Golf Talk Tuesdays - 2021

I posted 50 rounds to GHIN in 2022 and 75 rounds in 2021. I'm guessing that I probably played 70 rounds in 2022.

There is an executive course that one of our two neighborhood leagues plays at that I play some... I used to post those scores but posting those scores destroyed my handicap so I don't post those scores anymore.

... Any recommendations between coaching and fitting?

From what you wrote, it sounds to me like coaching will be more valuable to you. I suspect that there's been some subtle change in your swing as a result of your shoulder injury and rehabilitation. A good coach could tell you whether you need to be refitted or not, but since you were playing well with those clubs before your injury, I suspect it's the indian and not the arrows.

I played 42 rounds in 2022. My normal is about 60 to 70, I had a back problem for several months which slowed me down. The most I ever played was 115 rounds in 2001.

I didn’t keep track, but probably around 15-20 rounds. I was recovering from shoulder surgery during the 1st half of the year, so I didn’t start playing until June.

Once I injured my shoulder, I developed a horrible slice with my irons. Driver is fine. After surgery, the slice remains and even when I get it under control, I’ve lost significant distance. My 7 iron was a consistent 140 yard carry and now, I’m lucky to get 120. A friend recommended a fitting. My clubs are around 10 years old and were off the shelf (no fitting) but I went to senior flex shafts a couple of years ago, which is when my game really started improved.

I have a fitting scheduled, but am rethinking it. Wondering if I should get some coaching first to see what’s wrong with my swing.

Any recommendations between coaching and fitting?

I'm sure you lost some strength, and maybe some flexibility, due to the surgery. I would probably focus on getting both of those back. Lighter shafts might help, if you have steel shafts in your irons maybe look at lighter graphite shafts. Between fitting and coaching I would probably start with the coaching, they can/will recommend fitting changes if they think it will help.

There is an executive course that one of our two neighborhood leagues plays at that I play some... I used to post those scores but posting those scores destroyed my handicap so I don't post those scores anymore.

I know some executive courses don't have course or slope ratings so scores can't be posted but some are rated and if rated correctly that should compensate for the low scores. One executive course I've played is a par 61 with a course rating of 59 (slope 88) so a score of 74 would calculate to about a 18 handicap.

Last edited:
I know some executive courses don't have course or slope ratings so scores can't be posted but some are rated and if rated correctly that should compensate for the low scores. One executive course I've played is a par 61 with a course rating of 59 (slope 88) so a score of 74 would calculate to about a 18 handicap.

When I was posting scores on that course I figured as you wrote that the slope and course rating would offset but it didn't... my index dropped like a rock. Part of it might be that my short game is my strength so I was scoring well on that executive course, much closer to par than normally, especially since with so many par 3s I got to tee up often on what would normally be approach shots.

I suspect that it isn't correctly rated.

I have posted 80 scores in 2022. But, I play lots of 9-hole rounds on the back of my course plus on an executive Par 3 course with DW (who's still learning) which I don't post. So, I'm guessing my total rounds for 2022 (18 hole + 9 hole) are in the 100-120 range.

Jan. 2, shot an 85 yesterday for the first round of 2023. Not good, not bad and I'll take it.

Any recommendations between coaching and fitting?
From what you wrote, it sounds to me like coaching will be more valuable to you. I suspect that there's been some subtle change in your swing as a result of your shoulder injury and rehabilitation. A good coach could tell you whether you need to be refitted or not, but since you were playing well with those clubs before your injury, I suspect it's the indian and not the arrows.
+1, I agree wholeheartedly. But choose carefully, like most professions there are good and bad teaching/golf pros. A good one can do wonders for you if you practice exactly what they suggest. And I’d give it more than one lesson, say 3-4?

Had my first hole in one today! 108 yds over water. Very happy. Only took 20+ yrs.
IMG_6853.JPG

Congratulations! Tell us more! What did you use for a club? Who were you with? Did you see it go in? How much did the celebratory drinks cost?

Congratulations! Tell us more! What did you use for a club? Who were you with? Did you see it go in? How much did the celebratory drinks cost?

108 yds into the wind, 9-iron. It felt good off the club, landed about 2 ft from the cup with a bit of spin and then disappeared into the cup. I couldn’t believe it for a second, even though I saw the whole thing. Then, of course, I said, “Hey, it went in the cup, it went in the cup!!!”

I was playing with my DW ( who’s recently taken up the game) but, she didn’t see it go in; just heard me celebrating and gave me a kiss. We were just a twosome so, drinks were cheap!⛳🏌️[emoji106]

Got a nice certificate from the Pro Shop.

108 yds into the wind, 9-iron. It felt good off the club, landed about 2 ft from the cup with a bit of spin and then disappeared into the cup. I couldn’t believe it for a second, even though I saw the whole thing. Then, of course, I said, “Hey, it went in the cup, it went in the cup!!!”

I was playing with my DW ( who’s recently taken up the game) but, she didn’t see it go in; just heard me celebrating and gave me a kiss. We were just a twosome so, drinks were cheap!⛳🏌️[emoji106]

Congrats, a surreal moment I’m sure.

Congratulations Huston! Many manufacturers will send you a 'hole-in-one' certificate or plaque if you used one of their clubs to get it, just need to send them the required information.

