Golf Talk Tuesdays - 2021

Interesting "online golf club order" situation...

Several weeks ago, I ordered a used Callaway Rogue 4H hybrid (as I am happy with my Callaway Rouge driver and 3 wood) from the Callaway pre-owned store on eBay. This is what I ordered:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/352563940665

However, what they actually sent was a Callaway Super Hybrid:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313440321800

It is in very good condition. Used, but not many ball marks (in a tight center, whomever used it knew what they were doing :)). Also, it included the original (and looking new) club head cover, whereas what I ordered was supposed to come with a cover. I have used the club for a stint at the driving range and a half dozen rounds;. so far no issues, and I am liking it as I get it "broken in" to my swing.

But, I cannot ignore my spidey sense paranoia :). Why send me a better used club, in a better condition, than the one I ordered? I am kind of waiting for the "oops, we made a mistake" message, but I doubt that will happen.

Several weeks ago, I ordered a used Callaway Rogue 4H hybrid (as I am happy with my Callaway Rouge driver and 3 wood) from the Callaway pre-owned store on eBay. This is what I ordered:

It is in very good condition. Used, but not many ball marks (in a tight center, whomever used it knew what they were doing :)). Also, it included the original (and looking new) club head cover, whereas what I ordered was supposed to come with a cover. I have used the club for a stint at the driving range and a half dozen rounds;. so far no issues, and I am liking it as I get it "broken in" to my swing.

But, I cannot ignore my spidey sense paranoia :). Why send me a better used club, in a better condition, than the one I ordered? I am kind of waiting for the "oops, we made a mistake" message, but I doubt that will happen.
Why not just ask? It may be they sold the one you ordered or found it was not as described in the listing, so they chose to send you what they had that was similar but better as a goodwill gesture. eBay sellers need to keep their reputations intact, so they often exceed expectations when there might be an issue.

Last edited:

I'd call them and tell them, chances are they will probably tell you to keep it unless you want the club you ordered. My rule of thumb is, if you would have called them had they sent you a lesser value club, you should call them on the higher value club as well. When someone makes a mistake even if it is in my favor, I do my best to make it right. Maybe kind of anal on my part but just they way I go through life.

Why not just ask? It may be they sold the one you ordered or found it was not as described in the listing, so they choose to send you what they had that was similar as a goodwill gesture. eBay sellers need to keep their reputations intact, so they often exceed expectations when there might be an issue.

I'd call them and tell them, chances are they will probably tell you to keep it unless you want the club you ordered. My rule of thumb is, if you would have called them had they sent you a lesser value club, you should call them on the higher value club as well. When someone makes a mistake even if it is in my favor, I do my best to make it right. Maybe kind of anal on my part but just they way I go through life.

I should have clarified that I had contacted them via feedback (which has gotten me responses in similar situations before); if it goes another day without a "oops" response I will follow up.

I should have clarified that I had contacted them via feedback (which has gotten me responses in similar situations before); if it goes another day without a "oops" response I will follow up.
If you’re happy with what they sent, and you’ve notified them, the ball is in their court. If they don’t respond within a day or two, that’s on them IMO.

Looks like it might be the same company that has their own online web site, https://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/, also from Austin. I've never dealt with them on eBay but have bought several clubs from them at their online store, I've been happy with their service and prices. They often have sales going on and their 'like new' clubs are just that, look like they have never been hit, and usually a lot cheaper. Just picked up a 'like new' Mavrik fairway wood from them a couple weeks ago on sale at a very good price. If you're happy with the club received just keep it, I'd say the chances of them asking you to send it back is close to zero.

Last edited:
Looks like it might be the same company that has their own online web site, https://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/, also from Austin. I've never dealt with them on eBay but have bought several clubs from them at their online store, I've been happy with their service and prices. They often have sales going on and their 'like new' clubs are just that, look like they have never been hit, and usually a lot cheaper. Just picked up a 'like new' Mavrik fairway wood from them a couple weeks ago on sale at a very good price. If you're happy with the club received just keep it, I'd say the chances of them asking you to send it back is close to zero.

Thanks for the tip! I have a 30 yard gap between my Rogue 7 Hybrid and my Epic Flash Heaven Wood (6 wood equivalent). I will take a look

Three word response today from Callaway Golf Pre-owned: "Enjoy the club!"

So I will :D.

Today I broke 80 for the first time ever - shot a 79! And I was playing with two others, so there are witnesses :LOL:.

On a par 3, my tee shot hit a overhanging branch to the right of the green and I never saw it come down. I thought I had lost it into the rough behind the tree, but I found it on a foot in. I took a quick chip shot just hoping to get it close to the green, and it just made the dge at a slope in the green - and then rolled down about 20 feet directly into the cup. My favorite birdie of the day!

I could have done better - I had 3 par or birdie puts roll right along the edge of the cup without going in. But I will take it. I used one ball all the way, so that one will go into my "hall of fame". Woo-hoo! :dance:

Today I broke 80 for the first time ever - shot a 79! And I was playing with two others, so there are witnesses :LOL:.

