Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Explorers - ESTP

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Explorers - ESFP

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters

BreathFree

Recycles dryer sheets
In a recent thread here, a forum member mentioned their personality type as INTJ. I was not familiar with this, so off to Google I go. I was directed to a site that tests for personality type, and I found I was also INTJ. It made me wander if a majority of the early retirement community favors a specific personality type.

INTJ strengths are: imaginative and strategic thinkers, ambitious, confident, independent, logical, persistent and determined, open minded and jack of all trades. I think these are great traits for early retirement. :dance:

Just to be fair, weaknesses are: arrogance, judgmental, overly analytic, a dislike of structured environments, and clueless in romance. :blush:

The aforementioned site link is below. The personality test is free and the site does not make you sign up to view your result. Feel free to vote in the poll without taking the test, if you already know your type. Good luck. :)

Free personality test | 16Personalities

Many of us here were subject to Myers-Briggs when at the megacorp. I came out INTP back then.

There's one of the sixteen categories where your typical axe murder lands...I forgot which one. All I know is that it wasn't any of the common ones (obviously).

I usually test as an ISTJ but sometimes it has come out as INTJ. I read somewhere along the line that everyone has a sort of "strong element" and a "weak element". I guess the S vs N is where I am close to the margin.

Where, I'd like to know, is "None of the above, at least not reliably"?

The only MBTI letter I can always count on is the "N." All the others vary all day long, depending on circumstances...

Amethyst

Where, I'd like to know, is "None of the above, at least not reliably"?

The only MBTI letter I can always count on is the "N." All the others vary all day long, depending on circumstances...

Amethyst

Do you have multiple personality disorder?:D

"Just to be fair, weaknesses are: arrogance, judgmental, overly analytic, a dislike of structured environments, and clueless in romance".

Those all belong in positive column too ;)

INTJ strengths are: imaginative and strategic thinkers, ambitious, confident, independent, logical, persistent and determined, open minded and jack of all trades. I think these are great traits for early retirement.

Just to be fair, weaknesses are: arrogance, judgmental, overly analytic, a dislike of structured environments, and clueless in romance.

My intense dislike of structured environments motivated me to persistently analyze the possibility of a strategic plan for the ER that I had imagined.:LOL:

Assertive ISTJ, but like Ronstar suspect I may change once out of my very ISTJ career. Still, description fits me, to my wife's occasional chagrin.

My intense dislike of structured environments motivated me to persistently analyze the possibility of a strategic plan for the ER that I had imagined.:LOL:

+1 I agree. I thought the same thing as I typed that sentence. In fact, strict structure at my work place causes the only stress in my life. I perform much better in a fluid environment.

Oh no, not MBTI again. Corporations love it because it tells a story with about as much validity as their marketing department. Psychologists debunked it years ago, and stopped paying any interest to it, which is why MBTI continues to eat psychologists' lunch, despite having a test-retest reliability (i.e., the chance of you getting the same answer a month later) of about 50%. See for example here.

Oh no, not MBTI again. Corporations love it because it tells a story with about as much validity as their marketing department. Psychologists debunked it years ago, and stopped paying any interest to it, which is why MBTI continues to eat psychologists' lunch, despite having a test-retest reliability (i.e., the chance of you getting the same answer a month later) of about 50%. See for example here.

All in good fun, Nick. :D
And what you got against the marketing dept, anyway? :D:dance:

Whatever I have, seems to have served me rather well :cool:

I do, however, wish one of my personalities liked to clean house.:D

Amethyst

Do you have multiple personality disorder?:D

Whatever I have, seems to have served me rather well :cool:

I do, however, wish one of my personalities liked to clean house.:D

Amethyst

Depending on your current MTBI you might be CEO material and in that case you can assign the housework to your DH:LOL:

INTJ that time but sometimes I come out as ISTJ. DW is ISTJ also which is why her sister sometimes refers to us as "two peas in a pod".

Interesting that poll results, although early, are overwhelmingly INTJ on this board.

No matter which test I take, it seems like I always come out INTJ. The questions on this test seemed a little screwy to me, so I wondered if I would come out something different.

Nope. INTJ again.

I've always been an ISTP, and worked with a group of ENTJ people. Early retirement was an easy choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

INTJ on this test. Over the years I tend to vacillate between INTJ and ENTJ - and if you look at the I portion - I'm pretty close to the dividing line.

I'm fine in social situations, not afraid to speak up... but need that home/down time to recharge.

Interesting that poll results, although early, are overwhelmingly INTJ on this board.

I was reflecting on this as well. According to the site INTJ is the rarest of the personality traits. I would say early retirement is rare as well. A possible connection? All of that innate over analysis spilling over into our financial planning maybe? :)

I was reflecting on this as well. According to the site INTJ is the rarest of the personality traits. I would say early retirement is rare as well. A possible connection? All of that innate over analysis spilling over into our financial planning maybe? :)

I suspect you're correct about that. INTJs are about 2% and ISTJs are I think about 4% so that does make them outliers.

And then on the board we express amazement at some of the weird things people do with money, not realizing that they're normal and we're weird.:LOL:

I recall doing this in the past and coming out as a INTJ or something close to that...but this time I got INFP..

You are one of the Diplomats - an empathic and idealistic individual who enjoys exploring interesting ideas and prizes morality. You are known for your poetic nature, intuitive skills and pure, childlike enthusiasm. Above you will find a brief overview of your personality traits - proceed to the type overview to learn much more about your personality type. Prepare to be impressed.

Trust me no one around work would consider me to be a diplomat...or very poetic..

I have been told that "You're not trying to be difficult, it comes natually" :dance:

Depending on your current MTBI you might be CEO material and in that case you can assign the housework to your DH

DW had 'outsourced' that task some time ago (with my consent), and while that might not be very LBYM'ish it is one of her few indulgences so I tend to overlook it in order to maintain a harmonious relationship. :flowers:

You too? :LOL:

I didn't follow the link to the test, because I have had Myers-Briggs testing done multiple times and I am always INTJ.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom