Knowing if one has what it takes to be an expat

Some people find "adventure" or young economically disadvantaged women to be sufficient reason to put up with stuff like this, as well as toxic air and all the other 3rd world nifties.

I think for me it would only be if I absolutely could not afford to continue to live in an advanced country.

Ha

I am sure that you can find adventurous economically disadvantaged women to fulfill your whimsy wherever you go.

Great story Michael. As an expat living in the USA I could go on for hours about the language gaff's that I have made.

Me too!:)

The first 6 months after I arrived in the US were probably the best of my life. Yes, I did make a fool of myself on more than one occasion. But it was such an adventure that it didn't matter much!

All of DW’s extended family members are expats, as are some of mine. They come from and live in developed and emerging countries in the Americas, Asia, Europe and the Middle East. Together we have lived most of our lives as expats. Yet I have never heard any stories about the things being discussed here. They certainly do exist but in no way represent the norm. Exploitation and cruelty are not exclusive to developing societies.

I have always questioned people moving abroad just to lower their cost of living, because that usually involves other trade-offs they may not be aware of or ready for. This thread gives the idea that expat living is like an Indiana Jones Movie, with unforeseen dangers and repulsive cultural characteristics everywhere.

My experience is there are friendly people everywhere who have a lot in common, especially the desire for opportunities for their children and material well-being for themselves. Most places can be warm, friendly, and “home” as long as people are smart about how they live. There are also dangerous living conditions everywhere – even the US. There are bad locations and there are people that make bad choices.

As for what constitutes a successful expat? The only thing I can say is that all of our expat family members and friends have on common characteristic: they all seem to enjoy life wherever they find themselves...

Last edited:
As an expat living in the USA I could go on for hours about the language gaff's that I have made.

The first 6 months after I arrived in the US were probably the best of my life. Yes, I did make a fool of myself on more than one occasion. But it was such an adventure that it didn't matter much!

Sound like we have a lot in common and plenty of stories to share over some beers …

This reminds me of a story

A Brazilian friend was assigned to the Venezuelan sub as an executive.......

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Oh to be a fly on the wall at that meeting!

haha said:
I think for me it would only be if I absolutely could not afford to continue to live in an advanced country.

I'd love to stay in an "advanced" country, but the way things are going in the US, Western Europe, etc. I'm scared of Big Brother (and Uncle CEO) having more and more influence and citizens having less and less rights. At some point I may have to move out of these "advanced" countries to one without as much ability to monitor and track me.

There isn't just one way to say it, although all seem to agree that "New Orleeeenz" isn't it.
It's hard for me to understand the phonetic notation in the authority you give, especially the difference between <new> and <nyoo>. What all the local pronunciations given here:
have in common, in distinction from how it is said elsewhere, is that they do not have stress on the last syllable. That is, local "new ORleans" but foreign "new orLEANS".

I'd love to stay in an "advanced" country, but the way things are going in the US, Western Europe, etc. I'm scared of Big Brother (and Uncle CEO) having more and more influence and citizens having less and less rights. At some point I may have to move out of these "advanced" countries to one without as much ability to monitor and track me.

I know what you're saying but where would you move?

Here is a link to Carleton (Canada) University's country ranking tables from its Country Indicators for Foreign Policy Project, which seems to have a good reputation: Country Ranking Table 2007

I have lived in so many places that I have no particular expectation of how any place "should be". I learned very early in life that you just have to go with the flow and accept what "is" wherever you may be.

I'm trying to imagine a place with more rights and less influence than the U.S.

Switzerland? Canada? The Cayman Islands? Australia?

Even if you find a first-world country like that, I'm not sure how the rest of the "quality of life" factors would compare.

I have lived in so many places that I have no particular expectation of how any place "should be". I learned very early in life that you just have to go with the flow and accept what "is" wherever you may be.
Unless of course you can have a good degree of control over where you find yourself, then you can indulge your preferences.

It seems to me that autonomy in life resides in large part in how many areas in which you are free to choose what you want, not what someone else chooses for you.

Ha

Grew up in Dallas saying, "New Or-lens" for that magical, mystical city we all love:

In the heart of the night
In the cool southern rain
There's a full moon in sight
Shining down on the Pontchartrain

And the river she rises
Like she used to do
She's so full of surprises
She reminds me of you
In the heart of the night

There's a nightbird singing
Right on through till the dawn
And the streets are still ringing
With people carrying on

It's been so long waiting
Just to be here again
Anticipating
All the time I could spend
In the heart of the night down in New Orleans
In the heart of the night down in New Orleans

And I trust in your love never falling down
And I trust in your love
Just like I do in this town never falling down

And I'm so glad to be back in New Orleans
Please don't wake me, don't shake me,
If this is only just a dream
It's the only place I can face that feels so right
Below that Dixie moon and loving you
In the Heart of the Night

Even if you find a first-world country like that, I'm not sure how the rest of the "quality of life" factors would compare.
Depends on what rights you are interested in. Of course, there are always trade-offs.

