the "crash proof" retirement.

I gotta tell you, I was angry. maybe because it was heavy on the scare tatics and the room seemed to be filled with older seniors 70-80+. there were maybe 3 under 60'ish folks around.

my annoyance was pretty much a good portion of the seminar (~80 mins) goes on about the "evil" stock market and that the world was on the brink of a world wide market meltdown. Really Phil? how would you know this?

http://www.philly.com/philly/business/Fixed_Index_Annuities_Magical_or_Unsuitable.html

lol, I love at the end when he compares himself to Martin Luther king.

“If I get picked off for doing something great nationally, I'm OK with that,” he said. “Isn’t that how Martin Luther King died? They all died for a cause, and the cause still survives. ... So, I'm not afraid to die.

Last edited:
I get mainly mailings for these. but the free meal isn't much fun listening to a sales pitch. Now, if instead of a meal they offered cash... I might consider it. :)

My out of town credit union offers $50 credit for attending various soft subject seminars at least once per year. My local credit union has pizza slices and soft drinks.

omni

I have been to only one of these events and the pitch came before the food.

It is amazing how people can just make things up out of thin air, like "I can't imagine enjoying even the best meal with some yayhoo yammering on in the background trying to sell me something I don't want."

If it is something you don't want, why would you even go? :facepalm:

It is amazing how people can just make things up out of thin air, like "I can't imagine enjoying even the best meal with some yayhoo yammering on in the background trying to sell me something I don't want."

If it is something you don't want, why would you even go? :facepalm:

I think that was his point.

It seems that rockyj made an incorrect assumption about how these things work never having been to one.

. . . and the yayhoo yammering comment was a little graphic

Thanks, braumeister, that was the point.

It seems that rockyj made an incorrect assumption about how these things work never having been to one.

. . . and the yayhoo yammering comment was a little graphic

Rustward, first, my apologies if my language has offended you. I did mention in a followup post that perhaps "yahoo yammering" was a bit harsh.

FWIW, I have been to "one of these" - more or less - a free light buffet and overview of investment options in a retirement plan in which I was already a participant. In that case, the presentation began as soon as we sat down from the buffet to eat. Having interest in the topic, there was no yayhoo yammering that day. The food was OK, too.

To the OP's original point/dilemma:

...The wife, however, is of the opinion that its worth sitting through a sales pitch in exchange for a free meal at a nice restaurant.

I have doggedly said 'No' each time,... she is twisting my arm again... Thoughts? Opinions? Ridicule? :)

Clearly the proposition here is enduring an unwanted sales pitch in exchange for a free meal. You may file my first reply somewhere between opinion and ridicule. But it's pretty much what first comes to mind when I imagine that trade off.

Once again, my apologies if you've been offended by that.

Rustward, first, my apologies if my language has offended you. I did mention in a followup post that perhaps "yahoo yammering" was a bit harsh.

This made me think how just last week we were at the restaurant and the folks in the booth behind me kept yammering so much it was hard to hear DW.. :facepalm:

Maybe I should go to these presentations, at least I won't have to pay for my meal while folks yammer.

We are not willing to sit through a pitch simply to get a free meal.

We have, however, sat through one on two seperate occasions to get a free week at a resort in Thailand. Passed on their wonderful, exclusive offer on both occasions. Thanks Twin Sands! We did google the firm Even though most of the comments were flashing red lights we did enjoy their hospitality.

Wow.... Ok I'm sold, it sounds pretty good. Got to check the mailbox.

Just in case your mailbox isn't filling up. Try this. Google "financial seminar ruth's chris". You may find a seminar at your local R.C. You can always call them to get in. You'll also find a few blogs and articles on the exact discussion we are having. One writer has an article titled: "The worst deal in America: 'Free Lunch' senior seminars."

I don't get these in my mailbox because I opted out of junk mail from DMA. DW gets 1 to 2 per week since she never opted out.

This article, purportedly written by someone who used to give meal seminars, describes all the psychological tactics being used.

*How they picked you
*How they work with the restaurant (they get a steep discount for bringing a large party)
*How they pull you in with horror stories, success stories, subtle appeals to your ego and insecurities (which anybody with enough money to be attractive to them should be able to see through)
*How their goal is *not* to teach you anything - it's to convince you that you know nothing, and need their help.

https://www.stackingbenjamins.com/behind-the-scenes-free-financial-seminar/

We have been to about 6 so far all of no pressure and some very good meals including Ruth’s Chris And Cooper Hawk steak salmon wine dessert etc and if you do not sign up no questions asked and no phone calls. I have to say this far have learned very little at these.

<snip> Clearly there is some marketing going to FAs because just about every FA has their seminar at Ruth's Chris.

What would be so bad about this? They are in business to make money.

Nobody is forcing anybody to go to these things. If you don't want to go, just drop your "invitation" in the trash and you can move on to something that you want to do.

Last edited:
What would be so bad about this? They are in business to make money.

Nobody is forcing anybody to go to these things. If you don't want to go, just drop your "invitation" in the trash and you can move on to something that you want to do.
Which is what I said we do in my first post. :cool:

What I find interesting is they market to us, but clearly they are marketed to also. Nothing wrong at all with a little B2B marketing. Just observing.

What I find interesting is they market to us, but clearly they are marketed to also. Nothing wrong at all with a little B2B marketing. Just observing.

Just about everybody is marketed to. What is new about that?

This is just business. Businesses constantly market to other businesses to provide a less expensive and/or more appealing product/services to their customers and save money in the process.

It is the our product is better performing/less expensive/more appealing to your customers than our competition's product, therefore if you buy our product you will be more successful. It's just marketing.

Got home last night and went through the mail.

Lo and behold, an invitation for a 'retirement planning' seminar at Ruth's Chris later this month. :nonono:

Back
Top Bottom