Keeping Tabs on Mr. Market

How do you keep track of Mr. Market

• Headlines - word of mouth (TV, radio, friends)

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • Internet - (Yahoo, Google, other site)

Votes: 58 81.7%
  • Stock Ticker/Widget programs or other electronic

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • I don't. Have better things to do.

Votes: 4 5.6%

• Total voters

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Was wondering, if you do, what approach do you use to you keep tabs on the market? As that's been the leading headline over the past few days.

I usually don't pay much attention to the market until days like the past few. I have used a few stock ticker/tracker programs. My favorite at the time is one called Marketbrowser (warning, it does nag for registration information). What's nice about this program is it shows on the system tray the percentage up/down, when you click on the icon, then you can get more detail.

Some others:

Stock Ticker Tape Software Downloads, Reviews: Stock Ticker Application Bar, Desktop US Stock Ticker, StockTick - Stock Ticker and More Stock Ticker Tape Programs

On my Mac desktop, I used a stock widget in dashboard. On my iPhone, I use the default "stock" app. On my iPad I use an app called Yahoo Marketdash.

For financial news, I like Bloomberg and CNBC (iPhone app, I rarely watch it on TV). I also read the Swiss press as they always seem to have a unique perspective on things.

Last edited:
I don't. However it seems to be available via cable tv or internet provider or the new cell phones - so it's sort of available in the background no matter what.

Hindsight says 'keeping track' hasn't made a lick or a stick of difference over the last forty five years (1966-2011). Boring old DCA, index funds, rebalancing turned out to be the horse I rode in on.

I still peek all the time - but I suppose I better keep dancing with the one that keeps me in ER.

heh heh heh - :cool: A flier on a few good stocks once in a while - medicine for the hormones. ;)

I usually check the Morningstar homepage at lunchtime to see if the style box is green or red.

On my Mac desktop, I used a stock widget in dashboard.
Me too. One button press and I instantly know what is happening in 15 different ETFs representing the major asset classes that I am interested in.

If the percent change is nothing special, then there is no need to go any further. If the percent change is large, then I might look at bloomberg.com.

Should have spent more time on biking or gardening instead of visiting financial sites and forum.

Primarily Morningstar. I track my portfolio (with historical copies for each year or when I make a very significant change) using their portfolio manager. I have been a Premium subscriber for almost 6 years and intend to continue that service.
I update the share balances every month for reinvested 30-day bond fund dividends and as needed for other periodic fund distributions.
I generally do not check on the market on a regular basis unless things are getting ugly. I read most of the articles at the links posted here. :flowers:

Yahoo Finance is all I have needed so far. I really don't check the markets. There are a couple of stocks I follow and my Vanguard accounts, but they are not 'the markets'. I used to be manic about checking, but less and less. Mostly coasting now.

I don't make any effort to track it, just notice when it's in the papers. And of course if anything unusual is going on, there are threads here...

Back
Top Bottom