Ooma whole house connection

Yes, on closer inspection I think you are correct about that.

However, you just never know what someone might have done along the way, and I'm just a little squeamish suggesting that unless the [-]OP[/-] (woops, not OP, but omni550 in post # 19) is going to verify it with a voltmeter. But I still give you 99.99% certainty you are correct.

For example, I had some problems with the phone wiring to an extension in our house. L1 had opened somewhere, but I found that L2 was still good, so at a junction closer to the box, I swapped L1 and L2. Works for me, but might confuse someone down the road.

-ERD50

If you have a spare phone cable with a jack on both ends, cut one jack off, strip the red and green wires off, and put alligator clips on them. Then you can make a regular phone a butt set. Clip red to red green to green and you do better than a voltmeter. A butt set is what the lineperson uses to test the lines to the house. If the line is still active see if you get a dial tone. Then you could disconnect wires at the terminals and see which set gets you a dial tone.

If you have a spare phone cable with a jack on both ends, cut one jack off, strip the red and green wires off, and put alligator clips on them. Then you can make a regular phone a butt set. Clip red to red green to green and you do better than a voltmeter. A butt set is what the lineperson uses to test the lines to the house. If the line is still active see if you get a dial tone. Then you could disconnect wires at the terminals and see which set gets you a dial tone.

And then you also have the tools and expertise to snoop on your neighbors! :LOL:

Seriously, that's a great way to do it. I've got one in my tool kit, I should have thought of that.

Related to all this, I recall years ago, my uncle said he bought a new (at the time) fancy phone, and it would not work on a certain jack in his house, but the old phone worked on that jack.

I checked with a voltmeter - tip & ring (red & green) were reversed. The old phones didn't care about polarity, but this newer one did. I swapped the wires and labelled it (easier than finding the source in an old building) - fixed.

-ERD50

Thanks, everyone for the helpful information. :flowers: You guys are amazingly knowledgeable.

As per gauss's suggestion (and in keeping with my limited knowledge of electrical 'stuff'), I will begin by calling AT&T and requesting a free installation of a NID.

I'll keep y'all posted.

omni

Update: AT&T is coming out next week to install a new Network Interface Box, at no charge. :)

omni

The AT&T tech just left. I've now got the latest generation NID box installed on my house.

omni

Attachments

• phone 1.jpg
    phone 1.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 2
After I get the Ooma stuff set up and am ready to disconnect from incoming AT&T service, I assume all I will need to do is to move the orange toggle (the one with the blue and white wires) from the lower position (connect) to the upper position (disconnect).

Here are interior views of the NID:

Attachments

• phone 2.JPG
    phone 2.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 10
  • phone 3.jpg
    phone 3.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 7
  • phone 4.jpg
    phone 4.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 9
Nothing is ever easy!

Can the 4th orange plug with the wires in it be removed and inserted upside down? It looks like when upside down it might be disconnected.

You might have to be creative in routing the attached wire if you are not detaching it. If you can accomplish this then this might be a decent configuration that would allow you to reverse (ie restore to original configuration) it.

FWIW, Here is what appears to be a rather comprehensive document on converting over to VOIP. They address your new style "plugless" NID in general terms under the New advice for a new kind of Network Interface Unit heading.

They also have good advice about labeling the wires in the NID to warn any future telco employee against reconnecting the system (and thus possibly damaging your Ooma adapter).

-gauss

Back
Top Bottom