On a par 3, my tee shot hit a overhanging branch to the right of the green and I never saw it come down. I thought I had lost it into the rough behind the tree, but I found it on a foot in. I took a quick chip shot just hoping to get it close to the green, and it just made the dge at a slope in the green - and then rolled down about 20 feet directly into the cup. My favorite birdie of the day!

I could have done better - I had 3 par or birdie puts roll right along the edge of the cup without going in. But I will take it. I used one ball all the way, so that one will go into my "hall of fame". Woo-hoo! :dance:

Nice round! Congrats!! :dance:

I started coaching the local high school golf team this year. The previous coach retired (at 76) and I didn't want the school to drop the program so I agreed to coach the team if they couldn't find anyone else to do it. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed as I've never coached before and I'm only a decent player (12 hdcp) at best. We practice Monday through Thursday for 2 hours each day and it seems so inadequate but I don't think I can ask more of the kids with everything else they have going on with school, jobs, etc. There is such a wide range of skill level among the kids that it's really difficult to give them all the attention they should get. Any advice on how to manage this new "job" is appreciated.

Congrats. It’s a thrill to break 80, especially the first time. :dance:

I started coaching the local high school golf team this year. The previous coach retired (at 76) and I didn't want the school to drop the program so I agreed to coach the team if they couldn't find anyone else to do it. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed as I've never coached before and I'm only a decent player (12 hdcp) at best. We practice Monday through Thursday for 2 hours each day and it seems so inadequate but I don't think I can ask more of the kids with everything else they have going on with school, jobs, etc. There is such a wide range of skill level among the kids that it's really difficult to give them all the attention they should get. Any advice on how to manage this new "job" is appreciated.

You are a good person to do this. How many kids do you have? Could you get some of the good golfers that you play with to come to some of the practices to give the kids advice? Or maybe film the kid's swings and get some good golfers or a local teaching pro to look at the swings and give advice? Do you teach them the rules of golf and etiquette? I bet there are some good podcasts/videos on that.

Maybe solicit some help from your local club pro, like having a group clinic once a week or so. Most would be more than willing to help out to promote local junior golf. The coach for my high school golf team (many moons ago) was not a particularly strong golfer but was there more to encourage the kids to practice and to coordinate the competitions. You're doing the right thing just by being there, it's more important they enjoy it, don't sweat the small stuff.

The golf coaches I had in high school and college were terrible golfers. They mainly acted as chauffeurs for the team matches.

Recently researched personal launch monitors and decided to get a ‘Rapsodo.’ I was able to find a lightly used one (looks brand new) on Facebook Marketplace for 60% of new price. I’ve just started using it so, still lots to learn. But, I like it so far: easy to set up & pair with iPhone; instant feedback on each shot (display & audio) of several parameters (selectable); great video of each shot, which is helpful; and flight & dispersion graphics. There are several features (games, etc) which I’ve not used yet. So, lots of testing yet to do.

Does anyone else use a launch monitor and, if so, what brand and what are your thoughts?

Do you use the launch monitor at the range or hit into a net? Thought about buying a launch monitor but would have to use it at the driving range and the balls aren't the best, doubt the numbers would match up well with the kind of ball I play with. The swing video playback is a nice feature and would be helpful.

Do you use the launch monitor at the range or hit into a net? Thought about buying a launch monitor but would have to use it at the driving range and the balls aren't the best, doubt the numbers would match up well with the kind of ball I play with. The swing video playback is a nice feature and would be helpful.

I use it at the range. As long as your range balls are decent (not beat to hell), you can get good representative numbers. Club head speed, ball flight shape & video will all be accurate Ball speed may be a bit reduced; one recent test with driver & 6-iron showed ~5% difference in ball speed & carry distance btwn premium and range balls. That’s good enough for my practice sessions.

Last edited:
Congrats to Sam Bennett for US AM win !

But dear God, Please stop the 8-10 regrip and looks preshot !!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats to Sam Bennett for US AM win !

But dear God, Please stop the 8-10 regrip and looks preshot !!!!!!!!!!!

It's even worse when you play with someone that shoots 110 :LOL:

I have a friend that I can only play with once or twice a year max. He's so slow that we normally let several groups pass us each round.

It's even worse when you play with someone that shoots 110 :LOL:

I have a friend that I can only play with once or twice a year max. He's so slow that we normally let several groups pass us each round.
A few guys I play with take ridiculously elaborate practice swings before every shot. They could often do it while others are hitting to avoid the delay, but they don’t…

A few guys I play with take ridiculously elaborate practice swings before every shot. They could often do it while others are hitting to avoid the delay, but they don’t…

Gets to the ball and then has to think about which club (I usually know 90% of the time which club when I get to the ball), lines up twice, 3 or 4 practice swings, wipes the club off after every shot. Putting...paces off every putt, looks at it from 2 or 3 angles, line it up twice... :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom