Class of 2019

Congrats Carpediem! I retired couple months ago after 37 years in IT. Did a lot of reflection on History if IT during that last month on the job. It was quite a run from the early 80s to present. Birth of the PC, networks, internet, mobile, etc. quite a ride when I think back of what all I’ve experienced in 37 years, and in your case a couple years longer.

Thank you for the congratulations. My IT career started as a Data Processing 'runner' in 1979 where I would deliver printouts and punched card decks to the Programmers. I'll never forget the day I accidentally dropped a deck and the cards went flying everywhere. They weren't numbered back then so I had no hope of getting them back in order. All I could do is tell the Programmer that I had dropped his deck and I was very sorry. Fortunately, he was a nice guy.

So my IT career went like this:

Data Processing flunkee -> Computer Operator (mainframes) -> Programmer (Cobol & Assembler) -> Project Manager -> IT Manager -> Asst Dir Infrastructure (job eliminated) -> Project Manager (bye bye management) -> RETIREMENT

Our plan is being slightly modified. Originally we thought March of this year, then DH decided he wanted to extend it to July 1 in order to get a bonus for staying 1 year with the new company that bought out his old company.

Now, unfortunately, hubby has developed severe back pain and has failed conservative treatment, so we are faced with him needing a lumbar fusion. We decided he should go ahead and get this done now since he is becoming very limited in his function AND because we have short-term disability and long term disability that he has paid into for years at work.

Soooooo....after he has surgery he will be on disability for a while and then the plan is for him to go ahead and retire when that ends.

It's not the way we wanted him to retire, but, we are thankful we have the ability to deal with this and he won't be forced to go back to work after surgery. Hopefully all will go well and he will have a great result. Fingers crossed!!!

Congrats to everyone in the Class of 2019! Start enjoying yourselves and sharing all the new adventures that come with the early stages of retirement.

OK, so I missed that one...looking at summer 2019 or so. I'm laying out the condo sale, and almost two years of dive travel, as well as moving schedule. I'm getting excited...planning to go diving in many places I've been wanting to so since the 1990s!
Looks like I'm moving to the Class of 2020. Hopefully, by only a month. Trying to get one more company match on the 401(k), and save a little bit more for an eventual house.

My exit plan hinges on building of our new home in Florida. It now has status "Option Cut-off 3" whatever that means. I've pinned down three points in time that I'll give notice, either right after Independence Day, right after the structural walkthrough, or right after Labor Day. The latter is becoming much more unlikely, given that the construction coordinator is talking about the structural walkthrough taking place sometime in July. Word is that it's typically less than eight weeks from the structural walkthrough to the final walkthrough (really?) and we really want me to have at least two months post-work to deal with the move (realtor, mover, packing, etc.)

One week left until I go on 'vacation' and never come back. Feel fortunate that mega allows PTO to be observed so I can collet a month of benefits. However, I have seen instances of after a retire letter is sent HR telling someone no thanks, we will sever ties on the last work day. Mega can be a cold mistress.

Odds and Ends
- Changed my 401k contributions for the remaining paychecks to fully fund the 401k and catch up contribution for the year. Nice tax savings here. Have enough cash on hand to avoid the 22% tax bracket for several years.
- Changed my group auto insurance to withdrawal from checking instead of paycheck. Did not think I could keep group auto policy but pleasantly surprised at keeping the discounted rate.
- Also able to port group life term insurance to individual policy without underwriting. Nice perk, I will take advantage of some of that.
- Company phone - got authorization to keep my phone number ported to an individual plan, which is convenient because its been 'mine' for nearly 20 years.
- NUA - FIDO has helped me to solidify that strategy. Key point is after 59.5 there are no more 'trigger' events, so there is only one shot at rollover of 401k to an IRA and paying taxes on the cost basis. Any withdrawal from the 401k after that age and you lose the whole capital gains tax advantage.

After being 'buttoned down' for so long, I see shorts, sandals, beard and a ponytail in my near future..:cool:

Last edited:
Only two wake-ups left! :dance:

I have been incredibly busy the start of this week, and have a lot more to get done today and tomorrow, but the badge and parking pass gets turned in on Friday then it is a wrap.... Looking forward to the summer!

I'm struggling to get through this week. The foundation of the home we're building in Florida is now complete. They're starting the framing. Eventually, it'll become impossible to do w*rk justice as I'll be invariably dragged into work associated with getting our home-for-sale up to standards and with arrangements for the move itself.

My tentative plan is to try to get my boss to agree to talk off-the-record on Friday. She deserves more advance notice even if megacorp doesn't. If I can't get her to agree to an off-the-record conversation though, she'll have to deal with whatever notice I choose to give the company.

When? I've had three dates in mind. (i) July 8, (ii) the day I get back from the structural walkthrough, and (iii) September 3.

September 3 is probably too late for two-weeks notice, so that was very unlikely from the start - a contingency in case it looked like construction was going to take a lot longer than anticipated. (It isn't.)

The day I get back to work after the structural walkthrough seemed the best date, but the problem is I'll need to take three days off for that walkthrough with relatively little notice. If I wait to give notice that I'm quitting until after I get back from the walkthrough, then I could find myself basically going AWOL for the walkthrough and then coming back and giving notice - that's a little messy.

Which leaves July 8, which has seemed a bit too early until now. For it to make sense, it would need to be a quid pro quo: You let me take off for the walkthrough in a few weeks and I can give you another two weeks after that. Otherwise, I'm giving you two-week notice now.

Company just had a retirement party for me today and this is a hat I got. This July 4th will be a memorable independent day for me.

IMG_2706.JPG

Last edited:
It's official. freedomatlast finally has freedom at last!
Last day of work was 6/21/19 @ 59 1/2 years old. I guess I can say I retired in my 50's.

For it to make sense, it would need to be a quid pro quo: You let me take off for the walkthrough in a few weeks and I can give you another two weeks after that. Otherwise, I'm giving you two-week notice now.
The boss saw me coming. She asked for a month. I'm not sure if that pegs my last day at July 26 or August 9 (end of the two pay periods closest to a month from now) - I'm good with either.

The boss saw me coming. She asked for a month. I'm not sure if that pegs my last day at July 26 or August 9 (end of the two pay periods closest to a month from now) - I'm good with either.

bUU - a month will go by quickly. Cheer up, because the time will fly and you may need it for the odds and ends of retirement separation. Two other benefits, 1) you should not be expected to start new projects, and 2) people will come to you less for problem solving. Just say 'sucks to be you' to one person trying to land their problem on your lap - word gets around quickly. :D

Reactions: bUU
Just finished my last (FT) day at the job today!

I am going to do a little PT work through the end of the year at my current employer, adn will continue doing my own PT business for a while longer. DW says i have failed at this retirement thing.

bUU - a month will go by quickly. Cheer up, because the time will fly and you may need it for the odds and ends of retirement separation. Two other benefits, 1) you should not be expected to start new projects, and 2) people will come to you less for problem solving. Just say 'sucks to be you' to one person trying to land their problem on your lap - word gets around quickly. :D
I'm not sure a month will go by all that quickly. Once I get back from vacation I'll have very little actual work to do. I'm leaving behind enough of my work that the rest of my team will take several months to work through, at a minimum. No one will expect me to be adding more logs to the pile. So my days will involve reviewing the work done in India overnight and running the 9am status meeting. After that, I'll probably just spend my time making it look like I'm busy (something that goes so slow) to justify getting paid for the week.

I'm not scheduled to be the "problem solver of the week" until my last week, but even that never means more than a few hours of extra work. That's actually the only part of the job I ever liked.

I've been doing my job (product owner) and that of a colleague (project manager) who was laid off several months ago. They have been trying to replace that colleague with a contractor, and it seems likely that they'll make their decision about that now, given that they know I'm leaving. So somewhere along the line I'll hand over even that work. The current top candidate doesn't seem like the kind of guy who will be interested in my bringing him up to speed - he seems more inclined to start from scratch and do things his own way. So I won't even have that work ahead of me.

I'm not "retiring" from the perspective of the company - I've just been there 15 months. So I think "separation" will just involve leaving my laptop with my boss on the last day, and handing my ID badge to the guard as I swipe out one last time. I have a 401k there, but I initiate the rollover wholly within Fidelity, 401k to IRA; easy peasy.

Somehow or another, my boss set up my exit interview for yesterday afternoon. I didn't actually give notice yet (and won't for another week yet). Still, it was a nice discussion. The HR manager acknowledged the failings of the organization but did try to contend that things would eventually get better. I told her I hoped so - there are some really good people I like very much who I'm leaving behind, people who don't have the luxury of being able to step away like I do.

We're moving later this year, so I will start interviewing realtors and movers soon. Maybe I'll do some work along those lines during work hours, especially on my work-at-home days. (I doubt they'll say I have to be in the office these last several weeks: There aren't enough desks for everyone, so my working at home two days a week, means that some of the newer people actually get to work at a workstation for a change, instead of crowded around a small table or balancing their laptops on their laps. Yes; the company is that stupid-foolish.)

Last edited:
First Monday of retirement for me, 60yo. Loading up truck to head to mtns for couple weeks. I will admit to feeling different today. Super glad to be part of class of 2019!

First Monday of retirement for me, 60yo. Loading up truck to head to mtns for couple weeks. I will admit to feeling different today. Super glad to be part of class of 2019!
Welcome to retirement! Hope you have a great trip.

Day 23. Opted to stay an extra night after DW's family reunion 4 hours away. No place to be and made for a relaxing weekend. Still trying to find my groove. Zucchini needs to be harvested tomorrow.

Day 23. Opted to stay an extra night after DW's family reunion 4 hours away. No place to be and made for a relaxing weekend. Still trying to find my groove. Zucchini needs to be harvested tomorrow.
I say be patient with finding your groove. I retired end of last month. A week ago I had lunch with colleagues from work. They asked "what is your routine now?" I really do not have a routine as I have been travelling and planning travel so I guess that is the routine.

I do not want to get too routine yet. I do feel comfortable with not working so that's the important thing.

I think it'll be a while before I get to thinking about "routine". I've got another month of work, but by then I'll be fully engulfed in the "work" of selling our home, arranging for our move to Florida, and arranging for the various upgrades we're already planning for our home there. Done well, in a way that we could never hope for while working, this relocation will occupy us for at least the next five or six months I suspect. "Routine" is something to consider for next year, I suspect.

We have been retired almost 2 years. We have a semi routine at most. Don't worry too much about having a routine or a need to do certain number of accomplishments each day.
It will come to you over time and some days your routine might just be nothing.

Gave my unofficial notice to the company CEO and my boss. CEO and I have worked together for nearly 20 years and he was my boss for most of that time, until I switched to part time 3 years ago. I will make it official in writing in a day or so. Last day will be August 2nd. My 55th birthday is in July so will be just past that. I've got about half of my retirement funds in my 401k, so will leave that sit for now just in case I need access before 59.5 We've got probably 4 years of cash in regular after tax accounts so don't really plan on any withdrawals. June 24 marked 38 years in banking. When I downshifted from VP to part time the company squandered my 6 months notice. I expect the same thing this time but really like and respect my direct boss so gave 30 days notice. I also am due a $9k commission check so probably worth the longer notice.

Let the count down begin!

Back
Top Bottom