How many own LTC insurance?

Had an uncle who planned to self insure three years ago with $130K earmarked. His thought process was that he'd never be in a home more than 6 months if at all. He ended up in a home for a little over 2.2 years. In year two he was forced to downgrade to a home I wouldn't want to spend a week in.

Indeed. Of course it's your planning, not your uncle's, that matters to you. If you don't trust yourself to understand and properly prepare to be self-insured for LTC, the consequences could be not to your liking.
We could self insure, but I'd rather pass that money down.
Well, you'll pass down more or perhaps less than if you self-insured depending on how much LTC eventually costs you vs the premiums you pay.
The way I look at it is that I paid a small fraction for a single premium policy of what even a year in nursing home would cost now, let alone 30 or 40 years from now.
This sounds too good to be true syd03. A small fraction of $130k is, say, $50k. For that you get unlimited, lifetime LTC coverage? What is the actual amount you paid? What are the LTC and life insurance benefits?
I'm sure you planned accordingly, but perhaps not every member here has.
The statistics say we're over-prepared. But that's sort of a universal trend on this forum. You know, belts and suspenders kind of folks!

But, having said all that, we're still evaluating Type A CCRC's. We're not against the idea of insuring for LTC in some form, even though we can self-insure, but we're not sure of which path to follow. So many pros and cons........

Last edited:
I also wanted to mention that our policy covers in home care payouts. Our agent mentioned that for those who need LTC, but who haven't purchased it, it is common to see wives, whose husbands need the care providing the care themselves often with debilitating effects, in order to conserve funds.

It sounds like a reaffirmation that it's the folks who have too much for Medicaid but not enough to self-insure that are the ones who most need to consider some form of LTCI.

This is a great educational thread. We are 65 and 62. We have access to Federal Employee LTCi which we think may be more stable than other traditional plans. John Hancock is the provider but I think it goes out to bid every x yrs. We’re currently reviewing hybrid plans from Mass Mutual and NY Life through Fidelity. The hybrid plans look like no brainwashing except we don’t really need the life insurance. We asked about the combined coverage with spouse but Fido doesn’t offer it.

It is most likely we will self insure but at least it should be an informed choice. I looked at the cost of my employer sponsored plans back in my early 50’s and they always seemed very expensive with no protection from excessive premium increases. I suspect the newer hybrid policies are also mis-priced but the risk is to the provider.

Wish I could go back a couple of decades & buy one of those paid-up, fully portable LTC policies it seems many employers offered.

Seems like the traditional policies today are simply pre-paying for later benefits.

Hybrid policies...make sure they're not based on a universal life (UL) policy unless it's guaranteed UL.

Back in my 40s my agent tried to get me to exchange a plain-vanilla whole life policy from my childhood to a hybrid UL with LTC rider, but under the guaranteed illustration the policy would have blown up as early as my mid-60s.

In my unfortunate personal experience UL policies always collapse to the guarantee & blow up (premiums become unaffordable)...got stuck paying for a couple of UL policies (I didn't pick them) that self-destructed in that way after 25-30 years.

Last edited:
Wish I could go back a couple of decades & buy one of those paid-up, fully portable LTC policies it seems many employers offered.

Seems like the traditional policies today are simply pre-paying for later benefits.

Hybrid policies...make sure they're not based on a universal life (UL) policy unless it's guaranteed UL.

Back in my 40s my agent tried to get me to exchange a plain-vanilla whole life policy from my childhood to a hybrid UL with LTC rider, but under the guaranteed illustration the policy would have blown up as early as my mid-60s.

In my unfortunate personal experience UL policies always collapse to the guarantee & blow up (premiums become unaffordable)...got stuck paying for a couple of UL policies (I didn't pick them) that self-destructed in that way after 25-30 years.

I'd like to get some clarification here.....the NY Life hybrid policy through Fidelity is based on UL, (don't know if it is guaranteed UL). It is a one time premium. The life insurance benefit is more than the premium.

It has come in handy. My mom has one paid up and I just had to move her into long term care assisted living. It is a great plan that pays a max of 5k up to 5 years.

btw, how do you create new threads? I'm just venturing more into this website :facepalm:

I agree

Dingo, I would suggest you talk to a broker who handles not only One America hybrids, but also other LTC products and companies. Explain you have no heir to benefit from the life insurance death benefit, and your concerns whether you might get better coverage on the LTC side without worrying about death benefit. Perhaps OneAmerica has ways to handle that particular issue. Or perhaps your broker can suggest other products that would benefit you better on the LTC side. (One broker who is knowledgeable is at ltcpartners).
I am in the he process of doing that now. That seems reasonable. Thanks.

I was looking at LTC products in 2019. The only bright spot of Covid is I found a solution that isn’t zero risk, but it also improves quality of life in the meantime.

1. Eat single ingredient food. I.e. unprocessed
2. Walk > 7500 steps a day
3. Strength train to build muscle. Never too old for this.
4. Get all the sun and nature your body can tolerate.
5. Nutrient testing at your physical to supplement deficiencies.

Finally, enjoy your better life.

I'd like to get some clarification here.....the NY Life hybrid policy through Fidelity is based on UL, (don't know if it is guaranteed UL). It is a one time premium. The life insurance benefit is more than the premium.

Check the guaranteed illustration...does the policy stay in force even with no additional premiums?

In my particular case, even rolling over the cash value from my WL policy AND paying an additional $10k/year premiums for another decade under the guaranteed illustration the policy ran out of money sometime in my 60s and required additional premium payments to stay in force.

Again, outside of the above I got stuck paying for a couple of UL policies that "blew up" in that way between 25 & 30 years after issue.

Last edited:
Check the guaranteed illustration...does the policy stay in force even with no additional premiums?

In my particular case, even rolling over the cash value from my WL policy AND paying an additional $10k/year premiums for another decade under the guaranteed illustration the policy ran out of money sometime in my 60s and required additional premium payments to stay in force.

Again, outside of the above I got stuck paying for a couple of UL policies that "blew up" in that way between 25 & 30 years after issue.

Thanks. I should have the detailed quotes to review so just need to find the time and focus.

It is most likely we will self insure but at least it should be an informed choice.
That's what were aiming for too. We're older than you folks, so fewer practical options, but we still feel it's important to understand everything in detail.
I suspect the newer hybrid policies are also mis-priced but the risk is to the provider.

I'm not sure that the risk is all to the provider with the hybrid policies. If they have significantly under-priced the policies, they might be able to reduce the benefits later. Or, if the situation is bad enough, enact some scheme where they are able to just stop paying benefits for that class of policy. I've been trying to understand that aspect of the hybrids.

We own two properties, one of which we rent to a full-time tenant. Our rental property is currently worth around $1 million, net of capital gains tax and debt on the property. I figure that’s our LTC policy. If one or both of us needed care for a long time, this should adequately fund the care without causing financial problems or displacement for the other.

We have no kids so not worried about passing this property down to heirs.

Anyone see a reason we should buy LTC insurance?

Be aware that if you or your DW have a "health event" during the 4 - 5 years while you're waiting, you and/or DW may not pass their mental/physical requirements for a Type A plan. You must be totally capable of independent living when you enter.

DW and I are also looking a Type A CCRC's and find picking an entry age to be frustrating. Go in too soon and you might be wishing you were still in your own home and living that lifestyle. Wait too long and have a "health event," and you can't get in except under a Type C plan.

We executed the CCRC strategy when we were 72/71. Earlier than planned but pricing on new project and ability to be part of a younger community made sense for us. Research we did also uncovered an analysis that pointed out that moving in CCRC "early" actually provided you more years when you could actually fully enjoy all the benefits. We have notice in our CCRC how quickly our 80+ residents hardly leave their units beyond meals and minimal programs.

I'm not sure that the risk is all to the provider with the hybrid policies. If they have significantly under-priced the policies, they might be able to reduce the benefits later. Or, if the situation is bad enough, enact some scheme where they are able to just stop paying benefits for that class of policy. I've been trying to understand that aspect of the hybrids.

I agree. I thought a long time before I made that statement. They are complex products. The death benefit is more than the premium so it seems that would be tough to wrangle out of.

I am considering a policy like this through One America . We would probably pay the full amt up front and receive a discount on the price. I can’t see too many downsides.

We are not concerned with a large payout from the death benefit to our heirs since we don’t have kids. We would be willing to take a lesser amt or forgo the payout altogether if we could get a lower upfront price. The policy has the chassis of a life insurance policy so I recognize that this is probably wishful thinking.

As far as I can tell the company is stable . I am having trouble pulling the trigger for some reason. We would move $150,000 from the IRA to fund it ( no tax implications)and be eligible for a $5729/mth benefit lifetime benefit each for me and my spouse. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
If you are not concerned with the life insurance payout, you may get benefit by reducing the life amount and putting the difference toward a very generous LTC rider.

That's what we did with our One America hybrid policy. 5% inflation and unlimited LTC payout. Subject to annual max of course. Long term payout became a concern of ours when a friend required nearly a decade of care for his young wife with Alzheimer's.

$100k policy will not be enough to cover nursing home annual cost but it substantially reduces the burden. Call it semi self insured.

I agree. I thought a long time before I made that statement. They are complex products. The death benefit is more than the premium so it seems that would be tough to wrangle out of.

Well, we know that the aggregate premiums paid in + earnings must exceed the aggregate benefits paid out + administrative expenses (or they eventually go out of business). Policy holders must hope the insurance company is skilled at predicting future costs of both LTC and LI obligations and has priced the policies and estimated the earnings and administrative expenses accurately. The much sought after concept of "peace of mind" won't exist if policy owners know the company is struggling.

In terms of wrangling out of paying the death benefit, I agree not paying out death benefits is not a real concern IMHO. But, I wouldn't buy a hybrid policy if my primary concern is LI. I'm investigating LTC coverage. In particular, I'm looking for catastrophic coverage.

Last edited:
If you are not concerned with the life insurance payout, you may get benefit by reducing the life amount and putting the difference toward a very generous LTC rider.

That's what we did with our One America hybrid policy. 5% inflation and unlimited LTC payout. Subject to annual max of course. Long term payout became a concern of ours when a friend required nearly a decade of care for his young wife with Alzheimer's.

$100k policy will not be enough to cover nursing home annual cost but it substantially reduces the burden. Call it semi self insured.

Would you mind sharing your ages, what the premium was and what the LI and LTC benefits are?

We executed the CCRC strategy when we were 72/71. Earlier than planned but pricing on new project and ability to be part of a younger community made sense for us. Research we did also uncovered an analysis that pointed out that moving in CCRC "early" actually provided you more years when you could actually fully enjoy all the benefits. We have notice in our CCRC how quickly our 80+ residents hardly leave their units beyond meals and minimal programs.

Indeed, lots of pros and cons for any age you pick to enter a Type A CCRC. Our favorite, of several we've visited multiple times, does have an older population. We're both 74 and have yet to meet anyone there that's younger. But their physical plant, grounds, staff and (most importantly) full nursing and memory care ratings are the best of the bunch. Also, since we still travel 2 - 3 months a year, it's tough for frugal folks like us to sign onto paying the monthly fees while not being there.

At our current age and health status, moving into a CCRC would be a step down from our current lifestyle in our own home. So, we are a bit hesitant to move in early.

Our favorite aspect of CCRC's (Type A, B or C) is that in the event of a sudden change in health status, the necessary facilities are right there, pre-planned. Say, one of us has a serious stroke. No pressure on the spouse to shop for a NH, begin daily visits which might involve a significant commute, etc.

Last edited:
We own two properties, one of which we rent to a full-time tenant. Our rental property is currently worth around $1 million, net of capital gains tax and debt on the property. I figure that’s our LTC policy. If one or both of us needed care for a long time, this should adequately fund the care without causing financial problems or displacement for the other.

We have no kids so not worried about passing this property down to heirs.

Anyone see a reason we should buy LTC insurance?

No, that is how we are handling it and the "no heirs" thing applies to us too.

Dh and I also have LTC insurance. We purchased it relatively young (early 40’s). I have worked in a field where I saw the “exceptions” (someone in their 40’s having a serious stroke or TBI and needing care for huge numbers of years)
We pay about 2k per year for both policies. About 10 years ago we decided to give up COLA’s to keep our premium the same. So we would get about 6K per month, but it’s unlimited time (the plan is no longer sold).
My feeling is it will help with expenses and comes at a price we can afford easily. And it covers home health care as well as a facility. At this point we’ve paid in about 40k.
A lot, yes, but we also paid for term life insurance for 20 years while the kids were young and didn’t need it (yay!). We’ve also paid for home insurance and car insurance and seldom had a claim. I still consider it money well spent for peace of mind.

Indeed. Of course it's your planning, not your uncle's, that matters to you. If you don't trust yourself to understand and properly prepare to be self-insured for LTC, the consequences could be not to your liking. Well, you'll pass down more or perhaps less than if you self-insured depending on how much LTC eventually costs you vs the premiums you pay. This sounds too good to be true syd03. A small fraction of $130k is, say, $50k. For that you get unlimited, lifetime LTC coverage? What is the actual amount you paid? What are the LTC and life insurance benefits? The statistics say we're over-prepared. But that's sort of a universal trend on this forum. You know, belts and suspenders kind of folks!

But, having said all that, we're still evaluating Type A CCRC's. We're not against the idea of insuring for LTC in some form, even though we can self-insure, but we're not sure of which path to follow. So many pros and cons........

1) Appreciate the feedback youbet. Again, many may understand perfectly how to anticipate LTC expenses, others may not. I do, but I also like the way we've hedged our approach. Just a personal opinion, that's all. Hence the input I provided previously. Only supplied on fwiw basis.

2) If either DW or I, or both, spend any time at all in a skilled facility the odds are high there will be more $ passed down than what we paid for the policy. Again this is unique, perhaps, to our situation in that we purchased a single premium policy. So the future potential escalating annual premiums you reference are no longer a consideration. The policy, one payment, cost $57,000 at the time. As mentioned in a previous post, the policy does not include a death benefit, and will pay roughly 68% of 3 year stays for both spouse and self. I never said we would receive unlimited LTC coverage. It has a 3% inflation rider. Adding a death benefit option, at least as I understand it, substantially dilutes why we actually wanted the policy; LTC coverage. Don't care about a death benefit, would rather have better daily LTC reimbursement if ever necessary. We didn't select the return of premium option either, for the same reason. All those 'perks' come at a cost; you lessen the daily facility coverage amounts. So, if, and it's a big if, either of us or both ever need LTC coverage some point down the road we'll be in a better position in terms of protecting other assets. The math is simple; 2021 annual LTC care costs in my state are already averaging $135K per person for a private room. The policy max payout is $1.1M at 90 years old. At this point, the only way we come out behind is if neither needs LTC at all. And if that's the case, awesome. I'll gladly swallow the $57K in exchange for passing suddenly and painlessly. I might add too that the $57K used to pay the premium was sitting in a bank, so future investment earnings loss wasn't a major concern. Worst case (health) scenario, we paid $57K for $1.1M in LTC coverage if we both end up in skilled care for a few years. In that case, estate keeps the $1M not spent self-insuring. I should add that my understanding is the policy we purchased is no longer available exactly as outlined. This was roughly 5 years ago and we were fortunate, in that neither had any underlying health concerns at the time of application.

I fear I sound a bit like I'm propping up the insurance industry. Not my intent. I'm not a paid spokesman, I worked in the healthcare industry and DW in telecom. In fact, if I had a dime for every time we were annoyed by insurance propositions through the years.... In most cases though, got to have insurance like it or not. And many times with auto, homeowners, we've been relieved we had the coverage. LTC is a bit of an outlier, however. It's a basic gamble, really.

If I have the ability to choose, I will not choose an extended poor quality of life. I can't speak for DW but her basic philosophy is the same.
That has always been my outlook that quality > quantity.
That ability to choose is the question, but DW would respect my decision, even if I could not take all the necessary steps.
Sounds morbid? Nothing so bad as laying about warehoused in a facility so I can watch a rerun on the tube every day. It for sure is not about the money.

1) Appreciate the feedback youbet. Again, many may understand perfectly how to anticipate LTC expenses, others may not. I do, but I also like the way we've hedged our approach. Just a personal opinion, that's all. Hence the input I provided previously
My only comment is that you're giving advise to others who may not understand how to plan financially for LTC but using a no longer available policy to do so. That's sort of like someone who did well with a no longer available variable annuity suggesting that folks buy variable annuities today. I understand how to self-insure for LTC. You understand how to self-insure for LTC. Perhaps that's what we should discuss as opposed to some group of hypothetical other folks on the forum who do not understand how to self-insure.
2) If either DW or I, or both, spend any time at all in a skilled facility the odds are high there will be more $ passed down than what we paid for the policy.
Although in aggregate, folks will have less to pass down because the insurance company has to pay out less than they take in or they go out of business. That's why it's called "insurance." Thinking about all the various insurance policies I own, they would all result in me passing with a larger estate if they pay me more than I paid out in premiums and lost opportunity.
Again this is unique, perhaps, to our situation in that we purchased a single premium policy. So the future potential escalating annual premiums you reference are no longer a consideration.
Where did I mention escalating premiums?
It's a basic gamble, really.

Yep. And I think the policies being offered today are less attractive that your no-longer-offered policy. But I keep looking at the various options available today for someone my age.

Last edited:
Indeed. Of course it's your planning, not your uncle's, that matters to you. If you don't trust yourself to understand and properly prepare to be self-insured for LTC, the consequences could be not to your liking. Well, you'll pass down more or perhaps less than if you self-insured depending on how much LTC eventually costs you vs the premiums you pay. This sounds too good to be true syd03. A small fraction of $130k is, say, $50k. For that you get unlimited, lifetime LTC coverage? What is the actual amount you paid? What are the LTC and life insurance benefits? The statistics say we're over-prepared. But that's sort of a universal trend on this forum. You know, belts and suspenders kind of folks!

My only comment is that you're giving advise to others who may not understand how to plan financially for LTC but using a no longer available policy to do so. That's sort of like someone who did well with a no longer available variable annuity suggesting that folks buy variable annuities today. I understand how to self-insure for LTC. You understand how to self-insure for LTC. Perhaps that's what we should discuss as opposed to some group of hypothetical other folks on the forum who do not understand how to self-insure. Although in aggregate, folks will have less to pass down because the insurance company has to pay out less than they take in or they go out of business. That's why it's called "insurance." Thinking about all the various insurance policies I own, they would all result in me passing with a larger estate if they pay me more than I paid out in premiums and lost opportunity. Where did I mention escalating premiums?

Yep. And I think the policies being offered today are less attractive that your no-longer-offered policy. But I keep looking at the various options available today for someone my age.

I think you're reaching a bit, youbet. I've simply shared my experience as reference for forum members. IE, contributing to the discussion. In reality, I never advised anyone to do anything. Stating that my exact policy may not be available, is simply stating fact/setting expectations. That said, there are a myriad of other LTC policy options available in the same vein. Hybrid/non-hybrid, etc.

The thread topic is "How many own LTC insurance". Not "Please provide advice on how to purchase LTC insurance". I happen to own LTC insurance and commented as such

Back
Top Bottom