How often do you trade cars or trucks?

1998 Honda CR-V with 108k. Bought from sister

1994 Subaru with 132k. Bought from mom when she stopped driving

2013 Toyota Corolla with 4K bought from dad last year a few months before he passed.

All three are low cost of ownership vehicles, but by teen sons refuse to ride in the Subaru "hoopdie" It's all wheel drive and great in the snow. But mom had managed to dent every panel before we finally took the keys from her ..

Me and DS1 repainted the Honda a few months ago with 25 cans of spray paint from dollar general due to ugly sun damage in the original clear coat. Came out looking really good too!

For longer trips we have the "new" car and for around town and driving the kid to and fro, we use the old beaters.

1966 Ford Mustang. A fun weekend toy

The kids think I'm cheap Charlie when it comes to cars.

I've always bought new. Current car is a 2004 Toyota Solara convertible with 70K miles. Still runs fine. I keep cars until the repair bills become too expensive or too inconvenient.

I'm starting to keep an eye out for a replacement, as I figure the time will be potentially coming soon. Might buy used next time - we'll see.

Generally 7-8 years. We also hand our cars down to the kids

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Normally 10 years, however, we will trade our two year old in a year or two. Lane Keeping is an option I believe is worth having. I remember when cruise control came out. It improved cross country driving, and I believe lane keeping will do the same. We plan a long road trip next year and will most likely upgrade for lane keeping.

We usually buy new and keep them till the wheels fall off.
We have 3 vehicles now:
1) 2001 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually Ext Cab, bought used in 2002 with 17k miles from someone I knew in community it now has 65k miles we use it to pull 5th wheel RV.
2) 2006 Chevy Colorado bought new now has 85k miles.
3) 2013 Chevy Equinox bought new now has 30k miles.

When I was young and foolish every 2-3 years. Now only when they fall apart. And then I will only get another preowned. Probably japanese or korean.

We have historically purchased 1 new and 1 used (not counting my play toys) . I used the new car for a 20,000 mile annual commute. My wife's car was always a used car generally about 5yrs old. That is until about 16 years ago. That is when I bought my wife a new car because, well, she was worth it. That 1999 Buick Century finally rusted beyond the safe level in 2012. Fuel lines, brake lines, filler neck, rockers etc. It just wasted away with < 100k miles. Illinois salted winters are brutal!We replaced it with a new 2012 Hyundai (10 yr/100k mile warranty).

I generally run cars until a) about 150,000 miles; b) non-warranty repairs too costly('96 Chevy S10); c) my repair time vs usage ratio becomes too high, ( 2002 PT Cruiser)or d) the Illinois winters have their way with them (too many other cars to mention). Last year I bought a 2000 Jimmy from the sunbelt with 88,000 miles. At a current use of ~4k miles per year, I hope to get another 10 years out of it before it returns to rust.

I am still driving the only car that I have ever owned a 22 year old Honda Civic which I bought new. I think that minimizing car expenses was a big factor in achieving FI so young. That said, I am starting to feel a little self conscious driving it around, but I drive very little now, and I would feel guilty about moving it along. The car has given me no trouble and followed me overseas and back so I feel that I owe it some loyalty.

I've only owned two cars so far (age 39). I paid cash for both. My last one was brand new when I bought it and I've had it for about ten years now.

I only drive it around town and I get a full check up on it every year. So it still runs great and I have had no major issues with it yet. I'll keep using my existing car until it starts to break down.

When one of those fancy self-driving cars comes on the market that will get me to splurge and buy a new car even if I didn't need it. Otherwise there's not much incentive for me to replace an old car that still works.

Question, when do you drop insurance on a car to liability only? 5 years? 10 years? Assuming spending $25K to replace a car in case it gets totaled will cause financial hardship (well not quite but it'll be a significant drain) but not, say, up to $5K on body work.

I haven't carried comp and collision in years, liability only for my cars. But I generally only spend around $2500-$3000 for whatever I'm driving.
I suggest to friends that they drop C&C when the values drop below $5k and they can have enough cash on hand to replace the car with something of about that value if they wreck it. The difference between liability only and C&C is substantial in my area.

We drive our vehicles until they start causing too many problems, so they are generally 12-15 years old when we get rid of them. We usually have one car that is 2-6 years old primarily for travel.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I suggest to friends that they drop C&C when the values drop below $5k and they can have enough cash on hand to replace the car with something of about that value if they wreck it. The difference between liability only and C&C is substantial in my area.
Thanks! That seems like a good strategy.

Yeah, C&C costs substantially more here, too. However, I don't really trust myself with buying a good used car and I like the safety features on new cars.

We are trying to get by with one car for DW and me. Theory is that cars wear out due to high mileage or due to excessive years old when the rubber and plastic parts start to go due to UV exposure, etc. For example, there seems to be plenty of old cars with under 100k miles, but they start failing due to failing plastic and rubber parts. By keeling just one car, we can pile all the miles onto it and have it "mileage out" and "age out" at about the same time. Saves on insurance of course too.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

1994 Saturn SW2 bought new for $17k out the door. 200k miles then traded in for 2006 Toyota prius new. $22k otd including $3k rebate from government. Presently still driving the Prius with 150k miles on it. Also have 1997 f350 crew cab 4x4 bought new in 98 as left over for $28k otd. Still driving it with 78k miles on it. (9mpg so keep driving to a minimum) Bought 2014 Highlander new otd for $40k last year. That's all our cars. Love the Highlander.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

2004 Ram Truck 60k miles now. Purchased new. Expect to drive another decade.
1995 Mark VIII 140K miles. Auction car cost $3K in 2005 with 119k miles. Getting long in the tooth, considering a replacement of some kind. I would like something that will haul Irish Wolfhounds this time (more than one), maybe Caddie SRX?

We are trying to get by with one car for DW and me. Theory is that cars wear out due to high mileage or due to excessive years old when the rubber and plastic parts start to go due to UV exposure, etc. For example, there seems to be plenty of old cars with under 100k miles, but they start failing due to failing plastic and rubber parts. By keeling just one car, we can pile all the miles onto it and have it "mileage out" and "age out" at about the same time. Saves on insurance of course too.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I have had experience with this. Our last major repair on our 2002 Toyota Sequoia with over 200k miles was a radiator replacement, $375 IIRC. DW who is the main driver of this vehicle wanted to know if it was her driving that led to the failed radiator (she does a lot of 4 wheeling on her metal detecting trips). When I picked up the Toyota from our trusted mechanic, I asked him that question. His response was, "Well it looks like you've never replaced the radiator before". I said, "Why would I, don't radiators basically last forever?" He said that with these newer cars (I guess 2002 is newer) they are made with plastic parts and there are only so many heat - cool cycles before the plastic cracks. Time to get a new radiator.

I guess some time in the near future you'll just have replacement plug in parts for your cars, kinda like popping in a Lego. 😏

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom