Class of 2019

Retired on May 1, 2019 at age 55 after 32 years with mega-corp. Today consisted of yard care and a couple hours on my bicycle kicking up dirt and gravel. Currently sitting in the jacuzzi at the local health club enjoying a beautiful Tuesday evening under cool California skies with my lovely wife (class of 2018 graduate) at my side.

Life doesn’t get much sweeter than this!

Cheers to all my Class of 2019 brothers and sisters. Hope you are ... or will be soon ... living the early retirement dream.

Well, I did it. Last week was a string of retirement parties, lunches with co-workers, and a weird feeling of being a visitor watching the natives deal with schedules, milestones, and budgets.

I spent a few minutes on the last day looking around at the place that has occupied my days for a quarter-century. I shook hands one final time with my boss, wished him well and walked out to the parking lot.

It was weird, driving out on the final day, knowing I'd never be back.

So I'm retired now, and making plans. Lots of stuff to see, and now (to paraphrase a Twilight Zone episode) there's Time Enough at Last.

Best wishes to those who will follow us into retirement this year.

Congratulations!!

Well, I did it. Last week was a string of retirement parties, lunches with co-workers, and a weird feeling of being a visitor watching the natives deal with schedules, milestones, and budgets.

I spent a few minutes on the last day looking around at the place that has occupied my days for a quarter-century. I shook hands one final time with my boss, wished him well and walked out to the parking lot.

It was weird, driving out on the final day, knowing I'd never be back.

So I'm retired now, and making plans. Lots of stuff to see, and now (to paraphrase a Twilight Zone episode) there's Time Enough at Last.

Best wishes to those who will follow us into retirement this year.

I did the same, looked around and tried to feel the "last" vibes...and finally walked away. It felt weird for me, too.
Is your reference to the Twilight Zone "Time Enough at Last" referring to the episode where the fellow was in the bank vault when "the bomb" went off, and when he finally realized that he had all the time in the world to do his favorite thing ever, to read and read and read...and his glasses got broken? That still gives me the chills!

Joining class of 2019. I graduated last Friday. I told my tale in the "I Quit" thread, but I thought I should register here as a member of the class of 2019.

My last day at mega Corp. was February 4th when I retired at the ripe old age of 54 years old. I reran all of my numbers on Christmas Eve during the depths of the correction last year and figured if things were good with those numbers then it can only get better. My how lucky we’ve all been in the market since then.

I’m staying busy with upkeep, golf and vacations. My iPhone calendar keeps me on time. Heading to Spain and Portugal next week! Happy Fourth of July everyone! ��Here’s to a great second half and beyond!

Carpediem is officially a member of the class of 2019! :dance:

I was supposed to work today (my last) but the Mega geniuses revoked my access so I was unable to sign on. Mr. Manager confirmed I was still active payroll-wise so I'll still get paid for today. All Mega owned equipment has been dropped off at FedEx for return (I [-]work [/-]used to work from home). Let freedom ring!

I was supposed to work today (my last) but the Mega geniuses revoked my access so I was unable to sign on. Mr. Manager confirmed I was still active payroll-wise so I'll still get paid for today. All Mega owned equipment has been dropped off at FedEx for return (I [-]work [/-]used to work from home). Let freedom ring!

congrats man - i'm a little envious. my last day looks like 12/31/19......

Good show!

Okay. I have a date. Unless there is some major catastrophe, my last day of w*rk is July 26. Fifteen work days left.

I'm now a month into this retirement thing. It's awesome.

My last days were kind of weird. I've been working from home full time for the last 3 or so years. Our corporate office moved a couple of years ago from just-barely-commutable on the edge of the Big City to center of the city with all the traffic that entails. So when the office moved, I gave up the cube I rarely was in, and said my goodbyes in my head then. I knew I'd never be going into the city office.

I've always jumped around in jobs too, so there was no "25 years in the same place" to say good bye to. This job was 6 1/2 years. The company made a significant downward turn a couple of years ago, so the people who were capable and smart for the most part had already left, so there was really no one to say goodbye to, other than the teams I worked with directly every day. Because a lot of people continue to leave, and there was yet another organization change, my boss asked me to keep it quiet. So there were no parties or cards or anything. So my last day was mostly just like every other Friday except for signing off at lunchtime.

Word is spreading through the office. Two going-away lunches are planned, one this week for the small US portion of the team I lead, and one on my last day for all members of the department who are located here in the US. My spouse says to graciously thank them for covering my lunches rather than trying to insist on paying for my own. I'm a little conflicted by the celebrations given how when there's a layoff people instantaneously vanish without a trace. But I'll get over it.

I don't think I went into this part of the decision to retire, yet: The decision to retire (and move) came about due to a number of factors beyond just the desire to retire and the fact that the numbers seem like that could work out. The absolutely horrendous work situation and abominable situation in the job market were a very big part of the decision, but family and church also played roles:

With regard to family, my spouse's aunts and uncles live three hours from where we are now, but a number of them have passed away in the five years we've been here. There are almost none left. My brothers are up north (no way we're moving back up to snowland) but the rest of my family lives in Florida, so there's some push in that direction just on that account.

Church was a much smaller contributor to the decision to retire than was work; yet, it still play a role. We replaced our minister about three years ago and the new minister is terrible. We've lost about 15% of our membership over the last two years due to how he's botched his interactions with the existing leaders.

Two and half years ago, he buddied-up to the board members and got them to approve his plan to supplant the council of committee chairs with a small council of young, new members (all at the church less than a year) who would guide the church's ministries. (I swear, I'm not making this up.) It was idiocy, of course, and outright disrespectful to people who were effectively the pillars of the church, but it was also unfair to the poor, unsuspecting young people who were put in a position they couldn't possibly do well, given that they didn't have any idea how things worked, and due to the pressures of work and family, couldn't possibly spend the time to learn. The system crashed and burned, of course, and we leaders have been trying to rebuild the church for the last year.

However, while my spouse and I have been working hard on our respective ministries (worship and membership), the minister has still been making messes. He sees himself as an activist and supports the destructive attitudes of some of the more extreme members of the congregation who, instead of supporting what they support (best) or at least opposing what they oppose (good), they oppose support for what they support if that support isn't as pure or as strong as their own (bad). Think: Elizabeth Warren attacking Joe Biden rather than Donald Trump. We aren't extremists - we're moderates. So we realized this church was being transformed into something too extreme for us.

While before it might have been a reason to stay, given how church was damaged and is getting more damaged, church was certainly not a reason to stay any longer.

Last edited:
I have filled out my last Time Sheet ending on July 12 but my last day will be Thursday July 11. Giving me one more FREE day. My boss is coming up Tomorrow to get my keys, Credit cards and Laptop. Been in the Oil and Gas just 3 months shy of 46 years. I have had a GREAT job for the last 13 years. I didn't want a party but he will be taking the family out for a nice supper. I guess now my job is taking care of my investments.

Last edited:
I have filled out my last Time Sheet ending on July 12 but my last day will be Thursday July 11. Giving my one more FREE day. My boss is coming up Tomorrow to get my keys, Credit cards and Laptop. Been in the Oil and Gas just 3 months shy of 46 years. I have had a GREAT job for the last 13 years. I didn't want a party but he will be taking the family out for a nice supper. I guess now my job is taking care of my investments.
Congrats on making it through 46 years. I'm at 28 (34 if you count part time work during college). I feel like such a slacker compared to you!

Man, my official FIRE date was July 4th but they still begging me to stick around to finish the project I started. At least I saw my 1mil 401k roll over check today and got that out the way.

Found out last week that my job at MegaSoftwareCorp has been eliminated. I have till Mid June to find another job, or take the package. SERIOUSLY thinking of joining the class of 2019! I'm almost 64 and have the FI portion down (I think...), it's the RE that's scaring me. DW is 62 and terrified -- of me being home all the time ;-). She may keep working...

So... Been 'out' since 6/17. Really not sure how I ever had time to work ;-). A little travel, a few projects around the house, and I'm plenty busy. I start a two day a week consulting gig on Monday, doing pretty much what I 'retired' from. Frankly not very excited, but it covers COBRA and gas for the Motorcycle.

DW remains terrified - she returns to her job at the school in a few weeks so that will take her mind off her un-employed husband (me).

So far, this is a good thing!

I'll check back in a few weeks...

37 workdays left. Having my best stretch at work in 6-7 years. If it had improved like this a few months sooner, I would probably signed up for OMY. Relocation process was too far along by the time it happened, though.

Retirement home under contract to buy, with 2+ weeks off to move in at the end of the month.

I clocked out for the last time on May 1, 2019. Has been an awesome couple of months.

Hitting the gym or riding my bicycle every day followed by yard improvement projects. Energy and strength are coming back and weight is dropping off.

Through my 40’s I raced mountain, cyclocross, or gravel endurance bicycle race events on most every weekend. Looking forward to pinning on a number and lining up once again with the 55+ boys this Fall on the cyclocross race circuit.

Also my first full pension check hit my account recently. The final monthly amount is slightly more than I calc’d. Time to go shopping for a new race bike!

Cheers to all my brothers and sisters in the class of 2019. Hope your are all living your dream.

Our plan is moving ahead. My last day of work is this Friday. We have found a buyer for our current home (a friend, so we save brokers' commissions), and framing is complete at our new home. We'll go into limbo until August 15th now, as we wait until the Due Diligence period ends. After that, I start packing everything up getting ready for the move in October. My spouse will hold off giving notice until mid-September, aiming to continue working with the company remotely, at least through the end of the year. (Fingers crossed that that works out.)

Done!

It is such a relief to be out of there, and to be looking forward to the future instead of dreading the next pit I would otherwise be forced to throw myself into.

Congrats bUU. I am enjoying my retirement too. Been trying to convince DW to join me.

Reactions: bUU
so sad, my last day supposed to be July 4th 2019, we had a go away party but I am still stuck with a project I started.

And is someone holding a gun to your head, forcing you to work there? Well, you know what I mean. Believe me, a month or so after you leave, you WILL NOT care what they are doing back at the office.

Back
Top Bottom