Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-24-2017, 02:00 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Anyone tried GNUCASH?
I have tried Gnucash (linux) and used it in parallel with my Quicken 2010 for about 6 months. It works fine but it is a totally different environment from Quicken and there is a definite learning curve.

Unlike Quicken which uses accounts (i.e checking/savings/investment accounts) and income/expense categories, Gnucash sets up accounts for everything as in a true double entry accounting system with a chart of accounts.

After my 6 month trial period I decided to continue using Quicken 2010 because of the extensive data I've accumulated (been using Q since 1992) which turned out to be difficult to clean up once imported to Gnucash and the wealth of reports available in Quicken which are difficult to replicate in Gnucash. Gnucash has standard income/expense, net worth and investment reports but does not have easy to use customizing features like Quicken does.

At this point I intend to continue using this version of Quicken as long as Linux supports it thru the WINE software that allows the use of some windows programs in Linux.

Just to clarify a point on Gnucash - although it will import Quicken data my database was so large (over 100 mb accumulated since 1992) that the import clean up process was overwhelming. I suppose it would be simpler and easier with a much smaller Quicken database
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2017, 02:42 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvalley View Post
I can understand that...I work in IT security but unless the data at home lives on a computer that's not in any way connected to the network or the Internet there's no difference and likely less secure behind a consumer grade firewall, no intrusion detection system and potentially unencrypted data at rest. Also, Quicken is connecting and pulling data down from the banks hence the data is already out there. So while I get it I think the reality is quite the opposite
Here's the thing though. Quicken is a much bigger target. So these big hacker groups and state-sponsored hackers are more likely to go after the big whales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
There may be ways to manually get around the sunset issue by importing. For stock prices google finance portfolio has the option to download an OFX file. For transactions most financial sites have an option to download OFX files ( Schwab does not ) or CSV data files. there are conversion tool for CSV to QIF/OFX.
I wouldn't assume that. I couldn't even import OFX files into a new version of Quicken 2017 for Mac unless I entered the login credentials for that institution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickA5 View Post
Yep, I hate "subscriptions" as much as the next guy, but I have a hard time believing people will jump through major hoops just to keep from paying $60 a year. I spent more than that taking the extended family out for ice cream last week and didn't even think twice. But, I get it. I'm not sure why something like this bothers me so much. I'll pay the ransom. I like Quicken too much to stop now.
That could be true but if this move alienates enough of the user base, they may not have enough sales to sustain development. They're promising all kinds of things but will the revenues support them?
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 04:13 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by wenglish View Post
While I will willingly give Microsoft ~$100 a year for access to Office, I'm going to find it hard to swallow giving Quicken $50 a year for a product that only has become worse with time.
I doubt I'll go with the Quicken subscription model and I certainly get a lot more utility from Quicken then I do from Office. Don't see the need to subscribe to Office since they still offer non-subscription models for a little over $100 that come with a 10 year 'end of life'. Open Office is free and seems to get good reviews, I'll likely check that out when my Office 2010 expires in a few years.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 04:37 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

For those of you that keep Q* to get the online price updates for your Portfolios, a MUCH better Portfolio Management tool (IMHO) is Fund Manager. It's $99 (I think) ONE TIME, and you don't "have" to upgrade every couple of years.

Oh, and it's the "old fashioned" software that you BUY, not rent via a hostage..errr...subscription..model.

Really nice and very full featured program for investment management. I'm still running the 2014 version and have not "had" to upgrade yet as it does everything I want and then some..
24601NoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:04 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Just as an FYI : I purchased a subscription today with the intent of deciding in a year if I want to continue the subscription or just use the limited features. Quicken automatically sets your account to auto-renew at whatever price is current at the time of renewal. You could change every account setting online except for the auto-renew option. To remove auto-renew you have to call customer service which resulted in a very long wait to reach a representative then the representative put me on hold for several minutes before finally taking my account off of the auto-renew status.
"So we will spend 7 trillion on the military over the next decade, assuming we don't start any wars. I for one am very tired of paying for a bunch of overgrown boys to play soldier and then be told there is no money left for stuff that matters."

- brewer12345 on 5 October 2014

Snidely Whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:21 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Pretty shady.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:12 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
While I will willingly give Microsoft ~$100 a year for access to Office, I'm going to find it hard to swallow giving Quicken $50 a year for a product that only has become worse with time.

I am definitely going to sit this one out until my current version sunsets, and then I will probably pony up (because, like some others here, I haven't found a good replacement).
When I bought my new laptop in January I was in Florida and did not have ready access to my Office CDs so I have been using LibreOffice.... my spreadsheet, word processing and presentation needs are modest now that I am retired and LibreOffice works well for me.... and its free!

I think Quicken is killing the golden goose with its subscription model but time will tell... I'm hoping that if I don't sign on that they will contact me with a "special offer" for long-time customers but if not, then cie la vie.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:53 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm of two minds about the subscription. Sure, I hate the annual payment. But I've already bitten the subscription bullet for Microsoft Office and the Adobe Photography Plan. If this will give Quicken the resources to support the software properly, which Intuit did not for years (just ask Mac users), I'm for it.

But for me, it depends if Quicken Mac now supports the ability to include or exclude transfers on budgets and reports in Quicken for Mac. This has been a shameful omission on previous versions.
Smitty700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 10:30 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snidely Whiplash View Post
To remove auto-renew you have to call customer service which resulted in a very long wait to reach a representative then the representative put me on hold for several minutes before finally taking my account off of the auto-renew status.
That right there tells me all I need to know to sit this out as long as I can. A phone? Seriously? From a company/software product that is so highly connected to the internet and electronic transaction world? That's a decision that was purposeful and disgraceful. What is a company afraid of that doesn't allow for easy cancellation of their subscription?
Jerry1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 10:44 PM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

I run a checking account and a budget on Quicken for Mac 2007. Meets my needs and I can't stand the new and "improved" user interface they started with Q Essentials in 2012. Even though they officially ended Q2007 in 2012, it still works fine and I'll just keep plugging along.

I've supplemented with Mint since 2011. Together they seem to keep me on track.

Lazy Portfolio Investor:
AA: 55% Stocks
35% Bonds
10% Cash
NanoSour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 06:05 AM   #51

I donít like the subscription model, but will probably sign on once my Quicken 2016 sunsets. Downloading and matching transactions makes balancing the accounts so much easier / faster that it would be silly for me to not pay the thirty bucks per year. My time is worth at least that much.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 06:25 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
There may be ways to manually get around the sunset issue by importing. For stock prices google finance portfolio has the option to download an OFX file. For transactions most financial sites have an option to download OFX files ( Schwab does not ) or CSV data files. there are conversion tool for CSV to QIF/OFX.
Or you can do it manually as I have been doing since April with my 2014 version. It takes 15 minutes or so for me to input investment transactions and update quotes at the end of the month.
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 06:27 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snidely Whiplash View Post
Just as an FYI : I purchased a subscription today with the intent of deciding in a year if I want to continue the subscription or just use the limited features. Quicken automatically sets your account to auto-renew at whatever price is current at the time of renewal. You could change every account setting online except for the auto-renew option. To remove auto-renew you have to call customer service which resulted in a very long wait to reach a representative then the representative put me on hold for several minutes before finally taking my account off of the auto-renew status.
It's reported by a user on Quicken's support forum that Quicken has made change. The user reported that since installing Q18 the auto renew was set to on, but when he logged into his Quicken account this morning the auto renew is now set to "off". I do not have Q18 so can't validate but maybe someone else here can.
bobandsherry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 09:31 AM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

I have Quicken 2018. You are offered a month free when you turn on auto-renew. When you log in to your quicken.com account there's a link for turning off auto-renew, but indeed it then asks you to call. This is, sadly, becoming more and more common with the intent to convince you to stay.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:35 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
Or you can do it manually as I have been doing since April with my 2014 version. It takes 15 minutes or so for me to input investment transactions and update quotes at the end of the month.
Maybe I'll go to that model. My daily update of quotes is too much anyway. Just noise. Not necessary.

I have less than 15 securities to update. Once a month, not a big deal. I've done transactions manually since I started doing them that way in 1993 and never got out of the habit when download became available.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 10:24 AM   #56
Dryer sheet aficionado

I am pretty picky about who I give permission to suck money from my credit card (and never from my bank account). Quicken is definitely one of the companies I would not trust to do the right thing (along with Comcast, Vonage, DirecTV, etc.).

They probably make you call to cancel also.
wenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 11:38 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Maybe I'll go to that model. My daily update of quotes is too much anyway. Just noise. Not necessary.

I have less than 15 securities to update. Once a month, not a big deal. I've done transactions manually since I started doing them that way in 1993 and never got out of the habit when download became available.
I actually stopped downloading transactions for a couple of years and was only updating quotes until April. With all the hacking and cyber security issues I only provide my user IDs and passwords to my banks and investment institutions but never to a 3rd party.
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 11:59 AM   #58

Quote:
I am pretty picky about who I give permission to suck money from my credit card (and never from my bank account). Quicken is definitely one of the companies I would not trust to do the right thing (along with Comcast, Vonage, DirecTV, etc.).

They probably make you call to cancel also.
That's why I love my BofA credit card with Shopsafe, which allows you to generate time & amount-limited CC #s.

Currently using the above for an Adobe subscription for my kid's photography class.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 12:03 PM   #59

When the autodownloads stop in 2019 for those using 2017 versions, could we just not DL the QIF files instead of the QFX files from our financial institutions?
Old 10-26-2017, 12:09 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
When the autodownloads stop in 2019 for those using 2017 versions, could we just not DL the QIF files instead of the QFX files from our financial institutions?
They're going to close that "loophole."

Tags
quicken 2018