Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-20-2021, 10:50 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Now to get bill gates on board at the same lunch....
Maybe i just have to learn how to play bridge & they need a 4th.

I worry that if Robbie won he would have to move from his house....and he just redid his beautiful backyard! What a hard choice
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2021, 11:01 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

I wish someone would win both powerball and mega millions. What a colossal waste of time of everyone dreaming about what they would do with the money. Sooner someone wins, the sooner people we can all stop hearing about it.
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 11:08 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
I’m in the “$2 worth of mental math and daydreams” camp.

A few years ago I saw an article that suggested to write a list of the first ten things you would buy if you won the big lottery. Then list the next ten things. For me, #8 on the list was some new wool socks.

I didn’t win the big lottery but I bought myself some new wool socks.
I can't be the only one that would like to hear the other 9 things on the list if you feel like sharing.
Mr. Tightwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 01:14 PM   #44

The thing is that the posters in general, are knowledgeable about finances. Google "Lottery Winners' Problems" and see the nightmares these people have caused themselves.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 01:25 PM   #45

I told DW if we won we would have to move since our house situated in a vulnerable location. However, she still bought a ticket even though she loves our house. I don't understand.
Furthermore, winning would involve much more effort than I'm prepared to expend. In short I've got enough so leave me alone. ��
Old 01-20-2021, 02:00 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We buy some tickets; we're not spenders, so it's no budget biggee.

Our chuckles about imaginary wins primarily pertain to surprise giveaways - "Grab the passports and the grandkids, brush up on your Polish/Australian/whatever, and we'll meet you at the airport"

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 02:18 PM   #47
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
We buy some tickets; we're not spenders, so it's no budget biggee.

Our chuckles about imaginary wins primarily pertain to surprise giveaways - "Grab the passports and the grandkids, brush up on your Polish/Australian/whatever, and we'll meet you at the airport"
You’d travel with all them? My fantasy lottery win is more like the kids saying “have you heard from dad? He sent a check a couple of months ago and hasn’t answered any of my texts or emails since then. I wonder where he is ...”
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 03:49 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
You’d travel with all them? My fantasy lottery win is more like the kids saying “have you heard from dad?
Ah, but I've never been, nor will I ever be, a parent. I'm an 'Opa' with five granddaughters, and I'd like to take them to countries they've never dreamed of, and likely never even heard of.

To introduce them to the world would be an absolute hoot.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 05:17 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Tightwad View Post
I can't be the only one that would like to hear the other 9 things on the list if you feel like sharing.

I won’t bore everyone. How exciting can the list be, if #8 is wool socks?
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 07:47 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Some states require winners to be public knowledge. Logic being if it is public the people know it is not a scam.

Wonder if it would be possible to gift the ticket to charity with understanding charity makes donor beneficiary of an annuity.

In reality might be better odds I run into both Betty White and Elle McPherson at the gas station while contributing to the Mathematically Challenged tax aka Lottery.
Old 01-20-2021, 08:05 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenZ71 View Post
Some states require winners to be public knowledge. Logic being if it is public the people know it is not a scam.

Wonder if it would be possible to gift the ticket to charity with understanding charity makes donor beneficiary of an annuity.
Someone may have already mentioned this, and it's certainly been in another lottery thread. The solution to anonymity is to keep quiet when you find out you won. Then legally change your name, and go pick up the prize wearing a decent disguise, and talk as little as possible. Go home, and change your name back. Or to another name if you really want to disappear, because your friends and family will know something's up if you start wearing really nice wool socks all the time.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 09:58 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Syour friends and family will know something's up if you start wearing really nice wool socks all the time.
Out-to-Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 03:14 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
No Problem.

Half a billion, buy gated mansion for 50 million, armed guards, limo, chefs and maids.
Heh, heh, keep in mind that all those paid employees (especially the armed guards) may be just as jealous of you as the "man on the street." Just sayin', so YMMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigley View Post
Whatever I wanted to do for the rest of my life!

Mike
I'm doing that now and it doesn't take anything close to half a Bil, but YMMV as well.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 06:34 AM   #54
Full time employment: Posting here.

Woohoo!! Someone won the powerball. Someone just needs to win the mega millions and we can all resume our lives as normal again.
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 07:16 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
I wish someone would win both powerball and mega millions. What a colossal waste of time of everyone dreaming about what they would do with the money. Sooner someone wins, the sooner people we can all stop hearing about it.
Quote:
Woohoo!! Someone won the powerball. Someone just needs to win the mega millions and we can all resume our lives as normal again.
I don't understand. I had zero idea there was even a powerball going on until this thread. It's consumed exactly 30 seconds of my life.

And yes, buying a $2 ticket 2 or 3 times a year, to daydream, when, in my state, some of the profits go to education, isn't a bad deal at all! My dreaming wasted nothing at its expense, it's just ideas in my head. No one else had to hear about it.

But I'm glad you sound relieved...
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 10:35 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Nobody forces you to read this thread, you can put it on ignore.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:40 AM   #57

Quote:
I volunteer to win tomorrow night. That way you don't have to hear about it anymore.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 10:51 AM   #58

Quote:
Someone may have already mentioned this, and it's certainly been in another lottery thread. The solution to anonymity is to keep quiet when you find out you won. Then legally change your name, and go pick up the prize wearing a decent disguise, and talk as little as possible. Go home, and change your name back. Or to another name if you really want to disappear, because your friends and family will know something's up if you start wearing really nice wool socks all the time.
Don't worry when you leave the parking lot yours will not be the only car.
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 10:55 AM   #59

Quote:
In my State you are required to have your picture taken and it's released to the media so even if you change your name there will be a lot of people that know you won.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 10:57 AM   #60

I have watched all those lottery shows I could. For some reason I love those shows. I have thought about it a lot. I live in a state you must be known. I think it would force you to travel all the time to get away from certain people. I laugh at people at work that would tell me they will keeping working and not move if they won the lottery. What a joke.
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote