Host gift ideas needed

omni550

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm traveling to Europe soon. I am still racking my brain for a suitable "host gift" for a male living in Germany. I've already got gifts for everyone in his family except for him

I haven't met him yet so I don't know about any hobbies or interests; all I know about him currently is that he's a father of 4, a successful dentist, and is 50 years old.

Obviously, something fairly small, lightweight, unbreakable would be good; extra points for something U.S.-specific.

omni

If your can score really good American beer, it might be nice, but they are hard to come by (Heady Topper or Pliny the Elder come to mind).
Maybe Bourbon?
Anything locally grown where you live? Peanuts? Pecans? Macademia nuts?
Local deserts, like fudge or brittle?
These are all rare in Germany.

Bourbon is a good one. Also agree anything local to your area.

I took a local cookbook as a host gift to a family in New Zealand, and they were very intrigued with it. Especially as it included a lot of party recipes with loads of alcohol (think Ammunition Punch). So I'm pretty sure they thought I lived in a place full of lushes!

I like the idea of a bourbon or a local wine or jams or honeys. I got a Pendleton's catalog today and they have some nice men's mufflers. You might see if you have a nearby art league that sells various handmade items. One near me has things like carved wood business card holders, pens, bottle stoppers. A vintage item like a nice pen or bottle opener or Zippo lighter (if you can transport such an item by plane nowadays) might also be a possibility.

JFK remains very popular in Germany due to his visit in the 60's and his Ich Bin Ein Berliner speech. I recently purchased a first edition of Schlesinger's One Thousand Days at a library book sale (without dust jacket for a quarter). Some used book stores have many copies of this book and it might also be a unique and appreciated gift.

Last edited:
Obviously, something fairly small, lightweight, unbreakable would be good; extra points for something U.S.-specific.
omni

Cross pen. Fits the above description and it's made in Rhode Island.

Thanks, everyone, for the great ideas. :flowers: I've now got a list that I can go shopping with.

omni

I once brought a German friend a book about the US National Parks system (with lots of photos), which he seemed to like. I think it was published by National Geographic Society, but there are other national parks books out there. He was a friend who I already knew was interested in nature, however. There are also some good national parks calendars published.

Really good suggestions. Bourbon, local jelly or fruit preserve, local cook book make excellent gifts. One more options: a book of photographs or cultural atlas of the region where you live or identify with.

Back
Top Bottom