Daily WORDLE - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice game. I got lucky the first time and got the word in 4. Maybe all that Quiddler we play helped :). We'll see what tomorrow brings.

I have not tried the Sengsational approach (of getting lots of coverage in three words, then piece together that info). I have only tried a "good" (i.e., high-letter frequency) starting word, then taken it from there.

However, I took the first 15 letters from Sengsational's list, put them into an anagram solver, and asked for a list of all the sets of 3 words of 5 letters each.

I was amazed to find that there are 4349 such combinations. (E.g., Decal Humor Pints, or Caned Thrum Spoil.) Any of these combinations give 87.5% coverage.

Jeez, I just tried the same approach for the best 4-word sets. There are 18,249 such sets, each of which gets you to 96.9 coverage.

Jeez, I just tried the same approach for the best 4-word sets. There are 18,249 such sets, each of which gets you to 96.9 coverage.

Now if you guys could only figure out something like this for my Lotto numbers. :dance:

That's cool! I was trying to come up with words that gave more of a chance first, like EARTH was 37.2% alone, but CUMIN was down to 25.4%

I'll look at that and see if I can improve my list.

I was unaware that there was a "hard mode" vs. normal mode. But it turns out I have been in hard mode, and naturally followed those requirements. Why WOULDN'T I use the available information?

I was unaware that there was a "hard mode" vs. normal mode. But it turns out I have been in hard mode, and naturally followed those requirements. Why WOULDN'T I use the available information?

What is the "hard" mode?

Per the site:

Hard Mode
Any revealed hints must be used in subsequent guesses

See by default I play hardmode. Wherein you must use the "learned" letters from your prior guesses to build. IE, if that first "EARTH" tell you yup, the E is good, you cant make another word guess without it.

For example, let's say my first word guess is "first" and wordle tells me that T is perfect, and the S is also there but in another spot.

My second guess must then include that T and that S. I'm not allowed to just stab for letters. And honestly, for me the goal is less about completion at any cost, but about getting it in less rows. So blowing 3 rows to get an 85% chance in row 4 every day? Boring. Why play.

Thanks Aeidres -- I had been playing hard mode all along and did not realize it.

WOW! I never would have imagined that many sets.

That's cool! I was trying to come up with words that gave more of a chance first, like EARTH was 37.2% alone, but CUMIN was down to 25.4%

I'll look at that and see if I can improve my list.
Same here (trying make the first word the highest coverage I could). But if the strategy is to always use 3 words, then uniform strategy is probably better because it could give you more opportunity to make the 4th and 5th words. The vowel weighting idea from ERD, although I'm not sure I understand the reasoning, might also be worth exploration.

Per the site:

Hard Mode
Any revealed hints must be used in subsequent guesses

I wonder if Hard Mode enforces the green-ness of guesses.

For example, if my first guess in Hard Mode is "FIRST" and T is green and S is yellow, is "STRUM" a valid second choice? Or must my second choice be of the form "xxxxT"?

See by default I play hardmode. Wherein you must use the "learned" letters from your prior guesses to build. IE, if that first "EARTH" tell you yup, the E is good, you cant make another word guess without it.

For example, let's say my first word guess is "first" and wordle tells me that T is perfect, and the S is also there but in another spot.

My second guess must then include that T and that S. I'm not allowed to just stab for letters. And honestly, for me the goal is less about completion at any cost, but about getting it in less rows. So blowing 3 rows to get an 85% chance in row 4 every day? Boring. Why play.
I actually agree, I just started playing wordle a few days ago, and I would normally play this or a mastermind type game by trying to make each subsequent guess fit the established patterns and not "spam" for information first. But I admit I got caught up in the game of trying to get the most information from the first few words. :LOL:

Turns out I was playing by hard mode rules without even knowing that it could be set in settings.

Got it in 5 tries today.

Last edited:
Based on the 2 people who got it quickly, I went aggressively and also got it in two.

Wordle 214 2/6

⬜⬜⬜����
����������

Haha. Must be an easy word today. I lucked out by guessing the first letter and ruling out 2 vowels in my first attempt. That helped narrow down #2.

Got it in three (first two days on 4), but I thought my 2nd entry had a real good chance, but all it did was eliminate two letters and lock down the position of one from the 1st entry.

Is there terminology for a 'direct hit' (known letter, known position), and a 'near hit' (known letter, but different position)?

I guess I'm now wondering about the spoiler alert warning here. I mean, now that I'm playing the game, no way am I going to look at this thread until after I played the day's game. Though I guess it might pop up in my email and be visible in preview? Probably not.

-ERD50

Third day of playing in hard mode. (Like others, I just assumed you had to play it that way.) Day 1: 3, day 2: 6, day 3: 3.

Wordle 213 4/6

⬜��⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜����⬜
⬜⬜��⬜��
����������

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
������⬜⬜
⬜����⬜��
��⬜��⬜��
⬜⬜������
����������

Yeah. I got todays word. I was worried that I’d fail again and have no excuses for not knowing the rules.

ETA: Now I just need to figure out how to show my results. It looked fine when I pasted it into my post, but when I submitted it, the colors turned into ?? ?? marks.

Based on the 2 people who got it quickly, I went aggressively and also got it in two.

Wordle 214 2/6

⬜⬜⬜����
����������

Wordle 214 4/6

⬜��⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜��
⬜⬜������
����������

I got it in four today, but mostly, I’m still trying to figure out why sometimes I can’t post my results in color instead of the ?? ?? marks and other times it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom