Making friends in new location

Based on the age of players, Pickleball is misnamed.
It should be called Prune-ball!
LOL

Based on the age of players, Pickleball is misnamed.
It should be called Prune-ball!
LOL

Ahem. I am not even 60 years old yet, and the group I play with has players in the 20’s all the way up to 80+. The 81 year old looks like he’s no older than 70 and he gets around pretty good for the first hour (before his knees start hurting).

The reason pickleball is becoming so popular is that it can be played at such disparate levels. It can be a relatively slow game or it can leave bruises.

I’ve met hundreds of people by taking up pickleball. It’s a very social sport and the people I’ve met are really nice. If you have courts in your neighborhood you will likely see many of your neighbors there and get to know them while playing together.

Even my introverted self knows tons of new people due to pickleball.

MakerSpace. Investing groups. Political outreach. Volunteer at ski mountain. Volunteer for mountain bike trails.

Give Toastmasters a try! The organization's membership exceeds 364,000 in more than 16,200 clubs in 145 countries. Toastmasters is the world’s largest non-profit communication and leadership organization. Use this link https://www.toastmasters.org/find-a-club
to find a club near you. Many clubs are currently meeting online.

First off we moved to a community that is like a 55+ but has no age restrictions. Lots of people here our age. We talk by the pool or when we are out and about. One guy has a boat and he has invited us many a time to go out on the lake with him and the others we have met here. We immediately joined a walking group and made some “ friends”. Our community has a Facebook page and met other people through that.

In addition, through Facebook we learned of a group of like minded people ( political) and meet up with them at least monthly and correspond through other avenues through phone apps and so forth.

In fact, one of many reasons we moved here was because 15 years ago we joined a movement ( political) that involved relocating here and we now also meet up once or twice per month at a restaurant with some regional so folks from that group. We also participate in community service events with them.

My husband joined a sportsman’s club also.

Our local parks and recreation dept. has activities. Limited right now due to COVID but you can meet people in group activities that way as well.

Then there’s church or synagogue, etc. Spirts activities, too.

Bottom line -check your local newspaper for happenings in your area and put yourself out there.

PS I am a borderline introvert but very social. Hubby is an introvert but I drag him among and make him socialize. Lol!

Though I don’t like playing games I even accepted an invitation to play cards at a neighbors house. Do it all until you find your way.

Due to the virus there’s been no gatherings/activities at our HOA clubhouse but as soon as there are we will be attending all of them.

Last edited:
OLLI (Osher Lifelong Learning Institute) is a great place to meet friendly retired people, if you happen to have one in your area. Each state has one or two; some have several.

+1 OLLI is great! Right now (at least in our city) it is completely online, so hard to meet folks, but when it’s in person it is a wonderful way to meet people who have similar interests.

We're in Vietnam temporarily, probably moving on soon when the pandemic allows...to Turkey. We haven't made friends in Vietnam because we never expected to stay but I'm a gregarious fellow and just strike up conversations with pretty much anybody, as long as it's in English. My Vietnamese is awful.

Anyway, I'm British so a pub is my temple. When we move to Turkey I intend to be more sociable and find a regular pub. I like quizzes and singing so I'll probably fit in with other expats. Also, I like extreme sports, so I'll take up paragliding again and meet people through that. Oh, and motorcycling but that's a bit more of a solitary activity. Group hikes are also good for making friends: lots of time and nothing to do but walk, talk and contemplate.

I didn't move after retirement, but I moved 30 times until I ended up where I am (and hopefully will stay here for the rest of my life). I hate moving! :LOL:

By nature, and by habit, I am a shy introvert. But, being shy or an introvert is a luxury that I can't afford after a move, until establishing sufficient friendships in the new location.

So, after each move, I did all my chores, laundry, and grocery shopping during the week. Then I devoted 24 hours a day throughout the entire weekend to doing things that would allow me to be around potential friends with like interests. This is like pulling teeth for an introvert but you gotta do what you gotta do. There are a lot of good suggestions on this thread so think about them and think about which ones would most easily result in new friendships with compatible people. You can't make friends if you stay at home alone.

Oh, and one tip: No matter where you are moving, people will tell you that it's hard to make friends there, that the locals are very clannish and exclude outsiders, and so on. Or at least people told ME that. You should have heard what my Baton Rouge friends said about how clannish New Orleanians are!! :) Not so. In my experience if you appreciate the new town and local culture and how things are done there, rather than trying to bring your old town with you, then people everywhere are reasonably receptive to newcomers. Of course some may not have room in their lives for another friend, but that's not their fault and you will be meeting lots of others as well.

Tesla community is growing. Possibly get on the wait list for the Cybertruck and, when you get it, you might be the talk of the town! :LOL:

As other(s) stated, meetup.com if you're safe about it. It's an online community. Volunteering, if you're up for it. It feels good. Church or whatever religious belief you have is a strong community.

Last edited:
I’ve made lots of friends by joining interest-based facebook groups, in my case hiking, waterfalls, local events, and dog events/breeds. I also meet people in dog parks and walking around our neighborhoods. All I need is a friendly person with a few of the same interests, and I feel connected enough. I must admit I also consider many habits and beliefs as “ruling out,” so I’m thrilled when I meet ladies who tick many of the desired boxes and none of the no-go ones. It’s true gold if they have a spouse or partner that my DH connects with also.

Last edited:
If you enjoy riding a bicycle, a bicycling club is an excellent way to meet people. If you don't already have much experience, find a recreationally oriented club and see if you can attend a meeting, or join one of their beginner rides. Most clubs want to draw in new members, and you'll be amazed at how welcoming they can be. Cyclist appearances can be a little intimidating at first - but don't let the Lycra put you off. Most clubs grade the difficulty of their rides using a scale, e.g., A,B,C,D, with for example D being the easiest level. It is always wise to choose one level under what you might think you are capable of for the first outing. The great thing about bike clubs is that you have a lot of time to get to know the other riders as you cruise along engaged in chit chat. Most clubs host overnight weekend rides, holiday parties, so it can really become a key social outlet. If you are not currently athletic - it's always smart to get a medical exam before engaging in a new physical activity.

Yes, join area clubs and Senior Center. Volunteer. join a gym or exercise group, look for Meetup or other groups (including Volkswalking). Also look for well established service clubs (Lions, Rotary, etc).
When you are moved in permanently, consider using your driveway for a drop in "happy hour" place for your neighborhood. they bring over their lawn chairs and beverage of choice. I'm in the process of creating "mingle bingo" cards on Etsy that would include things like "owns a boat", "plays golf" for people in a group to get to know each other better and develop friendships.

Back
Top Bottom