Blow That Dough - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
The new mattress in the "Captain's Quarters" Same size as the old, but unused.

52353964548_2b28bd1bda_c.jpg

The Admiral is still working on the bedding - :)

Is that a foam floatation aide?

Yeah, when the boat is sinking, it will float us up to that hatch in the deck so we can escape.

Today we got the bedding, sheets, pillow cases, blanket and comforter. The "marina campover" will happen soon.

We're taking our show on the road in a couple of months!:facepalm: Just working out our act here in a friendly environment.:D

Don't miss us. We're gonna call ourselves the FIRE'd comics!:LOL:

LOL!! I'll be watching for it.

I moved my son into his first off campus housing this week. I'd promised him a costco run to stock him up. Lets just say the dough was blown ($700). Then we still needed stuff costco didn't have - so walmart got $200 more (broom, dry/wet mop, cleaning supplies, and just misc stuff he needs.).

It was an expensive trip (despite the fact that we were camping while up there.)

I moved my son into his first off campus housing this week. I'd promised him a costco run to stock him up. Lets just say the dough was blown ($700). Then we still needed stuff costco didn't have - so walmart got $200 more (broom, dry/wet mop, cleaning supplies, and just misc stuff he needs.).

It was an expensive trip (despite the fact that we were camping while up there.)

Yep, kids are expensive. College kids are outrageously expensive. Just think of the raise you will get when your DS graduates!

Yeah, expensive. Dear Step Daughter has graduated (with honors) from UCLA and living in a $2700/mo apartment in LA and hasn't found a job yet.

Guess who's paying the rent?

Yeah, expensive. Dear Step Daughter has graduated (with honors) from UCLA and living in a $2700/mo apartment in LA and hasn't found a job yet.

Just curious what kind of degree doesn't lead to a job offer for graduates of UCLA (with honor.) But, to answer your question, I'm guessing it's coming out of your boat fund. $2700 will still buy a fair amount of diesel. Hope this is very short term.

Yeah, me too.

Or she will soon be living in her bedroom here with us.

And I know she doesn't want that. Failure. Moving back in with the "rents" The horror.

Just curious what kind of degree doesn't lead to a job offer for graduates of UCLA (with honor.) But, to answer your question, I'm guessing it's coming out of your boat fund. $2700 will still buy a fair amount of diesel. Hope this is very short term.

Believe me, there are lots of degrees in colleges to graduate with (honors mean little) that you can't find a good job with. Two of my wife's grandkids have done that successfully. :D

Believe me, there are lots of degrees in colleges to graduate with (honors mean little) that you can't find a good job with. Two of my wife's grandkids have done that successfully. :D

Like the acquaintance in my service fraternity at university who took drama. He was driving cab a year after graduation. Kinda sad really. I do understand that we're not all cut out for STEM degrees and c*reers.

Probably not a BTD moment for many but pulled the trigger at Amazon for a new big screen, (85" Sony X91J, 2021 model tv), in the family room along with a decorative 60" linear electric fireplace. I will be building out the fireplace surround and bookcases to flank each side of the area.

My last kid moved back in with us...at least I'm no longer paying his rent.

He owes Uncle Sam for covering his tuition & must attend several months of National Guard training that he couldn't get scheduled until late this year.

After that he will start with his civilian employer next spring.

My old house has a boiler system for heating. It works great, but there are no air ducts, so AC can't be added to this system.

I've been using a window AC unit for close to 40 years in this house. It basically cools the bedroom, and it is also very noisy.

I've been looking at mini split AC systems for awhile, but I don't want some big ugly cassette module hanging on the wall of my bedroom and living room.

I just had a new Mitsubishi ceiling mounted system put into my upstairs bedroom ceiling. The cassette is in the attic, and it looks like a large vent on the ceiling. I think it is going to work out very well. It is powerful, quiet and very efficient.

Oh yes, it was also very expensive. BTD.

JP

I’m having trouble with this one.

Resolved to BTD by always flying First Class. Living in Hawaii, mainland flights are always pretty long.

Looking at going to Vegas. The one way nonstop on Hawaiian is $2,055, but only $255 for Economy. Even with Econ upgrade for more legroom would still be under $400. Southwest has a direct for $345, but I’ve never flown SW.

I know I should be trying to BTD, but my tightwad upbringing is not allowing me to book First. Figure I’ll BTD on the savings at the Craps table. Lol.

Resolved to BTD by always flying First Class. Living in Hawaii, mainland flights are always pretty long.

Looking at going to Vegas. The one way nonstop on Hawaiian is $2,055, but only $255 for Economy. Even with Econ upgrade for more legroom would still be under $400. Southwest has a direct for $345, but I’ve never flown SW.

I know I should be trying to BTD, but my tightwad upbringing is not allowing me to book First. Figure I’ll BTD on the savings at the Craps table. Lol.

I don't blame you. I couldn't get myself to do it either..

Ah, yes. The ninth Island of Hawaii. Most folks don't know it, but we Hawaiians vacation in Vegas more than any other destination. It's so popular that Zippys (a Hawaiian fast food chain) has outlets in Vegas.

I've mentioned before that we recently discovered econ plus. It's only about 4 more inches of room - but that's a lot. It's the sweet spot for us as we can't seem to BTD for 1st class. Good luck in Vegas!

We have decided to fly first class when we are on an overnight flight (like to Europe) so that we can sleep better, but not for domestic. We would rather spend that $ on something else.

Bought an older 35 foot motorhome last year, worst time to buy price wise. Absolutely love driving the open roads and camping along the Pacific Ocean. Been dreaming about doing this since the 1970's.

Recent collateral damage:
New front tires:. $1000
Replace broken slide out room hardware: 7 grand!

This is just the tip of the iceberg. Really BTD on the RV this year!

Bought an older 35 foot motorhome last year, worst time to buy price wise. Absolutely love driving the open roads and camping along the Pacific Ocean. Been dreaming about doing this since the 1970's.

Yeah, I've heard folks buy RVs for the flexibility and to have a "home" away from home - not to save money. YMMV

Although I can't handle the size and weight of a motorhome I still have fond memories of driving and camping around the US and Canada during the 70's in a VW bus. Best way to see the country. Glad you are getting the chance to follow your dream. 50 years was a long time to wait.

Cheers!

Although I can't handle the size and weight of a motorhome I still have fond memories of driving and camping around the US and Canada during the 70's in a VW bus. Best way to see the country. Glad you are getting the chance to follow your dream. 50 years was a long time to wait.

Cheers!

Agree, I lived on the beach on Route 1 for a month to finish up my semester, of school when the lease expired. Showers at school, and a accommodating GF made it a nice experience.

Bought an annual park pass and traveled cross the US in my '62 VW 36hp bus. What a long strange trip it's been.

In regards to fly Southwest, I would think they would fly their largest plane, a 737-800. Below is a link to their seating chart. I am 6'5" and my long legs demand leg room for trips. The best seats, I think, are the 6 exit row seats.
As you may know, Southwest assigns your boarding passes in A,B, and C groups. The A group boarding passes are numbered 15-60, and 1-15 are for their "business class" and upgrades. My understanding and experience is the earlier you buy your seats, the A group 15-60 fills up first. But I have snagged an exit row seat in the C group on a short flight. Buy the business class seat early. Another thing is not to change plans, as that puts you at the end of the line, that's how I got into the C group.

https://airportix.com/southwest-seat-map/boeing-737-800/

Yeah, I've heard folks buy RVs for the flexibility and to have a "home" away from home - not to save money. YMMV

It's absolutely true that RVing is just a different way to vacation, not a way to save money. If people ask about how much it costs, I say that you're better off buying a new Lexus and staying at the Four Seasons. If you include ALL costs, this isn't entirely unrealistic. Maybe a truck and trailer, assuming you already have a truck, would be much cheaper, but a big motorhome is just a money pit. Still it's all about the lifestyle, heck, just like ER!

Cheers!

Yep, a long time to wait. It's a scary amount of money, but it's clear we're running of time to anything reasonably demanding or active. RVing can seem easy because you "just drive around a bit, then sit around in camp", but the rig maintenance and trip prep and cleanup is a mind boggling amount of w*rk and $$$, even just to drive and sit.

We finally moved to Arizona after dreaming of moving out west all my life. Now we enjoy the beautiful desert winters and camp on CA beaches as much as possible given the scarce reservations in oceanside campground that can accomdate our 35 ft motorhome. Just love falling asleep to the waves, breakfast on the beach, then maybe a long bike ride, ocean view all the way!

Gas is the big expense with motor homes if you are traveling a long distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom