Golf Talk Tuesdays - 2021

It was fun to watch. Based on my pick and rationale for thinking Smith would win, one can see why I don’t gamble large sums of money. :LOL: Scheffler stood tall. Congratulations to him.

I was pulling for Joe Dirt all the way but Scottie definitely played some great golf and deserved the win. Nice to see both Rory and Colin hole out of the trap on 18 to finish.

+1 It was even a bit funny to see Scottie muff a couple short bunny putts at the end but he had played so well on the previous 71 holes that it didn't matter a bit.

Great weekend of golf.

How about those consecutive holeouts from the bunkers by McIlroy and Morikawa on 18! I wonder if there have ever been consecutive holeouts from the sand in the history of the majors... it has to be very rare.

I thought that Scheffler got real lucky on 3 where he holed that low, skidding chip.. good thing for him that the flag got in the way otherwise he would have had a very long comebacker. That shifted the momentum for sure.

Both McIlroy and Morikawa eagled 13 as well. -5 and -8 in that pairing --> best golf of day for sure.

I was pulling for Joe Dirt all the way but Scottie definitely played some great golf and deserved the win. Nice to see both Rory and Colin hole out of the trap on 18 to finish.

Joe Dirt - Ha ha! I was thinking the same thing. He seems like a humble guy. I hope that nickname doesn't stick. Although, I suppose he could shake it quick with a haircut and a shave. Guy can play!

Shot less than my age yesterday for the first time ever! :dance:

Now... full disclosure... par 60 executive course with 6 par 4s and 12 par 3s. :D

I had 13 pars and 5 bogies... gross 65 (and I'm 66 + 5 months)... no birdies and no double bogies.

My GHIN course handicap was 12 so I was a -7 net... a pretty stellar day for a 15.6 index.

I still lament a couple 3' putts that I missed. :facepalm:

^^ Congrats. On to shooting your age on a par 72 course.

Congratulations!!

We have an executive course around here that's par 57 (15 par 3's, 3 par 4's). It's my goal to shoot my age there. I'll be 60 next month, my lowest round there is 62.

As to shooting my age on a full length course, I don't think that will ever happen.

I'm booked on a beginners class over 3 afternoons starting after Easter.

Do I catch this bug? :D

Had my first class today. Never felt so stiff and sore as my back feels right now! :LOL:

Perhaps my hands can compete. I guess I gripped that club pretty hard. :blush:

^^ Congrats. On to shooting your age on a par 72 course.

Congratulations!!

We have an executive course around here that's par 57 (15 par 3's, 3 par 4's). It's my goal to shoot my age there. I'll be 60 next month, my lowest round there is 62.

As to shooting my age on a full length course, I don't think that will ever happen.

+1 when I'm playing well, I'm happy with my game but its unrealistic to think that I will ever shoot less than my age on a par 72 course... I'm just not good enough.

I'm happy shooting in the 80s... today had a 43/49/92 on a tough Arnold Palmer designed par 72 course... I think I was running out of gas on the second nine (which does play tougher than the first nine).

Posting that 65 somehow dropped my index down to 13.1... an all-time low and compared to 21.3 a year ago. Something isn't right.

I don’t expect to ever shoot my age either. A [-]funny[/-] reinforced lesson round yesterday…

I shot an 80, better than average for me, despite 35 putts. No lost balls (rare) and I hit 14 of 14 fairways (more rare), but I didn’t putt well at all.

Good thing I didn’t let the first hole throw me. Par 5, on in 2 :D, then 4 putts :mad:. The greens were WAY slower than I realized, took me a few holes to adjust.

How to 4 putt (I think it’s been years since I 4 putted):
  1. Leave a 40 foot putt breaking uphill then downhill slider 10 feet short.
  2. Make sure not to leave it short again, hit it 6 feet past the cup (easy going downhill).
  3. Leave the uphill 6 footer a couple inches short (and right).
  4. Tap in for bogey…blame the putter.
Stupid game. Same time tomorrow?

That is beauty of the game. Every new round starts with a blank scorecard and high hopes. Then reality sets in. This game is hard and the guys that play for six or seven-figures on Sundays are really good.

Shot a personal best yesterday on a local par 72 muni with a 78, two birds, no doubles and the rest pars and bogeys. My second round in the 70s this year. The short game and putting was key. Also noteworthy, played with a group of guys that I don't normally play with and think that may have contributed to increased focus and steady play. Finally getting some decent golf weather helped as well.

Had one of my worst rounds in a long time yesterday. Sure, it was my first time out this year, it was cold and the ground was wet and soft, but that’s no excuse. I did terrible and hit 65 for nine. On average, I shoot 50 so breaking 60 hurt. The only good thing is that I was subbing on a league instead of it being my first round on the league where I’m a member.

As always, there were some good hits and I even parred a par 5, but I lost 4 balls and didn’t putt worth a damn. Friday is my league and the weather doesn’t look too good. Almost hoping I’ll get rained out because I have some lessons I’ve signed up for that start next Tuesday. All short game lessons.

My goal this year is to get my average at or below 45 for nine. If I can do that, I can move to B flight from C on my league.

On another forum, I read a post by another player describing a recent round as "okish = some really good shots + some really not so good ones :)"

To which I replied "I’ve been playing golf for 57 years and I don’t remember a single round that wasn’t “some really good shots + some idiotic shots!” All that varies is the ratio between good vs bad, and the new ways I find to screw up… :blink: "

Seemed to resonate or amuse others...

That about sums it up. My best round ever happened because 2 horrendous shots hit trees and kicked back out to the fairway. 3 off the tee became on the green in regulation. On one of them I got lucky again and sunk a 30' putt for birdie. So, a likely double or triple magically turned into a birdie.

My 75 years old group of guys have been playing every week now for the last two months. The courses here are in absolutely fantastic condition with the wet Spring and mild temperatures.

The Insperity Invitational tournament was played on our local TPC course this last week and it was a great event. I went Sunday and watched for a few hours.

We lost a member of our 75+ group last Fall due to a stroke. He passed about a month ago from another stroke. Getting old sucks. :(

Had one of my worst rounds in a long time yesterday. Sure, it was my first time out this year, it was cold and the ground was wet and soft, but that’s no excuse. I did terrible and hit 65 for nine. On average, I shoot 50 so breaking 60 hurt. The only good thing is that I was subbing on a league instead of it being my first round on the league where I’m a member.

As always, there were some good hits and I even parred a par 5, but I lost 4 balls and didn’t putt worth a damn. Friday is my league and the weather doesn’t look too good. Almost hoping I’ll get rained out because I have some lessons I’ve signed up for that start next Tuesday. All short game lessons.

My goal this year is to get my average at or below 45 for nine. If I can do that, I can move to B flight from C on my league.

I don't know if I would beat myself up too much from one bad round on the irst time out this year. It definitely seems that the more that I play the better I get... my index is lower than it has ever been (probably lower than I should be but it is what it is).

You can practice putting in your living room... if you can consistently drain those 3' putts then you'll likely score pretty well... those 2-putts from 3' in are killer.

Headed to Mesquite & LV, NV tomorrow for a week to play with friends, which has turned into an annual outing that we’re now calling the “Most Interesting Men in The World” (MIMTW) Tourny. [Read: 4 geezer golfers in matching shirts playing Pasture Pool] [emoji6]

We’re playing: Coyote Springs, Conestoga, Oasis Palmer Course, Falcon Ridge, Chimera & Rio Secco. Happy to hear thoughts & suggestions on any of these courses if anyone on this thread has played them.

I am familiar with Chimera as we live up the road in Lake Las Vegas and have played there 50 times or so over the years. Chimera is a good course with moderate level of difficulty, several par 4s are fairly short. Many of the greens are up on a plateau. Good people and course is well maintained. Driving range is the shits...

Our foursome all in the 70s today. Perfect Nashville weather, and a few birdies.

Looks like the PGA Tour put the hammer down by not allowing any releases to the first tournament in London next month for the new LIV golf league. Will be curious to see which players go anyways and risk losing their membership on the PGA Tour. Lots of money being handed out, has to be tempting. Seems like a few older well known European players are committed to LIV, no big surprise there, not really sure where the European Tour stands. Pretty sure lawyers will be getting involved but that's usually very time consuming.

I don't see the business model of the LIV being sustainable for the sole reason it won't garner much attention. Yes it may buy the Saudis some much needed short lived respectability but if you want to watch a bunch of old has beens and second tier players, there is always the Seniors and Korn Ferry.

Got to practice my walking scorer skills (ha!) with Jordan Speith and Dustin Johnson at the PGA practice rounds. They were very loose and having fun. Jordan provided a ton of autographs, although the requests were endless

Back
Top Bottom