Golf Talk Tuesdays - 2021

Dear pros

I’m about to turn 56 and I’ve never really golfed other than a couple trips to the driving range as a kid. I found it pretty frustrating tbh, but I was a kid so…

I’ve been thinking about giving it a go. Clearly not a cheap hobby but I’m hoping it could be a social outlet since I have no non-working friends at the moment. I looked today and adult lessons are $150. How many will it take to get a noob going do you think?

Also is this a good idea at my age, ie would you take up golf at 56 knowing what you know now?
Our mantra when we retired was to join anything and everything to see IF we liked it, don't analyze, just do it. If you don't enjoy it, move on to something else, you have nothing to lose - life is too short to hesitate.

I've played golf for over 50 years. There's no reason you shouldn't give golf a whirl at 56. Don't try to teach yourself to play, odds of that working are VERY slim. Group lessons are a good way to start, and if you get interested you can go for one on one lessons from a pro if you want. How fast you pick it up will depend on your natural ability. Some people take to it easily, some don't and don't enjoy it anyway - most of us are probably somewhere in between.

And if you decide you do like it, you have the distinct advantage of age. There are senior golf leagues almost everywhere, most have players of all abilities, but some will be happy "duffers" - I would recommend you join one. You won't have to worry about getting paired with young men or women who are much stronger and longer than you are. You'll learn more about the game, make some (golf) contacts, and in time probably some regulars to play with if you're so inclined.

Golf isn't that outrageously expensive unless you want to join a private club. Playing munis and other public courses are quite reasonable. I know some very good players who only buy second hand clubs, and have found more top quality golf balls than they will ever be able to use (lose). They buy golf clothes and other equipment on sale.

We thought boating and joining fitness clubs would be our social network, both went no where, but glad we tried. We moved on and golf, pickle ball, paddle board yoga, tai chi, etc. have turned out to be the best social outlets for DW and I in retirement. Wouldn't have happened if we sat around wondering if we should try to join others.

Last edited:
Dear pros

I’m about to turn 56 and I’ve never really golfed other than a couple trips to the driving range as a kid. I found it pretty frustrating tbh, but I was a kid so…

I’ve been thinking about giving it a go. Clearly not a cheap hobby but I’m hoping it could be a social outlet since I have no non-working friends at the moment. I looked today and adult lessons are $150. How many will it take to get a noob going do you think?

Also is this a good idea at my age, ie would you take up golf at 56 knowing what you know now?

From back to front, yes, 56 is as good as any age to start playing the game. Qualifier, I'm going on 72 and have been playing since 14 and still get my butt kicked with regularity by folks who didn't start playing until later in life.

Golf doesn't need to be expensive as pointed out by others. I think paying $150 for a lesson is pretty steep you should be able to do much better for half that price or less. There are a plethora of great you tube videos that offer sound instruction for free.

Last but least golf does take a certain degree of hand/eye coordination and athleticism. There are many aspects to the game, putting, chipping, short game, irons, and driving to name a few. It is one of the most frustrating games you will ever play but also one of the most rewarding. It can be played with all age groups and sexes due to the handicapping and tee placements.

I leave it at, it's the greatest game man ever invented, simply hitting a round ball with a stick into a hole. Played pretty much within the six inches between yours ears and blessed with a number of arcane, silly, archaic and complicated rules, which not even the pros know or follow some of time. All that said, millions love and enjoy it.

I'm 79 and started back after a 12 year layoff two years ago. I was very good for many years and quit due to two hip replacements and other family commitments.

I gave away my original old clubs years ago and found a decent set (used) for $125.00 locally and started back. It's was like starting all over again....really.

Well, I play once a week on average and I'm shooting in the high 80's to low 90's, but playing from the "senior" tees.

It's a fun game but tough to get decent at. It takes a lot of practice and dedication and you must have some level of natural ability to be consistent.

Even if you end up being a mediocre to average player, it get you outside with friends and having some fun.

I just did a search on this thread and saw lots of discourse about LIV. I tuned in to a few LIV tournaments on TV, and I must say they aren't impressive, imho. I mean the presentation, the announcers, etc. There is a big banner going down the left side of the screen, with unreadable information. There is never a name under a golfer. We have to be able to identify him by sight. I was watching the Adelaide tournament yesterday and they had some loud party music blasting in the background. What the hay ? I guess I'm just not 'with it' or something, lol. I will keep watching LIV, I guess, but I really prefer the old school TV golf with Jim Nance, readable graphics, quiet, and names under the golfers.

JGIII I don't think you are the demographic LIV is looking for. I'm pretty nobody reading this forum is the right demographic...:dance:

JGIII I don't think you are the demographic LIV is looking for. I'm pretty nobody reading this forum is the right demographic...:dance:

I was just watching some more of the LIV Adelaide tournament. Patrick Reed (a golfer I like to watch) was teeing off and they were blasting Ozzy Osbourne ( a hard rock musician whom I like, but that's beside the point) . And they had a decibel meter displaying how loud the crowd noise was. Good grief. Is there a Gen-Z crowd out there who wants this? I can't believe it. And, yes, get off my lawn, LIV, lol.

I have zero interest in LIV, hope they fail spectacularly (don’t care to elaborate), but time will tell.
But after spending billions getting the league off the ground and recruiting some of golf’s most entertaining talent, LIV’s foothold with golf fans remains close to 20 percent the size of the PGA Tour.
https://golf.com/news/liv-tv-ratings-tucson/

Last edited:
The crowd at LIV Adelaide is nothing like the crowds at LIV tournaments in the US. The Aussies are starving for tour level golf and it attracted a decent crowd, they've been given away tickets for free at some of the LIV tournaments in the US. Maybe they should turn it into an Australian based tour.

Dear pros

I took up golf when I was 50. I tried it once when I was younger, but the course not having lefty clubs, and (IMHO based on their comments and actions) a not-so-friendly attitude towards minorities, it was not a fun day. Fortunately, a lot has changed since the 1970s :).

If you focus on your own small improvements over time, and not worry about what others are doing, you will enjoy it. Be happy with just getting out and playing, you will enjoy it more and more over time (and having a short memory for bad swings helps :D). Learn to be a "ready" golfer. I have a couple of scratch golfer friends who frequently ask me to play with them - not because I approach them in skill (HA!), but because they say I keep things moving when on the course.

Learn to be a "ready" golfer. I have a couple of scratch golfer friends who frequently ask me to play with them - not because I approach them in skill (HA!), but because they say I keep things moving when on the course.

This is the bottom line for any golfer I’ve golfed with. Keep an extra ball in your pocket and keep moving. I’ve never been a good golfer but I’ve had a lot of fun and never had a friend give me any grief for my final score. They only care about their score and that no one is holding them up. I keep moving and am always conscious of pace of play. If I’m waiting on the group in front of me, I’ll take more time than when when it’s just us. Then I’m moving along with the group.

This is the bottom line for any golfer I’ve golfed with. Keep an extra ball in your pocket and keep moving. I’ve never been a good golfer but I’ve had a lot of fun and never had a friend give me any grief for my final score. They only care about their score and that no one is holding them up. I keep moving and am always conscious of pace of play. If I’m waiting on the group in front of me, I’ll take more time than when when it’s just us. Then I’m moving along with the group.
I play regularly with over 20-30 guys. We're always giving new guys a try, but the ones who slow us down and/or [-]cheat[/-] don't know the rules or proper etiquette don't get invited back. We don't care how you play, we have guys ranging from near scratch to 20 HI's, all welcome.

+1 on LIV...mostly has-beens, and also new golfers... Play ready-golf and move along and you are welcome, don't and go play elsewhere. And don't waste a lot of time looking for lost balls... If you don't see it, you'll probably have to take a stroke anyway, and they make lots of new balls every day.

And don't waste a lot of time looking for lost balls... If you don't see it, you'll probably have to take a stroke anyway, and they make lots of new balls every day.
I usually look for 30-60 seconds if at all - in deep I don’t bother. Only reason I look at all is the penalty stroke more than losing a ball. Snakes and poison ivy are also not worth the risk where I am.

I buy balls (2:1 Maxfli Tour:proV1) but if I find a like new ProV1(X)/AVX I’ll use it after marking. Anything else I find I give to others or leave them on the fairway for someone else to “find.”

Many of my golf buds who can well afford to buy balls will not. Some have 5 gallon buckets full of balls at home. And one told me ‘you have to be stupid to buy golf balls…’

Last edited:
I usually look for 30-60 seconds if at all - in deep I don’t bother. Only reason I look at all is the penalty stroke more than losing a ball. Snakes and poison ivy are also not worth the risk where I am.

The senior league I play in now treats balls in the woods the same as a water hazard...drop a ball where it entered and add a stroke (instead of stroke and distance). Therefore, there's no advantage to looking for a ball in the trees unless it's fairly open and you think you can advance it a worthwhile distance.

The groups I play with usually do the three minute rule looking for lost balls unless no one is pushing us, then we might take a few more minutes. Fortunately most of us are pretty straight hitters, so it is very seldom a problem. I do have a phobia about picking up a found ball and playing with it during the round as the golf Gods frown upon such malfeasance and will immediately bless you with a three putt double bogey or worse ! Trust me on this.

The senior league I play in now treats balls in the woods the same as a water hazard...drop a ball where it entered and add a stroke (instead of stroke and distance). Therefore, there's no advantage to looking for a ball in the trees unless it's fairly open and you think you can advance it a worthwhile distance.

Similar to Midpack, I’m not going in the woods. Mosquitoes, ticks, branches to trip over . . . Just not worth it.

Our league has the same rule as Music Lover - drop a ball and take a one stroke penalty. That’s also what I do when out with friends. No one cares, they just want to keep moving.

Unless you are pounding balls in the woods or water like crazy, golf balls are the most inexpensive part of the game. :D

Plus, duffers like me at age 79 usually buy used golf balls online cheap or from some kid selling recovered balls between holes. I ask the kids to give me golf balls for XMAS and that generally gets me couple of dozen to feed to the water holes over the year.

Last edited:
My first game of the season yesterday, the last time I picked up a club was September. I went with a friend to the local "feel good" course, par 69, 6000 yards, flat, not much trouble. I'm about a 14 handicap.

I shot 80, which included a triple and a pair of doubles. Two birdies, two other missed birdies inside 10'.

It's funny how you can stop playing for 7 months, skip a warmup, ignore the putting green, and still shoot a good score.

Yup, you forgot all your bad habits.
+1. Back when I lived up north and played a season of golf every year - typically mid Apr to mid Nov, I usually played better in Spring than in Fall. I swear with golf, the more I think, the poorer I play…:crazy:

Excellent you tube podcast on managing expectations and how it will help your score. A number of golden nuggets here to remember.

Excellent you tube podcast on managing expectations and how it will help your score. A number of golden nuggets here to remember.
I am sure that works for some/many people, but the key to enjoying golf and playing well is simpler than that to me. Once you really internalize every single shot is a clean slate, and the last shot has no bearing on the present, it's easier to enjoy golf. Who hasn't duffed a shot, only to hit a beauty on the next swing? The round that cemented the idea in my head was a 39 for 9 holes, where I took a 9 on the par 4 4th hole. It would have been easy to just give up on that round, but by playing every shot as new opportunity, I surprised myself. I will never forget that round, and I never looked back.

I enjoy golf itself every round whether I score well or not, the only difference between the two is the ratio of great:good:bad shots I hit - every round has some of each. Even on an off day, I will hit some great shots. On the rare occasion I don't enjoy a round, it's because of who I am playing with, not how I am playing.

Last edited:
I am sure that works for some/many people, but the key to enjoying golf and playing well is simpler than that to me. Once you really internalize every single shot is a clean slate, and the last shot has no bearing on the present, it's easier to enjoy golf. Who hasn't duffed a shot, only to hit a beauty on the next swing? The round that cemented the idea in my head was a 39 for 9 holes, where I took a 9 on the par 4 4th hole. It would have been easy to just give up on that round, but by playing every shot as new opportunity, I surprised myself. I will never forget that round, and I never looked back.

I enjoy golf itself every round whether I score well or not, the only difference between the two is the ratio of great:good:bad shots I hit - every round has some of each. Even on an off day, I will hit some great shots. On the rare occasion I don't enjoy a round, it's because of who I am playing with, not how I am playing.

I look at it that way too...every hole is a new game. I don't practice, warmup, or even go to the putting green. So, why should I be surprised or get upset when I make a double or a triple? Instead, I'm more likely to think to myself: "I made 2 birdies and had a chance to break 80."

I played with a friend that I only play with once or twice a year because he gets flustered too easily and a bad hole can ruin his day. He even got rattled when we were asked to join a twosome that was teeing off one group earlier to accommodate a mix-up in the pro shop. No big deal to me, but he suddenly felt rushed.

Back
Top Bottom