Should I trade in my car?

This is the kind of seller I want to buy from private party. Low miles. :D

Thats Us... and drive it till the wheels fall off. We helped our Daughter buy a 2002 Jetta after she graduated high school. $2000 and 112000 miles. still driving it with 270000 miles. We have had several 1st gen CRVs, the last one came home on a wrecker due to transmission issues.. only has 280K on it. And the crashed one will be donating a transmission later this fall.

I would make a trip to carmax/carvana for a quote. 1k below kbb might sound good in normal times, but nowadays you might easily be leaving more than that on the table.

Is the 2022 CRV the same generation as 2019?

Many people overlook generation spans when buying a new car. They could be trading in their vehicle for the exact same one, the only difference being the year of release.

We have read each reply and thank you all for so many things for us to think about. We are leaning toward keeping the car. But, at least now we’re armed with a lot more information moving forward for when we go back to talk to them

Our 2006 Honda has 140K. No issues. We plan to keep it for at least 5 more years. Our 2007 Solara has 70K miles. Summer car. Plan to keep it for at least 10 more years.

But....cars are not my thing. As long as I like the car and it is inexpensive to operate than I am good.

I would likely keep the 2019 model. Of course, I tend to keep vehicles for several years -- currently have a 2007 Honda (only 96k miles) which has been trouble free. Before that I had a Toyota for 16 years and 252k miles.

I have read this thread with interest…not that I am planning on trading vehicles anytime soon. However, I have a 2018 CR-V and I am happy to see that apparently they are holding their value. My car is even lower mileage than yours….we went nowhere in 2020 and 2021.

You have good suggestions on the financial considerations of trading your car. I can’t add anything to that. I think it comes down whether you want a new car. I dislike trading cars, so it is easy for me to stick with what I have as long as it is running well and trouble free. Other folks get a lot of enjoyment from a new car. It’s good that we are all different.

I would likely keep the 2019 model. Of course, I tend to keep vehicles for several years -- currently have a 2007 Honda (only 96k miles) which has been trouble free. Before that I had a Toyota for 16 years and 252k miles.

Prior to Covid when I was driving into the office 5 days a week I would have put 96k miles on my car in a little over 3 years. I had to chuckle when I read your post. :LOL:

Mike

We have a 2021 HRV, we could essentially trade this in for a 2023 HRV with 0 miles. New Body style.

Prior to Covid when I was driving into the office 5 days a week I would have put 96k miles on my car in a little over 3 years. I had to chuckle when I read your post. :LOL:

Mike

Similar to my last few years working -- had a 50 mile (one-way) commute. But that was before the current Honda which has been parked quite a bit due to some long periods of RV travel/living since retiring in 2008.

Many people overlook generation spans when buying a new car. They could be trading in their vehicle for the exact same one, the only difference being the year of release.
The 19s and 22's are the same generation. the 2023 will be the next generation.

We have a 2019 Honda CRV, 55k miles in very good shape. I love the model and our local Honda has always been excellent to work with. (We’ve owned 4 Honda’s) Recently a neighbor came home with a 2022 brand new CRV. They said they went to do a routine oil change and spoke to them about turning their car in for a new one. Got us thinking.

They are offering about $1000 less than the KBB states it’s worth in trade in value. We’re ok with that. We’re negotiating a price for new model that we’d reserve. It’ll be ready in 8 weeks. It would cost us $12,000 complete (tax, plates etc)

55,000 miles and 3 years old is making this sound like a decent offer. We’d pay cash.

Love your opinions. Thank you!!
If I'm reading your post correctly you are going to trade in a 3 year old vehicle plus give the dealer $12,000 for a new vehicle of the same brand/model. What are you gaining in new features and safety devices for $12,000? I'm going to guess besides a new 36/36 factory warranty, not much.

The previous 15 years or so saw a lot of changes in car technology--Bluetooth connectivity, back-up cameras, touch screens, remote starting, lane assist technology, keyless ignition, etc. But the changes from 2019 to 2022? Not so much.

Now, if you've got loads of money and simply want a new vehicle I get it.

Otherwise, I'll ask again--What are you gaining in new features and safety devices for $12,000?

We realized, after reading many of your replies, that it is not a smart financial move to trade in the car. We’ve learned a few things from reading these replies and thank you so much for all the responses. What a great group of people here!

We realized, after reading many of your replies, that it is not a smart financial move to trade in the car. We’ve learned a few things from reading these replies and thank you so much for all the responses. What a great group of people here!

Heh, heh, just keep in mind that all our advice cost you nothing. Remember what they say about free advice.:LOL: Good luck!:flowers:

Many times, just pausing is enough to bring forth the right answer. It’s those quick decisions that can take you off the right path. Having a sounding board, like this forum, even better.

From a guy who's still driving his 1999 F-350, having owned it for 23 years now, I can't imagine trading in a vehicle with so few miles. :blush:

My 2005 Mustang convertible just turned 65,000 miles and it's in perfect garage-kept shape. No way would I trade this car in since it has so much life left in it. Plus, it's a fun ride.:)

My 2005 Mustang convertible just turned 65,000 miles and it's in perfect garage-kept shape. No way would I trade this car in since it has so much life left in it. Plus, it's a fun ride.:)
I guess I'm just getting too old to find the perfect sports vehicle for my personal taste. I'm on my third new performance car in less than a year and I just can't seem to find exactly what I want. I've liked them all a lot but there's always something else I "really" wish it had or didn't have... For the money I'm paying it should be a perfect fit, IMO. When I collected cars, it wasn't such a big deal since I was always driving something different and nothing really "bugged" me that much. But now, as a primary daily driver, I get pretty picky. Maybe I'm to old to please. That's what the DW says anyway.

Last edited:
I guess I'm just getting too old to find the perfect sports vehicle for my personal taste. I'm on my third new performance car in less than a year and I just can't seem to find exactly what I want. I've liked them all a lot but there's always something else I wish it had or didn't have... For the money I'm paying it should be a perfect fit, IMO. When I collected cars, it wasn't such a big deal since I was always driving something different and nothing really "bugged" me that much. But now, as a primary daily driver, I get pretty picky. Maybe I'm to old to please. That's what the DW says anyway.

I hear ya, my DW says keep the old Mustang and don't keep drooling over a new C8 or a 1965 C2 like the I used to have. I keep threatening her that I will go find an old late 60's MGB and fill the garage with it on jack stands.

It always ends up as a standoff and nothing changes. :D

Back
Top Bottom