Blow That Dough - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Doc who did my root canal told me gold crowns are WAY better, and I read as much on the web later.

-ERD50

Thanks, I'll specify gold if the tooth can be re-crowned.

If not it looks like it's implant time...appointment in an hour or so...

EDIT: now I get to go see an endodontist to see if the pain is due to an abscess at the root or bruxism during sleep.

Last edited:
Question on the gold crowns.....when you pass, do you will them to somebody or do they go into the next life with you in the coffin? Or, if cremated, are they taken out before the roasting, and if so, who gets them?

Question on the gold crowns.....when you pass, do you will them to somebody or do they go into the next life with you in the coffin? Or, if cremated, are they taken out before the roasting, and if so, who gets them?

Not much of an issue. My dentist has replaced a few old gold crowns for me, and he just gives me the old one with an envelope I can use to send it in to a guy who recycles them. As I recall, the most I ever got for one was two or three bucks.

Not much of an issue. My dentist has replaced a few old gold crowns for me, and he just gives me the old one with an envelope I can use to send it in to a guy who recycles them. As I recall, the most I ever got for one was two or three bucks.

Gold is $1,727/ounce these days!:D

I got $65 for mine.

Gold is $1,727/ounce these days!:D

When my mom was a little girl, it was common to extract gold teeth to help pay for a funeral. In modern times, thankfully, that practice has gone by the wayside (at least according to a friend who is a funeral director.)

Having said that, I checked a couple of sites which suggested that an average gold crown might be worth around $40. Keep in mind that gold is worth over $50/gram. Naturally, less than pure gold (roughly 50%) will be viciously downgraded by your local gold dealer. They're gonna low-ball you on the off chance your crown is 40% rather than 60% gold. AND there is a significant charge for removing the base metals from the gold. YMMV

The bed delivery guys looked at the boat and resigned. Mattress taken back to shop.

Wimps. There is an equally large mattress in there now. Which they saw. How did that get in the boat?

I know fairy dust. Lame pukes didn't want to work hard I guess. Missed a $100 tip.

And then the warehouse person wanted to sell me a "flexible" mattress unseen. Yeah right, try that with some stupid person.

On to plan B.

The bed delivery guys looked at the boat and resigned. Mattress taken back to shop.

Wimps. There is an equally large mattress in there now. Which they saw. How did that get in the boat?

I know fairy dust. Lame pukes didn't want to work hard I guess. Missed a $100 tip.

And then the warehouse person wanted to sell me a "flexible" mattress unseen. Yeah right, try that with some stupid person.

On to plan B.

Wow, I totally would have not seen that one coming. Sorry about that.

Well took delivery yesterday and did 157 miles of driving today, a 100+ mi loop to a family event, and then another smaller loop. Probably 75% off highway driving, backroads, moderate hills, 30-55mph speed limits. Then some highway driving for 25 miles or so, some in 75 mph zones, setting the cruise control at 77mph. And a couple "play with the paddle shifters" floored pedal highway entrance ramp launches, and one "old person" power pass. A bit of really slow city-esque stop and go driving where I saw the mpg really drop.

Overall, the entire day of driving, the MFI reported 35.1 mpg average. Did a reset on the calc in another screen after the city type driving, last 110 mi saw 35.6 mpg. I was impressed. Lightly loaded car yes, but overall pretty efficient. I found that the C300 has a regenerative braking system (also to pull down speed going down hill under cruise control without down shifting) and one of the MFI screens show you your "bonus" miles under regenerative braking, I think it said bonus 49 miles.

A real joy to drive this one, even though our 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee is nothing to sneeze at either. Will be interesting to see what kind of MPG averages we get in long haul road trips this coming winter with a pretty fully loaded car. Most impressed, even on the test drive last week, was the steering response. I bet the lock to lock steering is small, it darts as steered when needed with almost no existent body roll, and we pushed it on off ramps 10-20mph more than what would normally feel "comfortable" and it tracked like it was on rails.

Came back home to South Central NH today from a 160 mile drive from Cape Cod, 3 hours, mostly highway driving on cruise control set at 72mph, but also 30+ mi of driving on the coastal Cape 25-30mph, 30 miles on backroads and maybe 15 miles of nearly stop and go crawl speed highway traffic driving, and pulled in the driveway at 37.9mpg for that trip.

Not bad for a 255hp sedan (2021 Mercedes C300). We are amazed.

On to plan B.

What!!
They didn't do the job to remove old mattress and move in new one! WOW!

On to plan B.

Last time we moved (back here in the heartland) we hired a couple of football players from the local university. They twisted and curled the king mattress around corners and up stairs - never even considered NOT making it work. Sorry for the delay in your sleep-aboard plans.

Yeah, they started complaining the minute they got there. The lead guy was taking pictures and sending to the boss and then the boss called and wanted to sell me a memory foam they had on the truck.

Total dweebs. No creativity. Just do the standard home delivery please.

Done with Mattress Firm forever.

don't blame you!
Was your new mattress a heavy latex foam? Those are a real bastige to work with, but give up, no way.
We got one of those and my wife loves to hate it. It does not release her easily. " stay" it says " just a little longer".

It was a coil spring/foam hybrid. And the one in there is even thicker and very comfy. I laid on it but wifey won't.

It was a coil spring/foam hybrid. And the one in there is even thicker and very comfy. I laid on it but wifey won't.

Brief used mattress story: DW and I bought top of the line mattress in 1970. It was a $300 mattress (posture pedic?) Because models were changing, we got it for $200 which was still a fortune in 1970. So we used it for 30 years. It had one minor little cat-booboo on it but otherwise looked new. We sold it for $100

Oh, does your DW sleep on hotel/motel beds?:facepalm:

Last edited:
You would think the heat in the boat in the Delta during the past 10 days, would kill anything that might be on a mattress.

You would think the heat in the boat in the Delta during the past 10 days, would kill anything that might be on a mattress.

Heh, heh, hate to tell you this, but killing most bugs (including eggs) requires heat like a clothes dryer on high for 30 minutes or more. (Pesticides are probably better.)

I just spent mucho dinero for a new build in Eastern Tennessee. I've been trying to make the move from Illinois to Tennessee for 6 years. Lots of life happened to put the brakes on moving, but I finally made the decision along with my SO. The build starts in November and will finish 05-23. I have been in a new area of Illinois for over a year, so it won't be much of a shock to move where I don't know anyone(already that way here). It is exciting and a little scary at the same time.

VW

Good luck on getting the build done from Nov. to May in E. Tenn. Usually too many suprises pop up in weather down here. I hope they make it and welcome to the South!;)

Went back to the mattress store and we're going to try for delivery #2. Guy was very upset with the delivery people also. Tole me a tale of previous delivery people putting a mattress on a dingy and rowing it out to the boat. Ah, the good old days when people weren't afraid to work.

So ho told me to go and take a picture of the one in there with a tape on it so he can show the warehouse people it can be done and also tell them to remove the old one first so they can see how to get the new one in.

New delivery set for Saturday.

Went back to the mattress store and we're going to try for delivery #2. Guy was very upset with the delivery people also. Tole me a tale of previous delivery people putting a mattress on a dingy and rowing it out to the boat. Ah, the good old days when people weren't afraid to work.

So ho told me to go and take a picture of the one in there with a tape on it so he can show the warehouse people it can be done and also tell them to remove the old one first so they can see how to get the new one in.

New delivery set for Saturday.

Best luck. Pulling for you, RobbieB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom