Golf Talk Tuesdays - 2021

...I was surprised to learn Cam never takes a practice putt, just lines up, reads the putt and lets it go. ...

I took practice swings/strokes out of my game a number of years ago... for most shots... the only shots I now might make practice strokes for are some of those tricky little chips near the green.

I took practice swings/strokes out of my game a number of years ago... for most shots... the only shots I now might make practice strokes for are some of those tricky little chips near the green.
+1. A couple guys I play with occasionally have a ridiculously long practice swing routine before every shot - and they don’t do any of it in advance (when they could) while others are taking their shots. :mad: That’s what happens when amateurs watch pros on TV…

And I played two weeks ago with a new guy in league who read every putt from behind the ball AND behind the hole, and insisted on having the pin out - with a 28 HI. :facepalm:

Last edited:
What irks me is those guys that take numerous practice swings, set up and chilly-dip it 20 yards. :facepalm:

I play with a guy that used to do that frequently and it was torture. Luckily, he's better now so I don't dread being paired with him as much as I used to.

+1. A couple guys I play with occasionally have a ridiculously long practice swing routine before every shot - and they don’t do any of it in advance (when they could) while others are taking their shots. :mad: That’s what happens when amateurs watch pros on TV…

One of my friends is like that. I only golf with him a couple times a year, he's a Human Rain Delay.

I don't take practice swings on routine shots, I just line up and go. If I have a downhill or sidehill lie then I will take one or two quick practice swings just to ensure that I've made the proper adjustment to my grip or stance.

At least the league has found a decent solution to slow play, we have 60+ players twice a week. After years of pleading with players, educating them on how to keep pace, no progress. Since we all know who the [-]mostly selfish idiots[/-] slow players are, the admins are tacitly just putting them all together in the last 2 foursomes. Now the rest of us get in closer to 4 hours, let the [-]morons[/-] slow players stay out and (further) bake their brains out for 5 hours…

Still delays $ awards waiting for the stragglers, but at least we’re in the clubhouse eating/drinking while we share lies about how we played and solve all the worlds problems with ease. And the last groups don’t seem to mind or notice the change, win-win.

Last edited:
At least the league has found a decent solution to slow play, we have 60+ players twice a week. After years of pleading with players, educating them on how to keep pace, no progress. Since we all know who the [-]mostly selfish idiots[/-] slow players are, the admins are tacitly just putting them all together in the last 2 foursomes. Now the rest of us get in closer to 4 hours, let the [-]morons[/-] slow players stay out and (further) bake their brains out for 5 hours…

I don't belong to a league but we have 15 to 20 on any day. Just show up at 9:00 a.m and we pair up and tee off by 9:30. We group in threesomes when possible but many days we have foursomes. The other day I was in a threesome and we were first off. Done by noon with the last group finished by 12:45. Occasionally we have 3.5 hour rounds if slowed by an earlier bunch so I am certainly spoiled with our speedy play. When playing out of town.... four hour + rounds are common. And I'm usually pulling my hair out as a result.

2 of us play together 3 to 4 times a week and typically finish in 2 hours 20 minutes. When we play with another couple, we finish under 3 hours. It is painful when we get stuck behind a slow group, so we try to get early tee times, 7:00am or 7:10am. I don't take generally take a practice swing, except when I have to do a flop shot or a testy short chip.

This feels different since neither player can play to protect the lead, I can see someone sneaking the title..

Quoting myself for a pat on the back:cool:

Cam Smith, unbelievable! Rory had so many great putts that didn’t fall, not once…

Cam Smith is an awesome putting machine! Pretty awesome final round!

He well deserves the win. What a come from behind effort. Rory just couldn’t drop any puts today.

One of the things observed watching this was just how many puts came “oh so close” - throughout the tournament.

Congratulations to Cam!

Hard to beat a good putter.
Yep. Zinger just reported that Cam had 9 fewer putts than Rory this Open, with only 12 putts on the back nine today, so Rory was better tee to green but it wasn’t enough…

Last edited:
Loved Cam Smith comment while holding the Claret Jug, I’m gonna see how many beers this thing will hold.

Loved Cam Smith comment while holding the Claret Jug, I’m gonna see how many beers this thing will hold.

The answer is 2 beers...of course the British have big beers.

I went to the funeral of a former co-worker and golf buddy today, gone too soon at 65. A golf cart was parked up front during the service and at the end his wife put the urn with his ashes on the seat, got in and then took him for one last ride through the doors to the burial site.

In the Texas heat today, I played 18 holes with a friend of mine. We started at 7:45 and finished at 10:30. I was home and in the shower by 11:00 am. Boy it was hot for the back nine.

We played Carlton Woods in The Woodlands, TX (Fazio course). They are trying their best to keep the course from drying out but a few spots on fairways are turning brown. We need rain down here big time.

I bought a golf bag yesterday, similar model was $280 at Golf Town, found it on Marketplace for $80. It was in almost new condition so I didn't even try to talk him down.

My only concern it that it's pretty big compared to my old bag. I'll have to give it a try to see if the bulk is a hassle in the trunk and on a golf cart.

Maximum bewilderment…

Last Friday I had my best home course round, a 76. My next round yesterday (Monday), same course same weather, I shot my worst round ever there at 94. One day I could almost do no wrong, 3 days later I could almost do no right. I really don’t know why, trust me I’ve tried to understand, I’ve reviewed FW%, GIR, putts, etc. My GHIN is 13.

Playing again tomorrow Wed, I wish I knew which player will show up…

Stupid game.

Last edited:
Some days it is just a grind on the course and currently I'm stuck in the mid 80s doldrums. Congrats on the 76, great score.

Last edited:
"Golf" spelled backwards is "Flog." In any event it is a four letter word. What a frustrating game, why do we love it so?

Back
Top Bottom