Got a list? :)

Nords said:

I agree. That's why I said one might not be able to live in an "advanced" (as Ha put it) country. Most, if not all, of the first world countries seem to be moving that way, and rapidly as technology progresses.

At some point it may be a tradeoff of living in a first world big brother society or living in a third world, government doesn't care society. I'm sure many will choose the former.

One of the features we like about Mexico is the survival of the fitttest, live and let live attitude. There are no safety nets. Or railings...

I'm more worried about the guys behind me who might accidentally jostle me as I'm leaning over the edge to admire the scenery...
That is more common in over-populated areas, especially where there are gypies:LOL:

I'm seen generic advice on what it takes to be an expat about how country's civil and criminal legal codes and their implementation vary widely. That one needs to understand things taken for granted like presumption of innocence and the power of contracts are far from universal. Good advice, but what does it mean in practice? In some countries it means the following.

Ask yourself if you could live in a country where you had two options after being cheated* out of the home you purchased: 1) accept it, 2) pour money into a black hole of legal fees in a hopeless and endless quest. *By cheated I mean all means illegal, quasi-legal or with the force of law behind them. Don't focus on the word 'cheat'.
... feels weird quoting myself ...

Anyway, here is a sad tale of a man from England who did not accept that he was cheated out of his home and business. He's now pouring good money after bad while his children are in England living on public assistance.

His initial problems last December Farmer Joe -Thailand?s Bernard Matthews

His current situation Farmer Joe loses water-tight 30-year lease in Thailand

The lesson here is know before moving to a country what it means to be a foreigner in their legal system. Then ask yourself if you can live with that. Farmer Joe thought he had a "water tight" lease. Doesn't exist for foreigners.

I think the problem often is people move to foreign countries and lose their common sense.

The issue of foreigners owning property in Thailand is well documented along with the issues in Spain. I would love to live in Thailand for a while as an expat, but you can guarantee I won't be buying a property.

I think the problem often is people move to foreign countries and lose their common sense.

The issue of foreigners owning property in Thailand is well documented along with the issues in Spain. I would love to live in Thailand for a while as an expat, but you can guarantee I won't be buying a property.

"the issues in Spain....." :confused::confused:

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I have been following this post since the beginning and thought perhaps I could tell my story and it may just give some insight to those thinking about living abroad during retirement. Just some ideas from my own experience that may be helpful or maybe not, in which case I apologize for taking your time.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I have lived outside the US since 1974. I recently returned here to the US and am now an expat in my own country. I made this decision because I know, when I am older and may not be able to live on my own, I do not want to live with one of my sons and their families. I want to have the option of making a choice and that may have to be an assisted living type arrangement. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I am now healthy, probably more healthy than I have ever been, now that I have time to take care of myself and not worry about j*bs or children or a husband. I have purposely come here to try and get used to this country where I feel very much a foreigner. In 35 years you miss a lot. I don't know the TV shows or the “famous” people many talk about. I don't get the jokes sometimes. I do know that while I am still young enough to learn, I must re-adopt this country that I left so long ago and actually never really missed. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I will keep my home in Italy, it is paid for and upkeep is minimal. It is my paradise, my safe haven. Still, I will stay here part of the year and learn to live this other life also. I know I need to do this and I have always been one to plan ahead and not leave things to chance if I can help it. So here I am.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Those of you who are only now embarking on or wishing to embark on your expat experience, keep this in mind. You may have to or want to come back when you are no longer as self-sufficient as you are now. In which case, you better have thought it all out. How to return and the money and healthcare needs that may arise in the future. Retirement is not all about (only) now, but many of us will reach declining years when it may not be best suited to being on your own without the support network that the US is famous for (assisted living, hospice, etc). I am not talking about Medical, as I actually love my Doctors in Italy much more than the ones I have had occassion to meet with her. Find the whole system here so cold and impersonal... :blush: I am not only talking to the single people, couples will face, sooner or later, that one of the couple will die or get too sick to care for. Perhaps a third-world country can offer very inexpensive 24/7 in home care, but I am not sure that would be what I would want, personally. I would want to speak my first language. Although I am fluent in Italian, will I retain that if perhaps my mind starts going? I certainly hope I “go” in my sleep long before any of this is needed. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I consider myself very fortunate to be able to make this choice today. I will be popping back and forth as I like for now. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I am just planning for the future, so that I can live my life on a whim. [/FONT]

Queenie

Back
Top Bottom