Congratulations Huston! Many manufacturers will send you a 'hole-in-one' certificate or plaque if you used one of their clubs to get it, just need to send them the required information.

One of my friends had a small trophy made with his hole in one ball. I lost mine in the water 2 holes later :LOL:

One of my friends had a small trophy made with his hole in one ball. I lost mine in the water 2 holes later :LOL:
Sorry to hear that, but it is funny. If I ever get another hole in one (last one was 55 years ago), I will put that ball in my bag for safekeeping until I get home.

Last edited:
One of my friends had a small trophy made with his hole in one ball. I lost mine in the water 2 holes later [emoji23]
Sorry to hear that, but it is funny. If I ever get another hole in one (last one was 55 years ago), I will put that ball bag in my bag for safekeeping until I get home.
Yeah, WADR not retiring a hole-in-one ball crosses the thin line between frugal and cheap. [emoji4]

Sorry to hear that, but it is funny. If I ever get another hole in one (last one was 55 years ago), I will put that ball in my bag for safekeeping until I get home.

Yeah, WADR not retiring a hole-in-one ball crosses the thin line between frugal and cheap. [emoji4]

My hole in one was witnessed by a good friend and knowing that I got one was good enough. I don't need anything else.

Remember the old 'Club Special' golf ball? I made my first hole in one with one in 1971. I was just a baby back then. Ha. Oh yes.....I got an ashtray with the golf ball mounted on it by Acushnet.....the manufacturer of the ball. I think they've moved on from ashtrays these days. ;)

Congrats Huston55.....a great way to start the year!

That is AWESOME! I’ve had a number of very close calls, but the ace remains elusive. The day I broke 80 (hasn’t happened since), a player in the group ahead of ours had an ace. Because the course was backed up that day, our group was standing just off the box and we were witnesses, therefore, we joined them on the 19th hole. Caught up in the euphoria, I also bought a round for breaking 80. Would gladly do it again for an ace.

CONGRATULATIONS!

Dear pros

I’m about to turn 56 and I’ve never really golfed other than a couple trips to the driving range as a kid. I found it pretty frustrating tbh, but I was a kid so…

I’ve been thinking about giving it a go. Clearly not a cheap hobby but I’m hoping it could be a social outlet since I have no non-working friends at the moment. I looked today and adult lessons are $150. How many will it take to get a noob going do you think?

Also is this a good idea at my age, ie would you take up golf at 56 knowing what you know now?

You may be able to get a package of lessons. Check your local courses. They often have programs set up for beginners, especially at this time of year. It may be in a group setting so you get to meet others just learning. They are running one by me starting next week. It will meet twice a week for 1 1/2 hours each day over three weeks. That will give you 9 hours of lessons for $250.

I think it’s great to learn at any age. You don’t have to be “ good” to enjoy it. You will likely find folks who played when younger and are taking it up again after years of not playing. With the right guys, even wide disparities in ability don’t prevent enjoyment.

Good luck!

Dear pros

I’m about to turn 56 and I’ve never really golfed other than a couple trips to the driving range as a kid. I found it pretty frustrating tbh, but I was a kid so…

I’ve been thinking about giving it a go. Clearly not a cheap hobby but I’m hoping it could be a social outlet since I have no non-working friends at the moment. I looked today and adult lessons are $150. How many will it take to get a noob going do you think?

Also is this a good idea at my age, ie would you take up golf at 56 knowing what you know now?

Definitely... great to get outdoors, get a little exercise and comaderie is great. I didn't know any of the people that I regularly golf with now until after I retired.

If I was just starting out I would try to find a good 2-day or 3-day golf school. I attended one about 20 years ago. You'll hit a lot of balls on the range, they'll work on grip, stance, alignment, swing, etc. At that juncture consistent contact is job 1. The golf school that I attended also included video of your swing and what the swing should be like, putting, reading greens, chipping, etc. On the last day a group of us played about 9 holes with an instructor and learned about course management.

Speaking of course management..... its essentially paying smart and not being stupid and trying to execute a low percentage shot to recover from your last bad shot which more often than not will just get yourself in more trouble.

An example from just yesterday. My drive was hittable but just a couple inches from a tree about 125 yards from the green with some overhanging brush between me and the fairway. The smart play would be to either take and unplayable lie (two club lengths, one shot penalty) or just putt it 10' or so out of trouble. But oh no... I thought that if I just hit a small, low 4 hybrid that I could advance the ball 30 yards or so and make that 3rd shot to the green easier. :facepalm: Well, I hit the 4 hybrid much better than I thought and it went across the fairway into the water. Found my ball and fished it out of the water, took a drop and hit the approach fat... it would have been in the water again, but the water is low so it is on dry dirt. I chop it out of there over the green to the fringe... two putts from there is a triple bogie 7 on what should be an easy, short par 4 that seems to find a way to bite me more often than not . :facepalm::facepalm:

Our club has a golf group called Duffers, Liars and Cheats that plays a mixed 9-hole scramble on Sunday afternoons. It was a great way for newcomers to enjoy the game, get tips from experienced players, learn golf etiquette, get to know people and socialize. We typically have drinks and dinner after golf. Most golf clubs (public or private) have similar groups or leagues.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom