Golf Talk Tuesdays - 2021

Excellent you tube podcast on managing expectations and how it will help your score. A number of golden nuggets here to remember.

Good stuff. When I play a lot I have higher expectations than normal. Human nature I guess. I hadn’t played a lot going into this past week and I broke 80 twice. One buddy who played college golf said my tempo was much better. So for me lower expectations and good tempo is very important. I wish I could bottle it. Ha.

Like everything else golf balls have been hit by inflation. I'm assuming something like Walmart is going to be the cheapest?

I hear you Midpack but would challenge every shot being a clean slate which the previous shot had no bearing. The position of the current shot has everything to do with how good or how bad the last shot was. I would also contend I've probably seen more bad shots followed up with bad shots as opposed to really good or excellent shots. Agree 100% with everything else though and especially having someone in the group constantly complaining about this that or whatever and basically being a PIA. Personally for me the key for playing good and scoring well is first patience, then smart course management and lastly no three putts.

I hear you Midpack but would challenge every shot being a clean slate which the previous shot had no bearing. The position of the current shot has everything to do with how good or how bad the last shot was. I would also contend I've probably seen more bad shots followed up with bad shots as opposed to really good or excellent shots. Agree 100% with everything else though and especially having someone in the group constantly complaining about this that or whatever and basically being a PIA. Personally for me the key for playing good and scoring well is first patience, then smart course management and lastly no three putts.
I knew someone would say that. I did not mean you can expect a birdie from anywhere. But no matter how bad the ball position, there is an optimal shot or two from there, and it’s an opportunity to execute same. So I stand by every shot is a clean slate to hit a brilliant shot given the circumstances. Doesn’t mean par is always likely, but you can still preserve lots of shots.

I do agree most people follow bad shots with another bad shot. My whole point is it does not have to be like that, and most people I play golf with may never grasp how many shots they just throw away unnecessarily. A good strike from a fairway bunker instead of giving away the hole can do wonders. A good recovery shot from an hazard instead of giving away the hole is just as rewarding as striping a drive. A good greenside sandie instead of giving away the hole is great fun. Even taking your medicine from hitting OB and limiting the damage instead of letting it turn into a snowman feels good to me.

I have several personal examples, but again after I carded a 39 with a 9 on the 4th hole, I finally got it. I recently had 44 on the front nine, and a 37 on the back. Most of my golf buddies would have blown the whole round. And yes, I have days where I never get on track, but I still enjoy the round thanks to a few good shots I might not have had if I’d given up early on.

We may still disagree, but unlike many I honestly enjoy every round I play. It’s FAR more enjoyable to play when every shot is a new opportunity, than to get off to a bad start and be miserable for the rest of the round. I see others do that almost every time I play. They might as well just go home than mope around for a couple more hours IMO.

Last edited:
Like everything else golf balls have been hit by inflation. I'm assuming something like Walmart is going to be the cheapest?

Depends on the type of ball you like to play, the tour level balls like Titleist ProV1's are expensive but probably don't vary much in price from one place to the next. Walmart has cheap ($) balls like Nitros, seem to find a lot of them at my local muni., players probably don't spend much time looking for them since they're so cheap.
The Costco Kirkland golf balls and Maxfli Tour balls have good reviews for a quality ball at a reasonable price, but not available at Walmart.

I knew someone would say that. I did not mean you can expect a birdie from anywhere. But no matter how bad the ball position, there is an optimal shot or two from there, and it’s an opportunity to execute same. So I stand by every shot is a clean slate to hit a brilliant shot given the circumstances. Doesn’t mean par is always likely, but you can still preserve lots of shots.

I do agree most people follow bad shots with another bad shot. My whole point is it does not have to be like that, and most people I play golf with may never grasp how many shots they just throw away unnecessarily. A good strike from a fairway bunker instead of giving away the hole can do wonders. A good recovery shot from an hazard instead of giving away the hole is just as rewarding as striping a drive. A good greenside sandie instead of giving away the hole is great fun. Even taking your medicine from hitting OB and limiting the damage instead of letting it turn into a snowman feels good to me.

I have several personal examples, but again after I carded a 39 with a 9 on the 4th hole, I finally got it. I recently had 44 on the front nine, and a 37 on the back. Most of my golf buddies would have blown the whole round. And yes, I have days where I never get on track, but I still enjoy the round thanks to a few good shots I might not have had if I’d given up early on.

We may still disagree, but unlike many I honestly enjoy every round I play. It’s FAR more enjoyable to play when every shot is a new opportunity, than to get off to a bad start and be miserable for the rest of the round. I see others do that almost every time I play. They might as well just go home than mope around for a couple more hours IMO.

I would posit that staying in that current clean slate moment, same perfect pre-shot routine without thinking about the last missed two foot putt, shank, pull hook, OB slice, screwing with your head, you are by far better than 99% of all golfers. Theoretically that next shot is a "clean slate" but the practical reality is that last screwed up shot is still floating around the grey matter regardless and not even the pros shake it off all the time. With that said, that's the mental part of the game that is toughest to conquer but makes the sport so challenging. I too enjoy every round be it a 78 or a 94 as long as you are with good company and understand, it's just a silly, wonderful, goofy game.

Last edited:
I would posit that staying in that current clean slate moment, same perfect pre-shot routine without thinking about the last missed two foot putt, shank, pull hook, OB slice, screwing with your head, you are by far better than 99% of all golfers. Theoretically that next shot is a "clean slate" but the practical reality is that last screwed up shot is still floating around the grey matter regardless and not even the pros shake it off all the time. With that said, that's the mental part of the game that is toughest to conquer but makes the sport so challenging. I too enjoy every round be it a 78 or a 94 as long as you are with good company and understand, it's just a silly, wonderful, goofy game.
Beating a dead horse, almost anyone can learn to play one shot at a time. It isn't easy, but it makes golf that much more enjoyable no matter who you're playing with IME. And you're more fun to play golf with as well. Once you really grasp it by seeing the benefits in your score, the bad thoughts are gone by the time you address the next shot - it's learning a new habit.

I know lots of guys who don't get it and never will - might even be most but hopefully not 99%. I'm not sure why they bother to play. They routinely let one bad shot or break lead to many more, and aren't even trying for the last X number of holes. I'd find another activity before I'd play golf if it often made me miserable.

And while pros may not shake it off every time, the ones you know by name almost always do...or you've never heard of them.
Successful amateurs and professionals only play one shot at a time. Sounds obvious, but it is true. Golf is very unique in that each shot is an independent action. Whatever happened on the previous shot cannot affect the current stroke. The present shot cannot affect any future shots. Many will argue that they do.
https://www.pga.com/story/avoid-pressure-on-the-golf-course-play-one-shot-at-a-time#

https://break80golf.com/one-shot-at-a-time/

Last edited:
Yes, the horse is dead. Now for a change of topic ! What's in your bag, besides golf clubs ? Me, sunscreen, Tylenol, icy hot, bug spray, allergy eye drops, two knee braces, back brace, a dozen extra balls (new) currently playing Bridgestones, extra gloves (new and used), tees, ball markers, green digger repair tool, rain gear, range finder, half dozen small pencils with erasers (very important) Sharpie, nail clipper, Swiss army knife type repair tool, bandaids, rules of golf book and a telescoping ball retriever (recently re-gripped), and a bag rag. What say you, have I missed anything ? That's my riding, cart bag inventory, if I'm pushing my clubs, half my clubs, an extra sleeve of balls, and a few tees.

Other than the usual golf stuff (balls, gloves, tees, etc.), I also carry extra cash, sunscreen, bug spray, bandaids, Tums or Gaviscon, golf coupon cards.

Yes, the horse is dead. Now for a change of topic ! What's in your bag, besides golf clubs ? Me, sunscreen, Tylenol, icy hot, bug spray, allergy eye drops, two knee braces, back brace, a dozen extra balls (new) currently playing Bridgestones, extra gloves (new and used), tees, ball markers, green digger repair tool, rain gear, range finder, half dozen small pencils with erasers (very important) Sharpie, nail clipper, Swiss army knife type repair tool, bandaids, rules of golf book and a telescoping ball retriever (recently re-gripped), and a bag rag. What say you, have I missed anything ? That's my riding, cart bag inventory, if I'm pushing my clubs, half my clubs, an extra sleeve of balls, and a few tees.

Ziploc bag with small toilet paper roll, rubber gloves and hand sanitizer.... Needed it twice in 40 years. Long very funny story maybe another time...

good luck

wally

I’ve been rolling along shooting my usual low to mid 80’s when out of the blue I shot a 36-36-72 yesterday on my home course, my best round ever (in 59 years). I honestly have no idea why, so no reason to expect it again. :crazy: It was with my favorite foursome, so that was a nice bonus. My previous best was a 73, when I was 19 yo, 50 years ago :confused:

Attachments

• IMG_2770.jpeg
    IMG_2770.jpeg
    109.8 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Excellent job Midpack, must be some good mojo in the air as I carded my personal best this past week with a 77. Forty-two on the front, one under thirty-five on the back. My tee to green game is pretty consistent but that day, my chipping and putting were spot on. Later in the week, played a more more difficult course and carded a 90, with multiple three putts. Golf is a silly, wonderful game where every once in awhile it all comes together. But the golf Gods are nefarious and will bring you back to earth anytime you think you got it all figured out. Good shooting Midpack.

Golf is a silly, wonderful game where every once in awhile it all comes together. But the golf Gods are nefarious and will bring you back to earth anytime you think you got it all figured out.
Congrats to you too. Good summary of golf, no matter how good you get, the game will humble you at any time (most of the time).

I’ve been rolling along shooting my usual low to mid 80’s when out of the blue I shot a 36-36-72 yesterday on my home course, my best round ever (in 59 years). I honestly have no idea why, so no reason to expect it again. :crazy: It was with my favorite foursome, so that was a nice bonus. My previous best was a 73, when I was 19 yo, 50 years ago :confused:

Wow! That’s great. Congratulations.

Yes, the horse is dead. Now for a change of topic ! What's in your bag, besides golf clubs ?
- Telescoping ball retriever
- portable solar charger
- (hanging on side) 2 golf towels, golf club brush
- 16 golf balls
- 20 tees
- (summer) cold pack
- water bottle
- Peanut M&Ms (do not melt or get sticky in hot weather)
- bug spray
- ibuprofen
- allergy tablets (May-June, September)
- Clear Eyes (May-June, September)
- golf gloves (2)
- sharpie
- divot repair tool (retractable type)
- first aid kit
- rain poncho
- (winter and chilly mornings) winter gloves and earmuffs
- Bushnell Phantom range finder
- sunglasses and case

On rainy looking days when I am walking, I will add a golf umbrella.

I’ve been rolling along shooting my usual low to mid 80’s when out of the blue I shot a 36-36-72 yesterday on my home course, my best round ever (in 59 years).

Congrats! That is great!

Well Done!!! :dance::dance::dance:

PGA and LIV merging, lol. Money talks and BS walks!

Lets have a toast to all those who bashed LIV golf. Cheers!

This will be the day remembered for Brandel Shamblee jumping off the Tallahatchie bridge.

A teachable moment for everyone regarding the cost of company loyalty.

Last edited:
Id love to know the back room deal that took place. How much money did LIV funnel to the PGA where they just couldnt say no anymore? Must have been a staggering amount considering the PGA has done nothing but bashed LIV from the jump. Wonder if old man Jack will change his tune. LIV golfers dont even exist to him anymore.

Guess you can have your cake and eat it too. This is a monumental win for LIV.

Id love to know the back room deal that took place. How much money did LIV funnel to the PGA where they just couldnt say no anymore? Must have been a staggering amount considering the PGA has done nothing but bashed LIV from the jump. Wonder if old man Jack will change his tune. LIV golfers dont even exist to him anymore.

Guess you can have your cake and eat it too. This is a monumental win for LIV.

Will it end up as a merger or more of a takeover? Only time will tell!

This will be the day remembered for Brandel Shamblee jumping off the Tallahatchie bridge.

A teachable moment for everyone regarding the cost of company loyalty.

I wonder if he still wants to do a sit down with Phil? That would be interesting!

this will be interesting to see how Golf plays out?
Will LIV still do 54 hole tourneys?
If so does World Golf rating give 54 tourneys less points?
Will PGA players be able to play LIV tourneys?
ETC ETC

Bet some players (TIGER) is kicking self in BUTT, I could have had BILLIONS !!!

It will take me a little while to decide what I think of the PGA-LIV merger. For now I am just surprised and disappointed. Will be interesting to see what loyal PGA players say...

Back
Top Bottom